jets close to signing Pearson!

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by MeanGreen80, Apr 13, 2006.

1. phatnols

phatnols Member

I will take this signing just in case we dont get a Tackle in the 1st 2 rounds. You cant convince me OCallagan or some other 3rd rnd pick will start right away. Plus these signings are great cause people have no clue what position or player we are targeting. Nothing worse than seeing #29 pick likes so and so and another team trades up #28 and takes their player.

2. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

The dude started the season as a human turnstile. Kalif Barnes got the starting job after the 3rd or 4th game after Leftwich was getting POUNDED. :eek:hmy:

btw..... Kalif Barnes was who I wanted instead of a freakin kicker :shit:

3. hydro51

hydro51 New Member

this is why pearson is a perfect signing imo.. he is gonna have someething to prove he comes with a chip on his shoulder. guy should have alot of motivation

4. Joe Willie White Shoes

Joe Willie White Shoes Well-Known Member

The Perfect signing??? No need to draft OL??? The end of the Ferguson talk?? Are you guys on crack or something?? The Jets sign a decent center and a back up LT coming off a serious knee injury and now we are all set at OL and are taking a QB or RB or something????

Pearson is not the answer to anything other than depth. Teague was signed to a two year contract, which means he is a "hold the fort" guy. While Teague fills a hole, Pearson looks like nothing more than depth and competition.

As for QB, the Jets are far more settled there with Pennington (Pearson has "something to prove" because he stunk last year and is coming off an injury, but Pennington is "done"????) and Ramsey than the OL with Jones, Kendall Teague, Moore and whoever. While the FO has done a very good job filling some holes with affordable players, there is nothing the Jets have done that indicates or dictates that they pass on Ferguson or Mangold or both or that they sign Leinart or Cutler or anything else.

There's a big difference between what YOU want the Jets to do and what the JETS want to do. I still don't think the Jets are drafting a QB, particularly one with a questionable arm and a history of arm injuries. And I still don't see a quality LT on the roster.

5. hydro51

hydro51 New Member

you should try your own advice:up:

6. vilmatic

vilmatic Active Member

ya, what's up with that?

7. MyFavoriteMartian28

I think if we actually like Cutler as much as is rumored, we will trade down a few spots... this way we can take Cutler, add other pick(s) and avoid the feared "reach pick". I think our new FO has proven they have enough sense not to take a player at #4 that they can get at #7 (as a for instance)... especially if it means they can add picks via trade. Let the Titans have Leinart, none of these 3 QBs will be a bust if they are groomed properly to play in the NFL.

8. Hazardous Waters

Supposedly, it is a random glitch.

9. EcKo151

EcKo151 Active Member

But he's right.

Signing Trey Teague and possibly Mike Pearson should not "put away" the talks of DBrick or even Mangold at 29...Like it or not, even with those 2 deals(Pearson pending), this OLine is still very weak.

10. 1028

1028 Active Member

We have a LT in Adrian Jones and (might) sign another LT in Mike Pearson. I dont see what DBrick would do for us after such a signing. And Im not one of those vehemently opposed to drafting Brick either, so bias isnt a question here either

11. SuppaMan

SuppaMan New Member

considering how often leftwich was obliterated last season, i want nothing to do with any of their linemen

12. F Miami

F Miami Active Member

It is what it is: a cheap gamble that could pay off. If we made a bad bet at least we're not out a heck of a lot.

13. lebojets

lebojets New Member

Pearson wolud be a good signing. Exact type of player they keep on getting. Smart and blue collar. Academic All American out of college. Thats all you need to year. This eliminates the need to draft a o linemen in the first rd. They will get them later. This way we get our impact play makers early.

14. vilmatic

vilmatic Active Member

looked up his scouting report in Mel's book (which is an utter waste of money by the way) (except in this instance): Pearson graduated with a 4.25. Mel went out of his way to confirm that that's not a typo.

15. baamf

baamf Active Member

Are you talking GPA? How can you have higher than a 4.00? Maybe this is the new math, and I've been out of school too long... :eek:hmy:

16. vegaskarl

vegaskarl Well-Known Member

Unless he is healthy and it takes at least two years to recover from in injury like that (if ever) I do not see this as an upgrade over Jones.

17. MyFavoriteMartian28

You are all overthinking the ramifications of a rumor. We NEED depth. How many players come out of the draft to start right away? Not many... so having some veterans we can fall back on this season is a good thing. I don't think any of the signings we made will effect the draft in a negative way - they are all depth signings and will allow us to approach the draft as though we aren't trying to find immediate starters with every pick. All the FAs we brought in will give us flexibility in the draft, that was the point... none of these guys are going to be expected to do anything more than hold down the fort.

The good teams in the league are the ones that have a solid core of veterans that they add to every year through the draft, but NEVER have to rely on the draft to fill more than maybe one starting role. Our front office is acquiring good-average veteran talent that will be able to hold down a starting role until the youth that we select in this draft is ready to be introduced into the starting lineup and gameplan.

By signing a couple of veteran O-linemen it will allow us to hold off on selecting the 3-4 offensive linemen that many people were calling for on day one and we can instead get our linemen later in the draft because signing veterans is the equivalent of buying rookies time to develop. Now we have more freedom to use higher picks on defense and on playmakers... like snagging a new RB to replace Martin next year. Previously we didn't have the freedom to do such a thing.

18. ButtleMan

ButtleMan New Member

Good point about depth. It will also help us with a rotation in game to get the starters some rest.
    last year the starters could not come out for a play or series because the backups sucked which led to some very tough 4 th quarters.
    The better the personal signed as backups, the better the starters will be.

19. lebojets

lebojets New Member

No they would play him at r/tackle because he would fit better there coming off of an acl injury. Then they can groom one of there new tackles that they pick in rd 3,4 or 5. He would be a hold the fort type of guy who can still be productive until the rookies are ready.

20. vilmatic

vilmatic Active Member

I'm all for depth - I just don't get why we aren't getting any depth at RT. I mean, great, we'll have a backup LT, but what about the right side. For god sakes, will someone please think of the right side!