Jets 2020 Roster

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by MaximusD163, Mar 20, 2020.

1. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

The question with Winters is health. Can he be counted on? Douglas may want to save money and move on.

The Dark Knight likes this.
  2. nevbeats319

nevbeats319 Well-Known Member

Obviously that was a typo error..
    Are you really going to name the Denver Broncos skill players when Peyton Manning was the QB?

jay ajahi had one good year with him - ok, then he shipped him out.

jamison crowder got the same production this year as he always had with Washington

and please stop- you all need to stop with Ryan griffen. Dude is a not even in the top 25 in the league. He’s been in the league for 7 years.

3. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

I was assuming Clark converting to G, but it would be great if he can play both RT and RG, kind of like Qvale did.
    Still not comfortable with our T depth.

4. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

I like ur summary.

With the shortened TC this year, Gase may very well go with Fant at LT since he has at least 'some' in game experience.

HOWEVER, Becton could knock their socks off with obvious domination on the left side. I expect he will, making it an easy decision to put Fant on the right. At least that's what I'm hoping for. I want Becton to be head and shoulder (haha) above any other choice.

BacktoQueens likes this.
  5. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

Yep. I would move on from Winters and Enunwa just for that fact. Can't count on them anymore. Williamson too, coming off of a torn ACL, but I am more willing to give him a chance because I would like to see him play with Mosley.

6. Footballgod214

Thanks for posting this! I love the in depth overview he gave all the top players.

I also like how he agreed with me that Cleveland (10) would take Becton and the Jets would trade up ahead of Cleveland to get him. If Wills was taken by the Giants at 4, that's exactly what would have happened. But with the Giants taking Thomas instead, that left Wills for the Browns, and left Becton for us w/o trading up.

The Giants saved us again! Thanks to their inept drafting, we got Sam Darnold and Becton, the 2 most important positions in all of football!

7. BacktoQueens

I wouldn't move on from any of the 3, unless health shows its a problem in camp.
    This roster is still at bottom of league, and we are not cash strapped.
    It just doesn't make sense to get rid of good players imo.

nyjcanada likes this.
  8. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

If he hasn't been cut yet, then I don't think money will be a factor in him being cut since free agency is basically over. I believe players could be designated as a June 1st cut in the new CBA already.

If he gets cut I'd imagine it's because he's simply been beaten out for a spot. It's going to be real competitive to be one of the top 9 on the roster. Considering most are guaranteed a spot already.

9. BacktoQueens

lol, haha yep the Giants questionable drafting has really helped our cause lately.
    I hope Gettleman stays!

Footballgod214 likes this.
  10. Cromartie's_kid

Cromartie's_kid Well-Known Member

Denver is really hard to evaluate as they were playing with manning who was a de facto offensive coordinator.

nevbeats319 likes this.
  11. Footballgod214

Fast forward to 1:09:00 to see his summary of Ashtyn Davis, our new FS. He LOVES LOVES LOVES the guy and had him going 18th overall to Miami. If Miami goes a diff direction, Ashtyn will NEVER get by Miami's 3rd first round pick. He says Ashtyn is the best FS in the draft, and the best he's seen it a while.
    Mims 1:24:00 going <iframe width="500" height="300" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/XBQawLGh8Us" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Mims at 1:24:00 going to Vikings at 22 overall.

That's 3 first round picks (Becton, Davis, Mims) JD got us. I bet JD's rep amongst other GMs went up a lot with this draft. Especially the way he hosed NE!

twown likes this.
  12. Footballgod214

I love the way he went on and on about Davis FS. Had him going in the middle of the 1st round. Super fast and tenacious. It'll be fun to see how GW uses him with Adams and Maye. I could see GW exploit his speed to shadow a QB like Lamar Jackson or provide hi coverage on speedy WRs like Tyreek Hill or OBJ. Either way I think our team got better.

13. nevbeats319

Relax - Mims was passed over by almost ever good organization with a WR need and that is a flag.

