Jets as NFL's No. 2 Most Improved Team.....

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by LF911SC, Aug 7, 2021.

1. LF911SC

LF911SC Well-Known Member

https://www.newyorkjets.com/news/espn-ranks-jets-as-nfl-s-no-2-most-improved-team

ESPN Ranks Jets as NFL's No. 2 Most Improved Team
    Joe Douglas Added Zach Wilson, Carl Lawson, Corey Davis, Elijah Moore Among Others in Offseason
    Aug 06, 2021 at 08:30 AM

[​IMG]

Ethan Greenberg
    Team Reporter

ESPN writer Mike Clay recently published an article ranking the NFL's most improved teams -- the Jets came in at No. 2.

Big additions: DE Carl Lawson, WR Corey Davis, OT Morgan Moses, QB Zach Wilson, OG Alijah Vera-Tucker, WR Elijah Moore, S Lamarcus Joyner, DT Sheldon Rankins, RB Tevin Coleman, LB C.J. Mosley

Key losses: QB Sam Darnold, WR Breshad Perriman, DL Henry Anderson, OLB Jordan Jenkins, OLB Jordan Jenkins, OLB Tarell Basham, LB Neville Hewitt, CB Brian Poole, RB Frank Gore.

"Edge rusher, wide receiver, offensive line and, of course, quarterback have been problem areas for the Jets for years," Clay wrote. "The new regime addressed all four, adding an impact edge rusher in Lawson; several wide receivers in Davis, second-round pick Moore and Keelan Cole; offensive line upgrades in Moses and Vera-Tucker; and a quarterback (hopefully) with second-overall pick Wilson.

"Six of the team's top-10 defenders in terms of 2020 snaps have departed, but the unit -- especially with [C.J.] Mosley back -- looks better on paper. This roster still has plenty of voids, but the 2021 offseason was a step in the right direction."

All eyes externally may be on Wilson, the No. 2 overall pick, in the early part of training camp, but Moore has impressed in nearly every practice.

"You guys heard all of us -- Saleh, myself, his teammates, him -- he wants to be as good as he could possibly be," OC Mike LaFleur said. "He's just ultra-prepared, he knows what he's doing. He's extremely detailed, that's what's cool about him because when he makes a mistake or he doesn't know what he's doing, he just flat out doesn't know what he's doing. It's not because he made that mistake the day before or two days before. He rarely makes the same mistake, if ever. He's just on top of his stuff, he's a talented young man. It's cool because as he's learning this scheme you can tell that he's getting comfortable and his skillset can really shine through."

Most of the new Jets have been impressive in training camp. Davis had his best practice on Thursday and Lawson has been a menace off the edge, frequently applying pressure to the quarterback.

"I had some of the highest regard for him before he even got here," DC Jeff Ulbrich said. "I think he's one of those rare guys where he's an exceptional player, but the general public doesn't know him yet. The general public is obviously very caught up in sacks and quarterback disruption, the statistical part of [pass] rushing. He doesn't always check those boxes, but he's been a guy that's got historic win rates. His obsession with this game, now to see him up close, as far as his stance, the timing of his hands and his feet, the distance from the tackles foot, the way he studies the tackle set, the way he studies the offense. It's as obsessed as I've ever seen. From that standpoint, I'm blown away."

Jets81 and NCJetsfan like this.
  2. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Thanks for posting. I'm curious...do you know who the #1 team was?

BuddyRyans46 likes this.
  3. BuddyRyans46

BuddyRyans46 Active Member

hey NC so are u ready for me to continue my list???

4. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

Jacksonville.

5. Losmeister

Losmeister Well-Known Member

click on the link

smh

KingRoach likes this.
  6. LF911SC

You know, thats a great question, I know they picked the Jags but there actually are some deserving teams out there for consideration. I mean I think the Browns might finally have done it and gone from a so so contender to a serious one.

Guess the Jags with a shiny new QB, RB, HC immediately goes into consideration, I dont know if I agree they did more than we did but I get it

7. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

This was obviously done before the green and white scrimmage

8. dawinner127

dawinner127 Well-Known Member

The additions look so much nicer than what we lost. We actually added football players .. wow

NCJetsfan likes this.
  9. cmcm750203

cmcm750203 Well-Known Member

Meyer is a huge question mark, imo. We've seen what happens in college with him when things start to go awry. If they start off shitty, how is he gonna react? Will he have some more "health issues"?

NCJetsfan likes this.
  10. LF911SC

I agree, hes a huge question mark, especially in how long is he willing to stay in Jax to rebuild that team. Hes not in Ohio where he could pretty much sign the majority of players he needed.

Draft, FA and the cap, a whole different animal

NCJetsfan and cmcm750203 like this.
  11. JetsUK

JetsUK Well-Known Member

If Jax and Jets were rated the #1 and #2 most improved teams over last year then I hate to think who was below them....

stinkyB and NCJetsfan like this.
  12. ukjetsfan

ukjetsfan Well-Known Member

It just goes to show the offseason championship can not be judged accurately until the actual season is over, or at least well underway.

13. teamgreen

teamgreen Well-Known Member

First time seeing this article, but gotta admit-- anything that lists Perriman, Jenkins, and Gore as "key losses" quickly loses my interest. None of those guys is anything close to an NFL starter and their snap counts and production this year (and inability to sign with a team despite the huge RB injuries across the league) shows that other teams don't even think they are quality depth.

This IMO gets to a much larger point which is the Jets may have been much more talent-poor than most realized. A lot of fans and pundits were similarly shocked with the trade of Herndon, who after 3 games is sitting at 2 targets and #4 on the TE depth chart on a team who lost their top 2 TEs in an offseason move and an injury.

#13 teamgreen, Sep 29, 2021
    Last edited: Sep 29, 2021
    NCJetsfan likes this.
  14. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

We should have known the article was a pile of shite by the addition of Frank Gore in the key loss section.

Leicester Jet, Brook! and CotcheryFan like this.
  15. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

Whoever wrote it must be close to Gase.

Jets69, Brook! and K'OB like this.
  16. JetsFanDoc

JetsFanDoc Well-Known Member

Lol, just further proves the junkery of these sort of articles

NCJetsfan and Jets69 like this.