Jets 2020 Roster

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by MaximusD163, Mar 20, 2020.

1. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

I didn't know mims b4 we drafted him. What i watched seems legit. but he did have a lot of drops, which is worrying. i think the words were "catches the impossible balls, drops the easy ones". kinda like the rub on brandon marshall when he came here. drops the easy ones. then, somehow, he started catching everything. hopefully mims does the same

2. nevbeats319

nevbeats319 Well-Known Member

I pray it works out - but the I just think if they really liked him they would have took him early when they had the chance. I think they took him when they realized the guy the wanted (probably Van Jefferson) was taking and was forced to take him.

BacktoQueens and Footballgod214 like this.
  3. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

I think ur right. Rather than having a single player to fixate on, JD has a list of similar players that all would be OK with the pick. If he still has 4 or 5 players on his short list, he's willing to trade down a bit betting that at least one of them will still be available. This time that player was probably Mims.

4. MaximusD163

MaximusD163 Well-Known Member

If that’s your thought process then they should have taken Van Jefferson at 48. Trading down indicates they had a number of players they really liked.

5. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Becton is the player's name, not Benton. (Someone else called him Bector.) If we're going to have an intelligent discussion about players, the least we can do is get their names right.

The rating of the top 4 OTs varied widely from team to team, scout to scout, analyst to analyst, and fan to fan, so you cannot throw out a statement like Becton was the 3rd player at his position. That's nonsense. In terms of talent, potential, ceiling/upside, Becton was the #1 OT in this class. What brought him down in the minds of some was his size/weight, worrying that it might cause knee or back problems and injury problems, and his rawness in terms of technique in pass protection. They all have their flaws weaknesses. Wills has never played LT, and he's not as athletic as Becton. Wirfs has only played a little at LT, and while he is athletic and has good movement skills, he is a little stiff and has his technique flaws as well. Thomas had the most experience at LT and against SEC competition, but he is the least athletic of the 4, and even he has technique issues that he needs to fix.

It's not concerning to me. Every year players get passed on by teams in the draft, sometimes by every team for a number of rounds, and they turn out to be great players in the NFL. Not every team needed a WR this year, and every team has different systems, different needs (X, Y or Z), and different traits/characteristics they look for in their WRs. A lot of teams also needed help at CB and on the OL, or at RB, or on the DL or at LB.

6. nevbeats319

I know but - I think most people thought he was a 3rd pick and would for sure be there at the back end of the 2nd round for sure. It’s just my thought. Mims was not the first choice and clearly not most of the teams that needed a WR (half the nfl)

For a team that can’t develop any prospects. I would have preferred safe picks that can come in a play. His scouting report looks almost identical to someone else they drafted in the 2nd round and I don’t even want to say his name.

- Raw
    - struggles with focus drops
    - needs to develop routine running

Because they have zero WRs - he needs to be WR1 from day 1. (Please do not Perriman and crowder are) . So yea - I’m concerned

7. nevbeats319

Relax - obviously my iPhone doesn’t know how to auto correct a football player name.

My point to that poster was there is a big difference of taking a 3rd prospect and the 15th!

and again clearly you are jets homer and everything is great.
    Its not concerning to you? How long have you been following the jets draft lol

8. NCJetsfan

When teams don't have so many needs, I think you're right. When they really like a player, they take him, they don't trade down and hope he's there at a lower pick. The thing is as we all know, the Jets had little depth and a ton of holes. Perhaps Douglas thought he didn't have the luxury of staying put and taking Mims. He knew he needed to add picks to try to fill more holes. He very well may have liked Mims, but also liked several of the other WRs and had them ranked pretty evenly. He may have looked at the teams picking between the two spots and thought that he was guaranteed to get one of the WRs he liked or he may have had a strong belief that Mims wouldn't be taken by any of those teams due to their other needs, systems, traits they look for, etc. In a situation like that, why wouldn't he trade down, add some extra picks and still get a WR he liked? Perhaps he rolled the dice a little trying to get more out of this draft. If so, it worked. In the end, it matters less what Douglas and the scouts thought of him before, and only really matters what happens with him now that he is a Jet. The same goes for Becton. Even if Douglas had him rated as the #4 OT (he didn't), Becton is a Jet now, and it's only important how he develops and plays.

9. NCJetsfan

I don't need to relax. I'm not upset. I was just pointing out the player's correct name. I have no idea who is posting on a phone, tablet, desktop, laptop or whatever.

I understand what your point was, and it's valid to a degree, but as I pointed out, it may have had less or even nothing to do with how Douglas viewed Mims, and more to do with the all the needs the Jets had.

10. MaximusD163

If used right he could have impact similar to DK Metcalf

11. NCJetsfan

Mims wasn't their first choice. It may have been someone else that said it other than Douglas, but I think I remember seeing someone post right before the 2nd round that Douglas really liked Pittman and Higgins, and that one of those two would be the pick. I believe that was the case, as both were better prospects than Mims. Pittman was more developed and played with Sam at USC for 2 years, so they already had chemistry. Higgins is more developed and produced at a higher level than Mims as well. I think that if either had falled to #48, that Douglas would have stayed put and taken him.

I wish posters would stop equivocating the current Jets teams with what has happened in the past. It's irrational. What previous GMs did has no bearing whatsoever on what Douglas will do. What previous CSs did or didn't do, has no bearing on what our present CS does or doesn't do, so it's ridiculous to make a statement like "For a team that can't develop any prospects." That's not true. Anderson developed and improved. A number of our young defensive players have developed and are developing. So it's not only irrational, but untrue.

