Jets Are Looking at McCown

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by SouthBayJetsfan4life, Mar 23, 2016.

1. pdxdrew

pdxdrew Well-Known Member

It would be kind of a one year holding pattern until Petty could show his worth. But Hoyer wasn't that bad just got injured.

2. The 1985er

The 1985er Well-Known Member

I'm not opposed to bringing in McCown he's a solid veteran QB in that Fitzpatrick mold. Solid spot starter/hold the fort/backup.

3. Catfish Billy

Catfish Billy Well-Known Member

He will be a great backup for Petty

4. NoodleArm

NoodleArm Well-Known Member

Gotta do their due diligence, I guess. That being said, at the point when you're considering McClown, the Jets might as well start anyone at QB. He/she/it would probably be decent with the cast that Mac will have assembled by TC.

5. DoubleDecker87

DoubleDecker87 Well-Known Member

McCown as a backup wouldn't be the worst thing in the world..

Wow.. replace McCown with Fitzpatrick and it's the exact same thing we all said last year. Granted Fitz>McCown.

But regardless McCown, RGIII, Hoyer, etc.. should all be looked at because Fitz isn't getting paid what he wants and nor should he.

dogg, NCJetsfan and LAJet like this.
  6. LongIslandBlitz

LongIslandBlitz Well-Known Member

If we sign Mcown and don't bring Fitz back I'm gonna lose my mind

7. LongIslandBlitz

No we really shouldn't be looking at them,Honestly I rather just start Geno then bring in a new scrub QB who has to learn a completley new offense .Fitzpatrick had success because he played in Gaileys system for years and we have the right weapons around him.

HomeoftheJets likes this.
  8. DoubleDecker87

DoubleDecker87 Well-Known Member

Pretty sure all QB's we are looking at would obviously brought in as a backup/competition for the #1.. That's obvious.. IF (big IF) Fitz doesn't come back a veteran QB will be brought in which is why we are doing due diligence with all available QB's. Proactive rather than reactive... Hence a smart decision..

NCJetsfan likes this.
  9. irishwhip03

irishwhip03 Well-Known Member

Im surprised how many fans here would be ok with him over Fitz..even if it comes at half the price.

We see one season of above average QB play now all of the sudden any available QB can duplicate what Fitz did last year?

Doubtful

HomeoftheJets likes this.
  10. thirtyoddfreestyle

thirtyoddfreestyle Well-Known Member

maybe we can call vinny testaverde or good ol' chad P

if we waste our time and cap space on this 36 yr old clown i will lose alot of respect for Mike

#50 thirtyoddfreestyle, Mar 23, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 23, 2016
  11. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

I venture to say Fitz could not duplicate what he did last year...so the playing field needs to be re-set. But at anything over the 9-10M mark he is not in the running.

KingRoach likes this.
  12. thirtyoddfreestyle

thirtyoddfreestyle Well-Known Member

I agree completely - we all know fitz's game too… make that money with hard work… then coast. that was definitely the best season he will ever have. But i still think we should INK him for 2-3 more years…

and im very comfortable with releasing Geno.. VERY VERY COMFORTABLE. he is garbage, hes not a "SMART" player…

13. Rockinz

Rockinz Well-Known Member

McCowan? God please no!

I don't get why they are not going to pursue RG3? He must know playing in Chans spread is best for him too... RG3 in Clevland will get smashed into retirement... He must be asking for too much money too.

Fitz needs to cave and sign for $9 mil per and move on!

14. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I disagree with your assessment. I think your assessment is wildly optimistic. I don't think we're nearly that good.

15. LongIslandBlitz

If Fitz doesnt come back then Geno will get another shot until he fails for the third time.

16. KingRoach

KingRoach Well-Known Member

Ok lets pick a team (or a few) and sans the qb compar 1. Running Backs 2. Wide Receivers 3. Offensive Line 4. Defensive Line 5. Linebackers 6. Secondary. I'm a little skeptical about including teams that went on a free agent frenzy bc the players haven't played together yet but I'd be interested. Seriously
    I think it would be an interesting convo... Maybe I should start a thread. What do you think?

17. NCJetsfan

If you think it would be an interesting convo, then start a thread by all means. I'm sorry, but I don't follow other teams very closely, so I couldn't even begin to respond intelligently to comparing our units to those on other teams. I just know our weaknesses and unless the OL is greatly upgraded and/or we don't get a legit pass rushing OLB, I don't see us having better than an 8-8 record.

18. KingRoach

KingRoach Well-Known Member

Wait a second... you don't follow other teams but you're sure that "even with a top qb" the jets aren't contenders? Here I'll start NE vs Jets

1 RB Jets have a better running back tandem
    2 WR Jets I believe have a better receiving core but it could be close with Edelman and Gronk but I think that Brady makes Edelman better just like he made Welker better
    3 OL Tie Pro football focus has them ranked 25 and 26
    4 DL Jets
    5 LB Patriots
    6 Secondary Patriots Pro football focus puts the Jets in the top 15 but the patriots beat them out.

So I have the score at 3-2 in favor of the Jets.

In an equal world, the Jets are a top flight team. Unfortunately this is not an equal world so our qb performance next year is a complete unknown but your statement that the Jets wouldn't be contenders even with a top qb just doesn't cut the mustard.

19. NCJetsfan

I said they wouldn't be contenders for the SB, and I stand by that. You're entitled to your opinion. Comparing units is silly. That's not how games are judged. It may be interesting to you, but doesn't mean squat in the end.

All that matters is what is on the scoreboard. If you can't protect your QB and keep him upright, he isn't going to be on the field for long or put up many points. If you can't consistently pressure opposing QBs, creating TOs, incompletions and sacks, you're not gonna stop other teams from scoring very oftean and you're not gonna win that many games.

20. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

where's Dirty when we need him???