Jets 2020 Roster

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by MaximusD163, Mar 20, 2020.

1. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

By your definition... this is just like, your opinion man.

Imagesrdecieving likes this.
  2. MaximusD163

MaximusD163 Well-Known Member

I don’t know if you’ve noticed, but I’ve never used PFF as an argument supporter. That’s how much stock I put in their evaluations. I’m not a professional, but I do in fact watch all 22 game film. I have no trash to talk about Williamson. He’s just overpaid, which is in no small part due to the fact that Mosley is overpaid. If we had a guy like Mosley on a rookie deal, I’m happy to carry Williamson’s contract. Between Hewitt, Cashman, and Burgess, someone is going to be able to contribute enough that we don’t need to shell out $6 million to Williamson.

All Gas No Shake likes this.
  3. J-Raw24

J-Raw24 Well-Known Member

My bad. Still 3 sacks is a huge upgrade over last year. Not sure how he cannot see that.

4. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I agree. I don't see how they can keep 5 ILBs on the roster, even with an expanded roster. That's even more true with only Cashman being pretty good at covering receivers.

5. NCJetsfan

IMO Douglas wouldn't have re-signed both Hewitt and Burgess if he didn't plan keeping them on the roster. Mosley's not going anywhere, and with the promise Cashman showed last year, and with his being the best at covering receivers out of that group, he's not going anywhere either. I don't think they'll keep 5 ILBs on the roster, even with an expanded roster. I think they're gonna either trade Williamson now, or perhaps use him during the draft if they want to move up a little.

I don't recall. Have there been any status reports on how Williamson is recuperating from the ACL surgery? That may be a concern.

6. NCJetsfan

This is a good point. Still, do you think the Jets will keep 5 ILBs on the roster?

7. BroadwayAaron

Although I'm extremely against it because Mosley/Williamson is an elite LB duo... I'd have an easier time accepting it if we trade him but if we flat out cut him? Idiotic. I don't think Douglas is that dumb to cut a massive asset and get nothing in return.

SOJAZ, ColoradoContrails and K'OB like this.
  8. BroadwayAaron

It just doesn't make any sense whatsoever to cut a high level player for an inferior replacement all to save $4 mil ($6 mil dead money, you're paying Hewitt $2 mil). I haven't seen anything that says Hewitt is a competent replacement for a perennial 100+ tackle guy and an efficient tackler at that. You can SAY it all you want but that's not proof. There's a reason Hewitt signed for $2 mil and was picked up off waivers I believe last year. He's a backup. The numbers support that too.

SOJAZ likes this.
  9. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

do you understand what it means to “give up” a sack and how that is something that is not easy to identify, especially by outsiders?

do you understand that the arbitrary “sacks allowed” figure does not even begin to tell how good someone is at pass protection?

have you ever been involved in the game of football in any capacity? Have you ever seen Van Roten play?

10. BroadwayAaron

This is actually a way worse explanation than I thought you were gonna give. Yikes...

So explain this to me... the literal recorded statistics show that he's a good pass protector, evaluators say he took a leap in 2019 to become a very good pass protector... what exactly do you bring to the table that makes anyone take your opinion seriously?

11. BrowningNagle

fuck no, you didn’t answer any of my questions why would I answer yours? I’m not here to tell about you about the game

12. NCJetsfan

I think the Jets who will be named top of the depth chart and won't have to compete for their starting jobs are: Darnold, Adams, Bell, McGovern, Mosley, Williamson (if he's here), Maye, Crowder, Q. Williams, Poole (when a slot CB is utilized), H. Anderson, Jenkins, and maybe Desir and R. Anderson if he returns. Other than C, I think for all 4 OL spots there will be an open competition. I think there will be competition for the outside WR spots. Herndon may have to earn his starting TE spot back. At CB there will definitely be competition for the pecking order, and even Desir may have to compete for the #1 job. There will probably be competition for the K job and possibly for the P job as well. There will probably be a competition for the starting DT/NT spots also.

13. BroadwayAaron

Your questions are painfully stupid and you topped it off with the classic "do you even football bro?!"

Seriously, you're pretending that stats are opinions. That would completely upend literally every NFL record because they are based on statistics. Let's pretend your awful point has some credence... Let's say maybe someone's opinion is that he gave up 3 MORE sacks... thats 6. That's still pretty god damn good. I mean how is anyone supposed to respond to this kind of garbage?

Does this mean ANY offensive lineman statistic is completely based in opinion?

14. MaximusD163

I posted a few mock off seasons, and while there was some differentiation between them, there were a few consistent moves I included in each.

-Re-Sign Hewitt for $1.5 million. (He was signed for $2 million)

-Re-Sign Brian Poole for $5.5 million. (He was signed for $5 million)

-Re-Sign Jordan Jenkins for $6 million. (He was signed for $5 million)

-Tender James Burgess’ RFA tender. (Burgess was not tendered but was re-signed to what will likely be a little below the tender value)

-Tender Arthur Maulet’s RFA tender. (Maulet was not tendered but was re-signed to what will likely be a little below the tender value)

-Re-Sign Alex Lewis for $2.5 million. (Lewis was re-signed for a hair under $6 million.

-Cut Trumaine Johnson. (Johnson was cut)

-Cut Darryl Roberts. (Roberts was cut)

I can be wrong plenty, but considering how many of these have been accurate, and even within $1 million in contract value, isn’t there some evidence that I have an understanding of the value of the players I watch every week? I’m not saying people should believe everything I say, but that’s got to give me some amount of credibility.

15. BroadwayAaron

I commend you for nailing the value on most of these guys but my point still remains... why do you think the value on Hewitt was so low? It's because he's a backup. He performed average at best as a starter whereas Williamson is a top notch starter.

SOJAZ likes this.
  16. MaximusD163

Wait wait, that is not how dead money works. At all. The $6.5 million Williamson is due would still be the Jets’ to use. Whether it be spent on FA, rollover, or extensions for Adams etc.

Also, the phrase “dead money” is not really used well. It’s pro-rated, which means it’s been spent. Williamson already earned it. He’s already been paid it. The Jets chose to apply it to the 2020 cap, but it’s been in Williamson’s bank account for years at this point. When deciding whether a player should be cut or not, all you look at is what he will earn vs can be saved this year.

17. BrowningNagle

Idk look it up on Twitter, maybe someone can help you

18. BroadwayAaron

I feel like you're saying what I said. I know it would be the Jets to use, but I'm saying if you're replacing him with Hewitt then really you're only saving $4 mil to downgrade the position greatly IMO. I know the Jets can still use it.

19. BroadwayAaron

You're already in the "oh fuck I need to bail myself out" mode. I get it. But it doesn't make what you said any less insanely idiotic. I mean really. This site has been home to some interesting things. "Sacks allowed is not a stat it's an opinion" is one of, if not THE most interesting thing I've ever heard.

20. NCJetsfan

I think that Van Roten is a clear upgrade over Winters. Winters can only dream about having only given up 3 sacks and 0 penalties called on him over the last two years. I believe that Van Roten's pass blocking grade is also a good bit higher than Winters'.

SOJAZ likes this.