"Safe" picks that can come in and play immediately often are less talented than those that need to develop. It just means that they've already reached their ceiling. They certainly can help, but the draft isn't about players' rookie seasons. It's about their whole careers. I'd much rather have a player that needs to sit for a part of or even all of his rookie season, but then comes in and plays at a very high level over one who can contribute immediately and is "safe" but is never anything but average or solid. Great teams aren't built with "safe" picks. One has to take risks to achieve greatness.

Yes, there is reason to be concerned, especially since Douglas only took one WR in the draft. If it proves to be a mistake, I believe that he will learn from it and change in the future. Even if it is a mistake, the team overall could be better, even if the WR position isn't optimal. That's not desirable, because the top priority was supposed to be in protecting and developing Sam. Hopefully, it won't hurt Sam much, if any. If it does, then it's a much more serious mistake on Douglas' part, and I'll join you in criticizing Douglas for that. Between Crowder, Herndon, Bell, Griffin, Mims, Perriman and whomever else, I'm sure that Sam will find targets. In KC Kelce and Hill are the primary targets with some thrown to Watkins. Maybe here, the primary receivers this season are Crowder, Herndon and Bell, then next season Mims steps up. Focus drops can be fixed. Stone hands cannot. If you're trying to compare Mims to Stephen Hill that's a ridiculous, not even remotely close comparison.

#291 NCJetsfan, Apr 27, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 29, 2020
    Pepsiguy5 likes this.
  12. nevbeats319

Valid point

13. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

NC
    The bold is spot on IMO and something I wanted to point out but I quite frankly decided against it and just ignore this whole doom and gloom BS based on past drafts. Always comparing the past is a waste of time, as it was driven by incompetent GM most always. This to me was a great draft, strategic as hell, the best in the last 15 years. We fortified our most critical position, the one that will make the whole offense better, be it the passing game, the running game, and above all the QB ability to open up the playbook with extra time. so how about we give it a chance. We knew going in that we where not going to fill all our needs. The two or three top receivers went very early in the second round. After that a few were bunched together performance wise including Mims so JD took a calculated risk by trading down and struck gold with it. All of the sudden the same receiver many here wanted with the early second is now being labeled a red flag, mostly because it was there for us, and highlighting some shortcoming as if he can not develop into a stud. Could we have used one more WR with a third, most probably, but lets not kid ourselves that the pick was going to give us nothing more but a little extra insurance at that point. JD and rightfully so went for the higher upside needs for the long term with the third and 4th round picks. Many disagree. But I trust his assessment. You don't just draft for the now, knowing that we will have many issues after this year. That is not what a good GM does. That we should learn from our own past experience.
    WR is still a concern at this point, granted, and I'm sure he knows that, training camp will tell us more, and may be an added vet position will be needed. But this is a quantum leap of new contributors in areas of need across the board. dwelling in the past does nothing for me.

14. joelip

joelip Well-Known Member

Regarding the repeatedly listed concern about Becton's weight: Seeing how proportional (not fat) he looked on draft night only confirmed for me the report I heard on tv (in the days prior to the draft) that Becton has been working out like a demon and is down at least to 353. We may be worrying about him being too skinny in a few weeks!

Imagesrdecieving and NCJetsfan like this.
  15. Pepsiguy5

Pepsiguy5 Well-Known Member

With the disclaimer that I've never played football, and am not a football guy, just a fan....

My opinion on Becton is that he should play LT exclusively and immediately. If I'm the Jets I've invested a lot into this young man to anchor that position for years to come and I don't want him even thinking about anything but that position. I'd even go so far as to say I'd be completely OK with (and in fact expect) some screw ups, misfires, and growing pains over the preseason and first half dozen games or so of the regular season. Just absorb it and take it as learning experience. This guy is a special talent, and experience is the best way to temper that into hardened steel efficiency.

This line is going to be way better than the joke Darnold operated behind last season. And that was the thing this team needed most urgently imho. I'm pretty excited to watch this unit mesh together, like last seasons unit totally didn't. I also want them playing together in the preseason. The way last seasons unit didn't.

16. BudJet

BudJet Well-Known Member

Hill was a body catcher, Mims is definitely not. He had the most contested catches in college football last year. He goes up and gets the ball. He definitely has Robby beat in the physical part after his game. Robby has great hands but not a physical receiver.

ColoradoContrails and NCJetsfan like this.
  17. MaximusD163

Teams are only allowed 90 players going into training camp, so I wonder which 5 lose the chance to compete.

18. themorey

themorey Well-Known Member

I'm a complete 180 on that. As important as Becton is to the Jets future he still trails Darnold. You don't want a rookie at the blind spot learning on the job while hoping he doesn't get your most important player killed. The scouting report on Becton reads that his run blocking is elite and his pass blocking is a work in progress. With a reduced or eliminated offseason he won't have as much time to show progress. At RT he will be able to demonstrate his run blocking while getting used to the speed of NFL pass rushers.

And its not like its Becton or bust at LT this season. A lot of people question the Fant signing but I think he is underestimated because he wasn't a household name. He started 24 games for the Seahawks including 7 at LT last year, and JD paid him $10M this season. I think the Jets really like him and could easily see him as the LT this year and let him walk next year in favor of Becton.

MoWilkBeast likes this.
  19. MaximusD163

My 55 man roster projection.

QB
    -Darnold
    -Fales
    -Morgan

RB
    -Bell
    -Cannon
    -Perine