Jets acquired QB Kevin O'Connell

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Don, Sep 6, 2009.

1. JohnnyJohnson

JohnnyJohnson Banned

pretty much on the money with this post. :up:

2. CJLang

CJLang Well-Known Member

...and he was dumped by Belichik which is a clear admission that he made a a mistake and it was a bad pick. The knock on him at the Pats camp is that he has zero pocket presence....

Maybe he could run the wildcat for the Jets... J/K.... I think...

The Lions picked him up just to get a draft pick out of him. You can bet the Pats put out feelers and neither the Broncos nor the Chiefs bit on it, and the Lions most likely contacted the Broncos and the other teams that put in waiver claims to get a 7th.

I really think the jets are kicking the tires on this guy, and he may or may not pan out, but the idea he'll somehow increase their odds of getting Marshall seems far fetched at best.

3. CJLang

CJLang Well-Known Member

If it's Ainge or O'Connell someone will grab them on waivers first.

4. Italian Seafood

Italian Seafood New Member

I agree. I really wouldn't be surprised if they brought him in to get some scoop on the Pats offense. They are our main division rival, home opener and we play them twice. It's rare that a guy who was that high on the depth chart at QB becomes available right before you play that team, why not? Rex probably knows NE has the better team and a great O, but maybe he also knows if he can gather some good info he can come up with a plan to stop them and get a leg up in the division. That would be more contribution than we'd ever likely get from a 7th round pick.

5. WhiteShoeWillis

WhiteShoeWillis Well-Known Member

*cough* Chansi Stuckey *cough*

I really hope they wouldn't trade a pick for information. There has to be more to it.

6. bajakian

bajakian New Member

Our back up guard from Nebraska is also a seventh round pick

7. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Seriously, not even Mangini was desperate enough to do something like that.

8. Mambo9

Mambo9 Well-Known Member

6th... but I agree there is some value in a 7rd pick... especially to move up in the lower rounds (Greene)

9. Jetfanmack

Jetfanmack haz chilens?

Meh, 7th round is just first choice of potential UDFAs. I don't mind moving it if they think O'Connell is more valuable than that. We don't need a 4th QB, so I was very suspicious, but at the same time, McConnell can potentially be used as Marshall bait, as bait for another player (less likely), and for extracting Patriot secrets. Plus, the Jets really liked the kid coming out of school obviously.

10. WhiteShoeWillis

If there is more reason than just gathering information I have no problem with the move. You're not going to gain much of a competitive advantage picking him up and it's only really going to help for 1 game, if at all.

11. JohnnyJohnson

JohnnyJohnson Banned

This just in: The Jets are looking to acquire some player named "More bench space"

I've never heard of him

12. Italian Seafood

Wow, someone comes up with one example, what a shock. Point being it doesn't matter. We got Jamaal Westerman as an undrafted free agent and he's better than a guy we took with the #6 overall, so draft picks are a toss up anywhere. Same argument when we gave the 7th rounder back to Green Bay to wash our hands of Favre, sometimes you get more value out of a bottom feeder pick by doing something more creative with it than drafting a guy who probably won't make your team.

13. WhiteShoeWillis

I thought that was a foolish move. We've had that debate.

If 7th round picks are so worthless, why bother having a 7th round? Let's just change the draft to 5 rounds and let everyone else be UDFA's. If there's a guy sitting there your scouting department has identified as a potential starter down the road ala Stuckey, you have the opportunity to pick him before others get the chance.

7th round picks have value. I would argue that they have more value then gathering some info that may give you a slight advantage for one game in 2009.

14. Italian Seafood

Maybe Rex feels this gives him more than a slight advantage, considering we're not going to beat NE with our talent. This guy was their #2 QB a few weeks ago, which is more value to us than most 7th round picks are going to be.

Also, the draft used to be 12 rounds, they shortened it to 7, could have been 6 and it wouldn't have made much difference. It was probably ESPN's call anyway.

15. Mambo9

Mambo9 Well-Known Member

I agree with the analysis you make about him. Our scouts are high on him (and next year we'll need a 3rd QB anyways, might as well bring him in early and start coaching him up in our O), he might be inserted in a trade and he knows our worst enemies offense.
    The only bad thing is that it takes away one roster spot but I guess we'll be able to cope with that...

16. Mambo9

Mambo9 Well-Known Member

I agree a 7th round pick has it's importance but I think the Jets asked themselves:
    Would we select a QB with O'Connell's potential in the 7round considering we need a 3rd string QB? If the answer is "We'd never be so lucky, the guy is one of the best 75 players in the draft" (which is what the Jets scouting office thought of O'Connell in 08) then you might as well get him now while you can and start coaching/evaluating him now.
    I agree, as of now, it's a waisted roster spot but if the Scouts are so high on him let's give them a chance to work him out... like we would do with any 7th round pick...

17. AlioTheFool

AlioTheFool Spiveymaniac

Why doesn't anyone acknowledge that Clemens could actually be hurt enough to not be able to come in for at least a few weeks? I don't know anything about the injury, but what if the Jets saw a situation come together:

1) Our #2 QB is hurt, and we don't know the full extent
    2) This guy was a #2 backup of our primary current rival, so he has intimate knowledge
    3) He was high on our draft board
    4) The Lions claimed him but only want a 7th rounder for him
    5) If nothing else, we're prepared to trade one of these QBs behind our franchise guy

So they jumped on it. To me, this is just an overall sensible move. There is no downside.

18. Mr Electric

Mr Electric Banned

Yes, they do have value...but Kevin O'Connell is better value than a 7th rounder.

19. Mr Electric

Mr Electric Banned

Great post.

20. WhiteShoeWillis

As I've repeated, if the move was for something other than information I have no problem with it.