Jets 2021 Roster

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by MaximusD163, Mar 24, 2020.

1. MaximusD163

MaximusD163 Well-Known Member

Pretty sure Darnold will be slightly younger in 2040 than Brady is now... is that wild to think about it what?

Lon Chaney and twown like this.
  2. MaximusD163

Updated for trades, cuts and numbers.

3. MaximusD163

Fully Updated including UFA/RFA/ERFA for current Roster Moves.

4. MaximusD163

Bump for updates

NCJetsfan and KurtTheJetsFan like this.
  5. MaximusD163

6. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Following are the Jets top 12 players capwise under contract for 2021. Interesting. Even if we get Lawrence, the cap hit will be so big for trading Darnold, I'm not sure it would happen unless another team could pay that cap charge. To add additional cap space, the following players could be gone: Henry Anderson, George Fant, Greg Van Roten, Nathan Shepherd, Alex Lewis, Ryan Griffin, and even Jamison Crowder, but I would be shocked if Fant or Crowder went anywhere.

7. MaximusD163

I don’t think the cap hit really precludes anything, or changes anything really. Darnold has value on a roster whether it be the Jets or another team, so it doesn’t make sense to move him unless they get something in return.

Also, the cap calculator is not always correct. In this case, as long as he was traded in time the guaranteed roster bonus due on August 1st would actually be the responsibility of the new team, meaning Darnold’s cap hit for the Jets would drop to $5,019,581, and the Jets would save around $4.75 million.

Noam and NCJetsfan like this.
  8. Jets79

Jets79 Well-Known Member

Well I think Anderson would be gone...he has not lived up to his contract at all...not even close. I’d hate to lose Crowder when we are so short on weapons, so I’d keep him. But there are several players on that list that will likely be gone

NCJetsfan likes this.
  9. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

Josh Adams looks like he deserves a roster spot. So does Pay Elflein. He and Becton are dominating the LOS right now even if this is a bad defense.

I wonder what the offense may have looked like all year without Frank the 2 yard Tank and washed up Bell running the ball all year.

10. JackBower

JackBower Well-Known Member

Im not buying Ashtyn Davis.

I remember when he was drafted I wasnt very excited, thought he was too small... he's getting dominated in coverage and is too small to take on TE/RB consistently.

11. NCJetsfan

As of today, following would be my edits for the roster just prior to FA. I think Conor McDermott may have already been extended. I think I read that a week or two ago, but it may have been someone in the media just talking about it, saying the Jets should. Perriman has been very good for us. Add one of Robinson, Godwin, Golladay, Smith-Schuster or a few others, and the Jets suddenly have a very good WR corps. Both Smiths and Doctson should have TC invites. Josh Adams looked really good today and imo he should join Johnson and Perine.

I know that Elflein didn't play very well in Minnesota, but he looked pretty good today. If nothing else, he could be a decent backup or camp competition.

joelip likes this.
  12. WoodyHarrelson

WoodyHarrelson Well-Known Member

Agreed make him a CB

matt robinson 17 likes this.
  13. NCJetsfan

14. Jonathan_Vilma

Yes. He's a really good player. Don't break the bank, but get a four year deal with a relative out after year two or three. Something tells me he's going to choose to leave after the mess of a franchise he's played for in his career. However, money talks.

Also - I don't ever buy into these rankings at all.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  15. Jonathan_Vilma

It's tough to really understand what some of these players are in the defensive backfield because of the impossible situations the offense has put the defense in and the extremely limited natural pass rush outside of Q. Williams and blitzing.

But I will say - these boys compete and tackle. Maulet & Austin (last year as well), Guidry, Hall, etc. And yes - even Lamar Jackson despite the last play.

We need to look to add a corner still but it's encouraging seeing these dudes fly around.

16. MaximusD163

Ok this has been updated for a few roster moves from 2020 as well as all 2021 Reserve Future contracts.

17. Johnnypump

Johnnypump Member

There are always some very interesting reads on this sight. Everyone, including myself, love Jets football. For years we as fans have been struggling in mediocrity. This has been quite frustrating. However, I never understood as fans why we worry so much about contracts or the cap. Talent costs money. You will not see teams with low cap numbers competing for the playoffs and championships. Make no mistake, I am not saying throw money around indiscriminately but we must spend money to be compatible. We must keep our talent. In this case, Marcus Maye should be resigned without a doubt. He played well and should be rewarded. We must have good drafts and draft well. We must build from the trenches out, dominate the LOS, and we should have a measured level of success. Happy New Year to all.

Savatage likes this.
  18. NOVAJET

NOVAJET "2020 TGG Fantasy Football Champ"

He looks like a good prospect but not sure he earns the baby Gronk moniker. Gronk was as successful as he was because he would fight through 2 and 3 tacklers to get extra yards. This guy looks like he goes down at a breeze and even fell over several times untouched. I could be wrong but he just looks a little clumsy and awkward from that vid.

Jonathan_Vilma likes this.
  19. Jonathan_Vilma

Not a big fan at all of Freiermuth. He looks very robotic and doesn't use his body well enough to shield defenders through contested catches.

20. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

re-sign the man. he deserves it for playing hard no matter the record or the score