Jets are trading Hardman to the Chiefs

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by GREG, Oct 18, 2023.

1. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

That's gonna be our franchise LT right there. A 6th round diamond.

twown, BrooklynJetsFan, cval and 2 others like this.
  2. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

Someone has to protect Arch Manning

stinkyB, twown, abyzmul and 2 others like this.
  3. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

i can't understand the hate for uzo. he's a TE2 and has been one of the better blocking TEs in the NFL this season. he's also a great locker room guy. nothing wrong with uzo. he's a solid TE who will be gone after this year, but no reason to cut him. coob won't be cut becuase he's cheap and rodgers best friend pretty much. thats a make rodgers happy move. remember rodgers gave up like 12 mil a year of his own money so we can have guys like cobb. cutting him would be shitty.

Cook and lawson however is fine. lawson never lived up to the contract and has been outplayed by JJ, JFM, and huff. he's DE4/5. cook I never wanted and he looks even worse then I expected him to, which is saying alot becuase I expected him to be pretty mediocre.

4. tomdeb

tomdeb Well-Known Member

You're entitled to your opinion, but IMO Ruckert is a MUCH better and cheaper TE2 than Uzo. Yeah, yeah, we are keeping Uzo and Cobb for the "locker room," but the games are won and lost on the field.
    Didn't you see Parsons blow past Uzo UNTOUCHED on our first play in the Dallas game. If Uzo is one of the "Better blocking TE," as you say, why didn't he even touch him?
    Ruckert is a much better blocker.
    Uzo is another Douglas overpay.

As for Cobb, regardless if he's Rodgers' friend, why is WR3? He has played 49% of the offensive snaps (WHY???).
    Make him WR5 if we have to keep him active. No wonder Zach cannot find anyone to throw to with Cobb unable to create get any separation.
    You must have missed the recent article that statistically right now Cobb is the worst player in the NFL.
    But since Rodgers likes him, we have to keep playing him, right?

5. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

Slow down just a tad. Ruckert is a promising TE that has way to go as a blocker. They blew by him twice or three times on tha last game and damned near got Zach killed. Uzo better than good, That was Lawrence or Parsons blowing by Uzo, the absolute best in the business.

GasedAndConfused and NCJetsfan like this.
  6. tomdeb

tomdeb Well-Known Member

LOL! Slow down yourself. Jets X factor says Uzo had the 3rd WORST blocking score on the jets in 2022 behind only Brown and Tomlinson.
    They also said this year Uzo has brought nothing to the table as a blocker.
    They have Ruckert rated much higher as a blocker, and said Ruckert threw the key block in Hall's long run v. Buffalo.
    The jets have won their last two games, which happens to correspond with Ruckert, Huff, and Gibson getting more playing time, and the old overpays like Lawson and Uzo on the pine more. :D

SOJAZ likes this.
  7. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

Well, you can't really be effective if you don't play. I have a hard time imagining that Hardman would be any worse than Cobb. When we signed Cobb, I thought he would be #5/6 WR. Then we basically admitted Mims was a failure, which moved him to #5, Davis retired, moving him to #4, and for some unknown reason coaches did not like Hardman, who is significantly faster and better blocker than Cobb. Again, let's see how Hardman does in KC, but like I said it's very difficult to imagine he would be any worse than Cobb. I don't know what it is with this coaching staff, but they are insisting on playing veteran guys who are just not that good. Brown, Cobb, Cook are the most notable examples. They are just not good players who got significant playing time, causing major damage.

People who say Gipson replaced Hardman are wrong. Gipson has 4 yards receiving total this year. I have no idea if he can be a good #3, but so far he didn't get much of a chance either. He did play ST, and had this amazing return against Buffalo, but then also majorly screwed up against Denver, which could have easily cost us the game. At WR though he gave little. The point is that we need another good WR. I mean giving Hardman away for nothing is fine if coaches don't play him anyway, but having Cobb as #3 WR is malpractice.

JD needs to do something. Davis retiring sucked, but we should have had a good #4 who can step up as losing players is not something that's new in this League, and we didn't and still don't.

SOJAZ and tomdeb like this.
  8. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

We absolutely need to do something both at WR and OL. Agree. Coaching staff need to play best players and not prioritize vets

9. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

Agree with you they need to play Ruckert, Huff and Gibson and a couple of other young guns more. I don’t agree with Jets x assessment on Uzo for 2023. . He has been good in 23. He should be there for his blocking ability on two TE formations. Lawson is history as should be Cook. Tomlinson is holding his own nicely this year much better than in 22. Randall C is really not helping Zach. We desperately need another WR to compliment GW.