14. Northlaker620

Northlaker620 New Member

Relax - Mims was passed over by almost ever good organization with a WR need and that is a flag.

As I understand - pro scouts were not impressed with Baylor's passing offense, Mims route tree was rudimentary, and he had a bit of the dropsies(attributed to a possible hand injury)

BacktoQueens said:
    Winters imo is the most physical run blocking Guard on the roster.
    I think he wins the RG spot again, with Van Roten winning the LG.
    Alex Lewis provides quality depth.
    Along with McGovern that’s a good interior group.

I agree with the Van Roten and Winters being the guards -- with Lewis being solid depth because he can play either side. Btw, Gase mentioned last summer how much he liked the toughness of Winters

15. joelip

joelip Well-Known Member

Just thought I'd throw something in as a self-admitted Jets homer/eternal optimist. Let's compare our roster with the current Patriots roster:

QB Stidham vs.
    Darnold--Big edge to Darnold in terms of talent and experience

RB Michel, White, Harris vs.
    Bell, Perine, Dixon--Definite edge to Pats regarding depth/ Bell bouncing back in a big way could give the Jets a slight edge even overall

WR Edelman, Harry, Sanu vs.
    Crowder, Mims, Perriman--Even, considering that Edelman is declining and that Harry has been a bust so far

TE LaCosse, Asiasi, Keene vs.
    Herndon, Griffin, Wesco--definite edge to Jets if Herndon is healthy; this is partly based on the experience factor

T Cannon, Wynn, Cajuste vs.
    Becton, Fant, Edoga--Edge to Pats if everybody's healthy

G Thuney, Mason,Eluemonor vs,
    Van Roten, Lewis, Winters--Big edge to the Pats starters

C Andrews vs,
    McGovern--Andrews is coming off injury and McGovern is coming into his own, I'll call it slight edge to Pats or even if Andrews is a little rusty.

NOTE: These OL ratings may be inadequately taking into account the effects of the loss of Scarneccia!

DE Guy, Winovich, Wise vs.
    Q. Williams, Anderson, Phillips--Edge to Jets if Williams just plays up to his talent and stays healthy

DT Butler, Allen vs.
    McClendon, Fatukasi--At least a slight edge to the Jets

OLB Uche, Copeland, Calhoun vs.
    Jenkins, Basham, Zuniga--Even, Possible slight edge to Jets

ILB Hightower, Bentley, Maluia vs.
    Mosley, Williamson, Onwuasor--presuming that Mosley and Williamson are healthy, slight edge to Jets due to depth issues

CB Gilmore, D. McCourty, Jones vs.
    Desir, Austin, Poole--Big edge to Pats

S Chung, J. McCourty, Dugger vs.
    Adams, Maye, Davis--Even??

Well, there it is. Maybe my ratings are with green-tinted glasses, but it seems to me that we can compete with the Pats, particularly since our quarterback (if he stays healthy regarding kissing) is superior.

16. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

There's no doubt that we're closer to them talent-wise. The most important difference to me however, is in the HC and CS. I think this season will show us how good or bad Gase and the Jets' CS is. For certain we know that Dowell Loggains is a wasted spot on the CS. I doubt that Pats have any of those. We also know that BB is a great HC. For me, that is the difference.

I also disagree with you on some of your rankings/comparisons, but am not going to quibble over those.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  17. joelip

joelip Well-Known Member

Can't really argue with you about the coaches. I just hope that the loss of Scarneccia has a major effect on the offensive line and that this in turn amplifies the inexperience issues of Stidham.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  18. Footballgod214

Becton was passed over by TEN teams! HUGE red flag.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  19. nevbeats319

Benton was the 3rd player at his position.

It’s just concerning that many teams that have success finding WRs passed on Mims,

20. MaximusD163

MaximusD163 Well-Known Member

Properly updated with positions for UDFA’s and transaction key.