Jets 2020 Roster

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by MaximusD163, Mar 20, 2020.

1. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

No one is giving you a 4th round pick for a 28 year old non pass rushing linebacker coming off an ACL tear. You'd be lucky to get a conditional 7th.

If you cut him, Hewitt becomes the starter and we have to add another player. We are spending more money on another depth player and reducing a strength. We lose Mosely and Williamson for the year last year. I think we learned a lot about the importance of depth.

FJF likes this.
  2. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

One of the things to keep in mind with the vets on the Jets is that very few of them were Joe Douglas acquisitions. Generally there is a turnover on the roster when a new GM/HC tandem arrives that happens over the first two seasons. Douglas did not get a chance to start this last year because Macc stuck around until after free agency and the draft.

I very much doubt that most of the Macc acquisitions that are making more than they look like they are worth at first blush will still be around by the time the 2021 season kicks off. That's two years of Douglas and Gase figuring out how to make the problem contracts go away. People like LeVeon Bell and Avery Williamson are very much on the bubble, with Bell not movable/cuttable this year but Williamson is likely to be a goner as soon as the Jets figure out how to do it.

C.J. Mosely was not a Douglas acquisition either and I doubt the Jets will have issues with moving on from him at the numbers he is signed at if they can figure out how to do it. That would be a 2021 move because he's locked in on the 2020 cap to the tune of $30M in dead money if the Jets try to move on.

The point to all of this is that a lot of fans see the Jets moves this year as filling holes in an existing plan. It's just as easy to assume that the plan is not in place in front of us yet and what Douglas is doing is trying to keep Darnold alive next year while he puts his team together. It's pretty clear at this point for example that if somebody put together a big package they could have Jamal Adams. That would help Douglas put together his team, a team unlike anything that Macc had in mind, assuming Macc actually had a coherent plan, which is doubtful.

3. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Aren't you one of those posters who thinks players can play well into their 30s? If so, then 28 isn't that old. He's a great run stopper. Not every team has a great run defense. Think GB might have an interest after what happened in the playoffs, and particularly after losing LB Blake Martinez in FA? They signed Kirksey, but he can't stay healthy and on the field. Williamson would make that D a lot better. You might be right about the level of return the Jets could get, but I don't think so. If he's so good that he's worth keeping, then some other team or teams will covet his services and the Jets will be able to get at least a 5th round pick for him, maybe a conditional 4th as long as he can demonstrate that he's healthy. If he's not healthy or will be limited by the ACL injury, there's even less reason for the Jets to keep him and use up that cap space on a player that won't be able to contribute that much. If they can't find a trade partner, they can always cut him.

If the Jets had to trade/cut him in order to be able to fit Ngakoue under the cap, would you do it?

4. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

I believe some positions can play well into their thirties. Linebacker is one of them. I don't believe that helps their trade value. And if I believe that wouldn't I want to keep Williamson as long as possible if I believe he's still effective.

Obviously I'd cut or trade players to make space for more effective players. But there's no reason to do so. We have plenty of cap space right now. Keep the good players. This roster lacks depth. We're not slashing players left and right because we need as many good players as possible.

If you cut Williamson and Winters you just have to replace them.

FJF likes this.
  5. Jake

Jake Well-Known Member

If we have 4 rookies as starters were going 4-12 next year for sure.

Need to resign Beachum and draft an OT, let them compete for the tackle spots. Also resigning Robby is a no brainier now with his price dropping.

The Dark Knight likes this.
  6. James Hasty

James Hasty Well-Known Member

The more that other teams sign top free agents, the less sense cutting Williamson Makes.

It is much easier to rationalize the sacrifice to get a guy like Conklin than to use the savings for whatever scraps are left now.