SOJAZ and tomdeb like this.
  10. tomdeb

tomdeb Well-Known Member

Great point on Cobb--Brownlee and/or Gibson can't be any worse.

papapump and Borat like this.
  11. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

you are picking 1 play and it's a top 3 edge on a TE. come on. and it's the run blocking which I specified later. a lot of breece success ws sprung on good blocks by uzo. he'll be gone next year likely for cap room and ruckert will be TE2, but there is 0 reason to cut/trade uzo right now which was my point

NCJetsfan likes this.
  12. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

I will tell you what, Hardman already had a 50 yard punt return for KC, Out of 4 mil deal he signed, Jets ended up paying over 3 mil, and KC under 1 mil. And what if something happens to Gipson? who will return punts and will that person be Gipson/Hardman level? Or of Gipson muffs a few more punts like against Denver it was nice to have another option, which costs additionally less than 1 mil on top of what we already paid. Or another veteran WR in case coaches finally realize Cobb stinks. Just seems like a good deal for KC for so little that they gave up, and not so much for us. Unless JD has something else lined up and needed a roster spot.

SackRecord99, papapump and SOJAZ like this.
  13. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

Hardman is mostly a jag and got a small deal from us. In the grand scheme of things he probably really wouldn’t have moved the needle all too much.

But I don’t understand the hard line in the sand this coaching staff seems to take with players sometimes. We’re pretty weak at receiver with limited team speed when Cobb and Lazard are on the field. It didn’t make much sense to not throw him out there for even 15-20% of the snaps and see what happens.

14. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

Good point about Lazard. The guy is no Corey Davis. Just doesn't have the speed, more of a large catch radius plodding 50/50 ball guy. With him out there, you would think you need someone who can compensate with higher speed to stretch out the defense. Instead we have Cobb, who not only slow as hell but also cannot block. It's really quite surprising to see him out there so much - or at all really. Unless JD can find a good replacement, I am afraid this weak WR room will bite him and all of us in the nuts like poor OLine did.

tomdeb and Jets79 like this.
  15. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I was not happy that the CS never used Hardman, but if the CS had made it clear that they were never going to use him, they might as well get something for him. I truly get the feeling that for some reason the Jets CS just didn't like or trust him; otherwise, it makes little or no sense imo that they would never play him. The week after Gipson muffed those punts, I truly expected to see Hardman back there, but no, it was Cobb.

Borat and papapump like this.
  16. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

17. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

You just said it. He was a third tier player and he was trying to big time the lowly Jets and make first tier player decisions. They called his bluff and sent him and his dumb chain packing.

The mistake was signing him at all. It was like they felt they needed to sign someone once OBJ fell through.

18. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

If JD gets someone else at WR, I can see your point. But let's say Gipson gets hurt or CS finally realizes Cobb sucks, then who are we going to play? Hardman could have been the guy in this situation even though he was in doghouse up until now. After all, he was already paid 75% of salary, the remainder is relatively minor. Having a fast experienced back-up for little remaining money in case of Gipson injury or a light bulb going off on how terrible Cobb is to me is worth more than 6th for 7th swap.

Again, moot point if JD finds the answer to this question and freeing up a roster spot is a part of a bigger picture this season, but right now WR situation is a bit scary. It certainly does not help that Zach has no one aside from GW who can separate even a little. I actually think Zach can take a next step forward at this point as OC is much better than before, and our offense can take a step forward, but having Cobb out there all the time just doesn't help. Davis' retirement I feel really hurt us. I hope JD does something before trading deadline.

#58 Borat, Oct 23, 2023
    Last edited: Oct 23, 2023
    NCJetsfan likes this.
  19. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I don't disagree at all. I don't understand why they didn't use Hardman. I agree that the offense and Zach need another reliable WR. Hopefully, they activate Brownlee and give him a shot, and use Gipson more too. I hope that he will do something as well, but I'd be surprised if he trades any draft capital. Next year Rodgers will be back, they have fewer draft picks, not a lot of cap space, quite a few FAs, and could lose anywhere between 1-3 starters. Even though I think Zach will continue to improve and his confidence grow, I'd be surprised if they use assets from 2024 (draft picks or cap space from this season that they could roll forward) to add any more players this year.

20. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

With Cobb out and Gipson useless, no one getting separation, we could have used a guy with some speed like Hardman. He could have actually finally get some playing time and perhaps help Zach. Instead he is gone early for pennies. JD could not hold on for a week to give him away for next to nothing tomorrow of we don't need him? Because we actually do. We NEED a fast WR.

JD had better do something before trading deadline, particularly after giving away a WR who could have helped. We are not going to get lucky like this every game, this is not sustainable. Playing Cobb is also not sustainable. Gipson is not helping, he may actually be a worse WR than Cobb, who was the worst in the League out of everyone who played. We need someone else aside from GW who can occasionally get open.

LogeSection2RowJ likes this.