Jets agree with T George Fant

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Mogriffjr, Mar 16, 2020.

1. DefenseWinsChampionships

Exactly.

Undrafted in 2016; overlooked by every GM and scout.
    Was never a reliable full time starter with Seattle. Injuries.
    Was not wanted by Seattle and was let go.

Someone like this? Should not get anything more than the very minimum, until proven otherwise. He has not proven jack shit.

2. Quinnenthebeast

Quinnenthebeast Well-Known Member

This move already shows that Beachum is a goner and my guess is he was one of the guys they wanted to bring back for a year as a stop gap/mentor. I assume he told the team to pound sand and they needed someone so thus they made this move. One year for $9 million for Beachum is what most posters figured, so this Fant contract seems like that but with extra years attached.

3. IIMeanDeanII

IIMeanDeanII Well-Known Member

If he wasn't wanted by the SeaHawks, then why did they pony up 3.5mill to keep him prior to him hitting FA?

Fant wants to be a starting LT in this league... He isn't going to get that with the Seahawks because they are riding behind their current LT in Duane Brown.

Sometimes It's not about IF you want someone, It's about, IF they want you.

We as Jets fans, should understand that better than most.

The undrafted argument is silly too, how many UDFA have there been that have had excellent football careers? I mean.. It happens all the time. Your boy.... Robby... He happens to be one of those guys.

He essentially got a One year, 10mill dollar prove it deal. If he over-performs that, we are in amazing shape moving forward. If he flops, well, we aren't stuck by any means.

Relax... You truly don't even know what we have yet.

#103 IIMeanDeanII, Mar 17, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 17, 2020
  4. Ptflea2

Ptflea2 Well-Known Member

Thank you!......you get it :)

Yankjetfan likes this.
  5. DefenseWinsChampionships

Because Seattle was smart. They gave him damn near the minimum of $3.5M. Pennies on the dollar. Like I stated he's proven this far to be worth nothing more than the minimum; not no freaking $10M. And why did Seattle pretty much A.) Give him the minimum? and B.) Didn't extended to a long term contract? And you can never have enough depth @ O-Line it's just he's not proven to be shit thus far.

We did not bring Joe Douglas here for this.

6. Imagesrdecieving

Imagesrdecieving Well-Known Member

It wasn't damn near the minimum. They could have tendered him as an UDFA at less than a million. Instead they tendered him at a 2nd rounder for 2.5 mill more and pretty much guaranteeing that no other team would match.

They wanted to retain his services but he wanted to start at LT.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Biggs, Falco21, IIMeanDeanII and 3 others like this.
  7. Ptflea2

Ptflea2 Well-Known Member

w
    Seattle is limited in what they can do because of Russel Wilson's contract.....I'm sure they are also still trying to get Clowney to resign (didn't they give up a #1 for him?).......From all accounts, Seattle liked him, wanted to keep him but wasn't going to start him at LT, which he's tweeted that's the position he wants to play at. When he did start at LT towards the end of the year, he held his own. Because of his age and probably his athleticism, Douglas is banking on him improving even more.

And IMO, this is actually what Jets need in a GM = Someone who doesn't have to use FA as an unlimited ATM because they sucked in the draft.

8. TwoHeadedMonster

TwoHeadedMonster Well-Known Member

As of now, Fant is the 21st highest paid OT in the NFL for 2020.

Beachum was the 14th highest paid OT in the NFL in 2019.
    Hell, Fant was the 27th highest paid OT in 2019.

I don't think the Jets broke the bank here, like some are suggesting. The Jets need about 10 new OL players in 2020, so he's sure to be one of the top 5 on the roster.

9. Harpua

Harpua Well-Known Member

Its is more or less a one year prove it deal for 7.25 mill, second year dead money is only 2 mill if we cut him. People are just upset that the GM is not playing Madden with the cap money.

10. jetsclaps

jetsclaps Well-Known Member

You can say whatever you want, and I can comment back.

You said this move is why you hate free agency, and in what fucking world does he deserve the money.

And I'm commenting back how stupid you sound, since you never even heard of Fant before the Jets signed him, so getting upset over a huge upside move makes zero sense.

I probably wouldnt have said anything if you said "never heard of him so I have my reservations if he is the future, but hopefully Joe D knows what he is doing."

11. jetsclaps

jetsclaps Well-Known Member

People knocking this move also would've loved it if the Jets signed Nate Solder last year. A big money OT who turned out to be a disaster.

Name recognition doesn't always equal a good move. Let's allow Joe to do his thing. Getting upset at this point is ridiculous.

12. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

That's our GM!

dawinner127 and IIMeanDeanII like this.
  13. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

You're correct that that is most of the reason I don't like him, but I didn't like him before that. I was delighted when Woody hired Ron Wolf to be a consultant, but was not happy when Casserly was hired too. I believed and still believe that it was a big insult to Wolf to bring in Casserly as well, and then apparently, Woody listened exclusively to Casserly rather than Wolf.

IIMeanDeanII likes this.
  14. Harpua

Harpua Well-Known Member

Mac had a history of being very active in free agency with one winning season and 0 playoff appearances to show for it. We are still dealing with the huge money contracts for little return he did, and now people want to turn around and do the same thing. Its insanity. We hired a guy that came up through the ranks under Ozzy Newsome, did anyone really believe he was going to spend big on mediocre guys like Mac did?

15. themorey

themorey Well-Known Member

cimini's #s are slightly different

NCJetsfan likes this.
  16. ukjetsfan

ukjetsfan Well-Known Member

I’m honestly not dissatisfied that he’s a lesser-known name. I have learned to mistrust tier one FA signings. I don’t want the splashy signings any more.

And I’ve gone through the routine of looking up a player and getting excited about his potential, only to be disappointed later. Maybe I’m jaded, but I don’t like paying a guy as if he’s already a solid starter when he hasn’t proved he can be.

I don’t like the signing. I hope My doubts prove groundless and he becomes a solid part of a rebuilt offensive line.

TwoHeadedMonster and SOJAZ like this.
  17. scott dierking II

scott dierking II Active Member

After seeing the contract, I have a theory:

It's basically a 1 year deal. Minimal cap hit if he's let go after year 1. Thus, I think Douglas sees that there's a good chance that the top 4 LT's won't be there at 11, especially after Arizona acquired Hopkins without giving up their #8. So I think he's going to trade down and pick up more draft capital (probably a 2nd) and snag Josh Jones and let him work his way into the starting LT conversation, but start Fant there initially. How does a 2nd round of Cushenberry/Ruiz and Pittman Jr. sound, with the best available CB and RB in the 3rd? I say this thinking the Jets are getting Fowler and won't need to draft Edge rusher. Again, this is all just my theory, but I think it's somewhat plausible. Would love to hear your thoughts.

Biggs and NCJetsfan like this.
  18. dmw

dmw Well-Known Member

He sounds like a versatile backup.

ukjetsfan likes this.
  19. dmw

dmw Well-Known Member

You sign expensive free agents when you have very few holes to fill, not when you have many, like the Jets do. Magic Mike didn't understand that.

themorey and NCJetsfan like this.
  20. DefenseWinsChampionships

Na. You spend and invest into your O-Line when you haven't featured a Franchise QB since Joe Namath and have Sam Darnold's future and potential on the line. Sam Darnold is one offensive line away from leading us to a lot more wins. Joe Douglas a former O-Lineman himself failed his 1st free agency in regards to rebuilding our O-Line with very good O-Lineman who are now off the market.