Jets are picking 4th and 10th in the 2022 NFL Draft

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Brook!, Jan 9, 2022.

1. Dax89

Dax89 Active Member

K'OB we traded from 24 to 14 and got a 4th back the following year for for 2 3rd round picks. If you chose to use the "value chart" as a gauge #16 and #51 are of higher point value, not to mention all the analytics suggest that 2nd and 3rd round picks are undervalued based on the old chart.

K'OB likes this.
  2. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

True but 14 isn't a top 10 pick :)

Also, I think it was a great bit of business by JD to get it so cheap but others think he 'wasted' those third-round picks.

3. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

Phily has already announced Hurts will be the starter next year. (Pity them, he is the ultimate fools gold). I don't see any reason for them to want a trade up.

PJ4Ever likes this.
  4. apjbfc

apjbfc Well-Known Member

Well their not going to say.

Naaa this dudes shit. Philly we're getting you a new guy no matter what.

You don't weaken your hand at this stage for no reason, especially as hurts is at least serviceable and cheap.

Sent from my M2007J20CG using Tapatalk

5. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

How is he fools gold? He basically just completed his rookie year (in terms of games played) in the middle of the season and ended up in the playoffs. He improved a lot as a passer from year one to year two and when all else fails he’ll at the very least always be a decent dual threat.

For a guy like you that’s constantly banging the table to build the rest of the roster before finding their quarterback, Hurts is literally perfect for that situation on a second round contract with no fifth year option looming.

I suspect your “he held Devonta Smith back” thing to be part of why you said that. Otherwise, Hurts is perfect for everything you want in a rebuild with a team that has three first round picks this year.

HomeoftheJets and PJ4Ever like this.
  6. PJ4Ever

PJ4Ever Well-Known Member

Theres a difference between being noncommittal and literally naming him the starter. You never know though, anything can happen.

7. PJ4Ever

Smith was held back a bit by Hurts, no question, he was also held back by the fact they became the biggest running team in the league % wise (and Im sure they had a lot to do with Hurts inconsistencies.)

ouchy likes this.
  8. Jonathan_Vilma

Look at the massive leap that Hurts took from year one to year two. It wasn’t quite what happened with Lamar Jackson since he won the MVP award, but people that are dragging Hurts are likely the same people that said Lamar Jackson would never be a decent passer in this league.

9. MDJets

MDJets Well-Known Member

Unlike the previous years, I have no preferences nor am I targeting certain players or positions in this year’s draft, quite yet. I have the same feeling or approach as NC Jets. The Jets have a lot of holes to fill and really could fill in nicely on both sides of the ball quickly IF JD can begin the FA being aggressive, hopefully landing couple of high end players. I like NCJets take, if JD acquires a couple of high end Offensive players I have no qualms if he go all defense with the first two or three picks. Or vice versa. Hopefully JD has a success in the FA which to me gives him more flexibility and options in the draft. I am keeping my options open on who the players I want because it is wide open imo.

10. PJ4Ever

I mean I like Lamar but he took another step back this year after starting the year out strong. Neither will ever be great passers but w their running they can certainly be viable starters, esp Jackson who’s already probably the best running QB ever

11. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

He didn't really improve as a passer dude. Even 80% of the Eagles fanbase want a new QB and Hurt's reduced to a backup. I watched 7 or 8 of their games this season. He IS fools gold. A running QB who cannot manage a downfield passing attack to save his life.

In the playoff game we saw the same faults everyone has been complaining about his whole career. He is a one read QB, who only occasionally throws to a second option when he scrambles - but his first instinct is to run. Most of his passes over 20 yards are over or under thrown, and worst of all, he continues to hold to ball too long on deep routes. This is a QB that waits until a WR hits the end of their route to throw, rather than throwing to where the route is going. And when he does throw the accuracy is erratic and usually wildly off target. He is the kind of QB that can beat crummy defenses with his legs, screens, and good TE play design, but he continually fails when asked to run a genuine passing attack.

The "he held Devonta Smith back" thing isn't my thing. Do you think I'm somehow committed to Smith? Its an Eagles thing, and an entire league thing. Maybe he is a decent QB to hold the fort while they build up their core. He is the kind of QB that can make you think he's the answer because he can move the chains with his legs. But when asked to do more he is easily exposed and easily shut down.

12. Jonathan_Vilma

Yes, but this is usually the MO of all running quarterbacks early in their career. All I’m saying is that everyone’s so quick to write him off when he’s still incredibly young and accounted for 26 touchdowns last year.

I think many people (not saying you) only saw the Eagles run into the buzzsaw that is the Buccaneers and use that as a singular basis for him sucking. That team was so unbelievably overmatched and the game plan was trash (although I like their coaching staff).

Does his year two look that much different than Josh Allen’s did? One less win, three less touchdowns, more passing yards, a better completion percentage and the same amount of interceptions.

HomeoftheJets likes this.
  13. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

I don't think the eagles fans are judging him on just the TB game. This is a QB that got benched in college for Tua. He is still the same QB. This progress you mention doesn't exist.

apij may be right though, and that the starter announcement is just the eagles not showing their hand.

14. hornblower

hornblower Well-Known Member

Draft gurus notwithstanding the Jets will pick an edge rusher at #4. The HC doesn't like to blitz and having a rusher from each side is the plan.

15. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

What if Hutchinson and Thibodeaux are off the board and Karlaftis says he won't play for the Jets?

16. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

The problem with that statement is that more than likely there won't be an Edge available at #4 who is worthy of the pick. JD will not reach for an Edge out of desperation. I wouldn't even count on getting one at #10. If he gets one in the 1st round, it will probably be after a trade down, but I think it more likely that he doesn't get an Edge until the 2nd round. It sucks, is not what I had hoped for, but it is what it is. Both Hutchinson and Thibodeaux will most likely be gone in the top 3 picks. IMO Karlaftis isn't worth either of our 1st round picks. I'm not even certain that he's worthy of a 1st round pick. I've watched a pretty fair amount of video of him today and I just don't see what everyone loves about him.

KingRoach and blackssmagic like this.
  17. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

Seeing more and more mocks that have one of Thib or Hutch dropping to 4.

I want to believe...

Borat and NCJetsfan like this.
  18. Jonathan_Vilma

Huh? He got benched for Tua, transferred and almost won the Heisman the following year. This is irrelevant though. If you can’t see progress from early on in his college career to his final year and then year one to year two in the NFL, then you’re not looking hard enough or intentionally blind to it.

19. hornblower

hornblower Well-Known Member

Why?

Borat and REVISion like this.
  20. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

I explained his limitations right away. If you can see this "progress" why don't you explain what I'm missing rather than just insisting it exists.