Jets agree with T George Fant

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Mogriffjr, Mar 16, 2020.

1. egelband

egelband Well-Known Member

Didn’t George Fant produce The Gong Show, years back?

2. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

It's interesting. Not terrible yet, but odd that it is the only move so far.

3. vokab206

vokab206 Well-Known Member

This news and with my city being on quarantine is a pretty crappy day.

4. JetsAreBadForYourHealth

JetsAreBadForYourHealth Well-Known Member

Seems like an overly sunny and optimistic take

Yea he could be if things go exactly as planned. Things for us usually end up going terribly or at best...worse than expected. A lot of things have to click for Fant to be a full time reliable starter

5. CBG

CBG Well-Known Member

not the way I wanted Joe D to begin 2020 as I don't luv this move but I will take a wait n see what else is done approach,,,,,,

6. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

He's ok. I don't love him as a player but I'm not going to act like I watched him all year long and say he sucks.

Stop taking PFF as a Bible of how good a player is. It can be an ok gauge to start and think about but a lot of it is subjective. It's a bunch of people sitting around grading players on a play without any context of scheme, playcall, play change or defensive scheme. A tackle gets credited with a pressure and/or sack if a corner blitzes off the edge and runs free in a jailbreak.

One thing about Seattle offensive lineman; they can ALWAYS run block. Especially the tackles. They're also (as Fant is) usually big boys that bully ends.

FJF and Red Menace like this.
  7. DefenseWinsChampionships

Say what you say about Macc but isn't Joe Douglas a former O-Lineman himself? Isn't horrific Offensive Line play both Sam & Bell's biggest problem and weakest positional group since he's arrived? Then why do we have cap space and not one proven awesome O-Linenan that we've all begged for all off-season before heading into the draft? but other teams have already addressed their O-Line heading into the draft? I'm pissed.

Mr mittens and blackssmagic like this.
  8. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Grain of salt here but Cimini is suggesting that Fant is Beachum's replacement at LT and the first piece of the OL the Jets are assembling for next year.

Was thinking about it and the fact that the Seahawks saw fit to give him the $3M RFA tag last year means something. He was a UDFA so they had no skin in the game from a prior pick commitment. They must have thought he was a good player to give him $3M in a league where the minimum was $720K.

9. Quinnenthebeast

Quinnenthebeast Well-Known Member

I don't understand this move:

The market: Conklin was going for $4million more for a good tackle prospect. I would pay that to upgrade from bad to good. Beachum could of been had for the same price on a short term deal (though I can't say for certain he told the team and Gase to F*** off).

As a player he is ranked terribly bad, but perhaps Joe can get more out of him. So then why did we have to pay $10 million/year if that was the case? A spot starter who used to be tight end is not worth low-mid level starting tackle salary. If they got him for like $6 million or something then I would be fine with it, but we just spent a lot for him. The devil is in the details I assume but should he complete that contract he will be paid most of that money.

I just don't get this franchise. To those of you who think this is all part of Joe Douglas' master plan, you have no idea. He is unproven as a GM right now and has no record to go on. I can't put blind faith in every new GM when I've seen this 100 times before.

blackssmagic likes this.
  10. Mogriffjr

Mogriffjr Well-Known Member

the jets have a ton of holes though, and to think, Conklin was a great run blocking T but was rather mediocre as a pass blocker. The thinking likely here is grab someone who showed promise but fell behind the ball for the Seahawks and essentially played as a blocking TE for half his snaps. It’s a huge risk but Douglas sees he’s a fit here. Put him at LT and let that athleticism and good feet go to work. Plus coming from the Seahawks, they are and have been a primarily strong run first team. We will see.

NCJetsfan and chandler like this.
  11. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

The country may be going through a coronavirus crisis, but some things never change...

FJF likes this.
  12. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

13. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Alan Funt did Candid Camera. Not sure if he is related in some way.

egelband likes this.
  14. blackssmagic

blackssmagic Well-Known Member

Has anyone thought Seattle has a good offensive line ever? Sorry but this guy seriously sucks.

15. IIMeanDeanII

IIMeanDeanII Well-Known Member

You're not serious, right? Seattle hasn't had a good OL since Pete Carrol has been there?

Ooookay

blackssmagic likes this.
  16. KWJetsFan

KWJetsFan Well-Known Member

Not sure what makes me want to drink more, The Jets or that damn virus going around.

17. BLottZ

BLottZ Member

Its a 13mil dollar deal, if he gets 30mil its because he played amazing. Good signing.

Edit: Turns out its only a 1 year 8mil deal and the Jets can decide from there. Even better.

#57 BLottZ, Mar 16, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 17, 2020
    FJF, NCJetsfan and chandler like this.
  18. Jetsfansince95

Jetsfansince95 Well-Known Member

In other news the bills traded for Stefon Diggs

19. AJT73

AJT73 Well-Known Member

Not sure how the whole cap things work but guaranteed 13.7 million. Average ten million a year. If it doesn’t work out should be able to cut him after year 1 without much cap hit. Seems like it’s worth a chance. Doesn’t move the needle but a piece. One of many we need. I think similar type deals for us will happen. One or two year contracts for players who can help but if not can be released with minimal cap hit.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  20. Martin&theJETS

Martin&theJETS Well-Known Member

Follow the stream of comments this guy makes. Keep watching the videos.