FJF likes this.
  7. J-Raw24

J-Raw24 Well-Known Member

I still think it depends on the coaching staff and situation. If Williams think he can get as much out of Hewitt, Cashman, or Burgess on the field AND want to use the money to sweeten the deal on an olb, cb, ok, we etc. Then I think it's a good move. Same with Winters. He's not a good guard, he's decent but not good. If we get an OL upgrade and he can be cut for more space you do it. But only if there is an upgrade. I don't think either moves are made just by themselves. There will have to be subsequent moves that improve the team.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  8. J-Raw24

4 rookie starters just means we drafted well. It doesn't mean we lose at all. Douglas may surprise us. I don't think we resign beachum unless it's a very team friendly contract.

9. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

I was thinking an Offensive Lineman/WR in Rounds 1 and 2, both will start. Then hopefully 2 of the next 5 picks could potentially start like a CB, WR, OL, or OLB. The roster could use a youth/speed infusion. It's a positive thing, not negative.

J-Raw24 likes this.
  10. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

You aren't getting 2 first round picks for Adams. Or a first and 2 2nds. Sign him to the extension and keep your all pro players on the roster.

How about we start hitting picks in the middle round first before trying to trade everyone?

FJF likes this.
  11. J-Raw24

I agree. I doubt anyone offers enough to get Adams. I prefer we just give him a good deal this year before prices go up next year and keep our most talented defender.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  12. Jake

Jake Well-Known Member

Banking on landing starters in rounds 3-5 is wishful thinking. Our 3rd round pick from last year is out of football.

Need to resign Beachum and Robby, it's imperative at this point.

The Dark Knight likes this.
  13. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I'm not advocating slashing players left and right. We've already agreed that cutting Bellamy and Roberts is addition by subtraction. Cut those two and sign Logan Ryan and that eliminates some need or a hole at CB. Sign Van Roten and Person or Kline and cut Winters. The deal with Winters too, is that it's been reported that the Jets have said if he is to stay, he must take a salary cut. Do you really think that is likely? Now that may just be the sportswriters guessing and there may be no credible source from the Jets that has said that, but if it's true, then it seems Winters has one foot out the door anyway. I think there are some good OGs in the draft who should be available in the 3rd/4th round area, maybe the 5th. I think it likely the Jets will take one of them.

I like Williamson, and I think the D would be better this season with him, but I don't see the Jets keeping Williamson after this season. They need an ILB who is at least good in coverage, and preferably one who excels in coverage. That is neither Williamson nor Mosley. One of them will have to go, and it won't be Mosley probably at least until 2022 due to the cap charge they'd incur.

We probably will never totally agree, and that's ok. I'm enjoying the discussion and hope that you are.

14. MaximusD163

MaximusD163 Well-Known Member

I disagree. You will never have Mosley, Williamson and Hewitt out at the same time, because it gives you zero advantage in any situation I can think of. Jamal can do everything and better that Williamson and Hewitt can do so it really makes no sense to add a slower/worse player out there. If you can give me an example of how that would work I’m fine with being wrong but I can’t think of one. Passing downs, you run nickel, early downs, you run 3-4 and neither Hewitt nor Williamson is someone you’d put at 3-4 OLB.

15. egelband

egelband Well-Known Member

They got rid of the Aussie punter? In thought he was good. No?

16. Br4d

Giving a star SS a huge extension after year 3 is as likely to blow up on you as an unforced error as giving a star RB a huge extension was for the Rams 2 years ago.

Jamal Adams is a great player but the Jets do not have to pay him for 2 more years. A lot can happen in 2 years. If he'll take a reasonable superstar deal maybe you make it but if he is looking to break the bank you wait.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  17. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

I agree.
    Last year we were weak at ILB and OL, with injuries playing a part in that.

Why would we cut Winters and Williamson with cap not being an issue? Makes no sense.

18. Br4d

Because both were hurt last year and have big cap numbers for their contributions this year and this is the NFL.

That's just how things work in the jungle of the NFL. In recent years the Jets have run a petting zoo by comparison and that's one of many reasons they are a bottom-dweller.

19. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

I believe he is a FA now.
    I’d be interested in bringing him back.

egelband likes this.
  20. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

Keep him unless a team gives an offer that's too good to turn down(two 1's, a 1 and two 2's, etc....).

Imagesrdecieving likes this.