Jets 2020 Roster

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by MaximusD163, Mar 20, 2020.

1. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

I have previously boycotted buying any sort of Jets memorabilia or apparel for the better half of the past decade. I haven't had a new Jets jersey since getting a Curtis Martin jersey in around 2005-2006.

I just bought a Sam Darnold jersey and a couple Jets hats. That's how well I think this draft really went. Let's hope it went as well as it felt it did.

2. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

Cager would be a nice find if he could stick. That’s a big boy. I’m kid of over Smith... other than his end around for a TD which was made possible by Bell, the two things that stick out to me are his stone hands on a perfectly placed ball that led to an INT and him giving up on his route on a perfectly thrown deep ball by Sam. Hopefully he doesn’t touch the field. He and Perriman are pretty redundant as it is.

I don’t want anyone to think I’m under the impression that Mims isn’t a physical receiver. He is. He’s got it all IMO. Like I said I’m talking more that “climb a ladder” type in the meantime that can go up and snatch one out of the air in a crowd.

SOJAZ, J-Raw24 and NCJetsfan like this.
  3. nevbeats319

nevbeats319 Well-Known Member

Ok - compared to other RBs in the NFL bell is a average RB right now. This isn’t the same Bell before his hold out. And you do not know what a 4th round rookie will be so please don’t hype up that.

Perriman is NOT a compete WR, I don’t know where your getting this from and is on his 4th team in 4 years, enough said . You can’t count on Doctson to finally be a player 3rd team in under a year.

the sample size of Herrdon and Griffen are very small and still very below average.

the colts have had CB struggles for years - so don’t know where your getting this form

ouside of the upgrade to the oline - I don’t agree with anything your saying. Your hyping up a lot of potential and unknowns. You can’t count on Egnunwa or late round rookies or old 1st round picks on there 4th team to be factors.

Also, you said you don’t pay attention to other teams - I can see why your so enamored with the jets great talent if your not comparing to other better teams. If you were to poll the depth chart right now with all fans and analysts, they would fall at the bottom 3 and that’s just facts

#243 nevbeats319, Apr 26, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 26, 2020
  4. teamgreen

teamgreen Well-Known Member

nevbeats captures my sentiments pretty well. I'm not trying to be a bummer or a downer but I'm having trouble seeing the skill position optimism. The one known we have is a quality, above-average slot receiver. After that, it is a lot of hope--either that Bell will bounce back or unknown quantities at RB pan out, or that WRs will have instant impacts (Mims) or emerge from relative disappointment to be productive #1s or #2s (Perriman/ Doctson), or that TEs with a sample size of a few games can be consistent and productive over a season. Q hasn't played a full season in 4 years and has 39 receptions in the last 3 seasons combined, and has more seasons ended on IR (3), than TDs in that time period (1). Any of those things CAN happen, sure... but most of those things are more likely to NOT happen unfortunately. I don't see the "we're improved" at the skill positions in the offseason the same way as many. First, it is at least questionable-- by no means anywhere close to certain--whether the Jets are actually better at the skill position than last year. Second, the degree to which the Jets invested in skill position improvement relative to other teams is how the offseason ought to be considered. In terms of either promise, or proven production, the current roster has got to be among the worst if not the worst in the league.

#244 teamgreen, Apr 26, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 26, 2020
    BacktoQueens likes this.
  5. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Everyone is entitled to his/her opinion/perspective. I don't see your or nevbeats opinions as being "downers" or "bummers." They are what they are. Obviously, both of you are more skeptical/cynical than me. I am an optimist by nature. I do think you're both wrong in some of your perspectives. For example, saying that the TEs have a small sample size. That's just not accurate. Ryan Griffin had good seasons with the Texans before he came to the Jets and he had a good season last year. Herndon had a very good rookie season with Darnold. Between being suspended and then getting injured, Sam being sick, and the terrible OL, he never had a chance last season. The injury wasn't something that should affect him this season, so there's no reason to think that he won't bounce back this season with both Sam and he healthy, and the OL markedly improved.

I understand the skepticism with Doctson. He's never done it anywhere else, but this may be his last chance in the NFL. Sometimes that or a change in scenery enables players to finally blossom. He may not, and may not make the team. Still, most projections by the "experts" and fans generally lean to the negative until a player proves he can play. Much of the time, if not most often, they are proven wrong, and players play at a higher level than projected.

I think that Bell struggled last year because not only was our OL awful, but he had a lot of rust from not playing in two years. This year, our OL should be markedly better, and I think that Bell will be better. Hopefully, Gase will be smarter in how he uses him. I think the Jets have some pretty good talent at RB. Josh Adams showed potential with the Eagles and Kenneth Dixon showed potential with the Ravens. Jalin Moore's rookie season was a wash, but he has a lot of talent. Now we have Perine who also has talent and is a good fit for our scheme. IMO, with a much better OL, there's no reason to think that our rushing attack won't be more effective or that they won't produce more as receivers.

Mogriffjr and twown like this.
  6. J-Raw24

J-Raw24 Well-Known Member

Check out the udfa we grabbed. He's that Burgess guy if he stay healthy. The guy is massive and will be a huge red zone threat. I hope he works out.

7. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

No one said that we had to agree. The fact that we can see things differently, share our opinions and respect each other is enough. IMO that's what makes a site like this interesting and fun. It would be boring if everyone saw everything the same.

Yes, Bell has aged and is not what he was, but I think a lot of his problems last season were due to the OL that was simply awful. The OL is going to be markedly better this season. Last year, Bell hadn't played in almost two years so there was a lot of rust. That should be gone now. The Jets have added Kenneth Dixon, who showed some promise with the Ravens and Perine. Jalin Moore never got a chance to show what he could do last season. Josh Adams showed some potential with the Eagles. I think the competition between those 4 in TC will sharpen them and make them better.

I'm not hyping anything. I'm just stating my opinion and how I view things. Every season, analysts, "the experts", and fans project negatively about players until they prove they can produce at a certain level. Every season, most of those players produce at higher levels, and the negative projections are proven to have been unnecessarily negative and false. I'm just choosing to be more positive or optimistic and believe that they can do well until proven wrong. It's my nature. As I said, I can certainly understand the more negative view of things because that's how the Jets have conditioned us to be. I can't blame anyone for that. I totally get it. Even if they are just more negative or cynical by nature, I get it. I don't fault you or anyone for that. It's who you are or how you were raised or the experiences that you've had in life. That's just now who I am. I am an optimist by nature and I think that things are going to change dramatically for the better because of Douglas. Gase may limit that, but even if so, I think the players will play well in spite of Gase because I have trust in Douglas' ability and knowledge. It's OK that we don't see things the same. That's what makes these sites interesting. If everyone saw everything the same way, it would be boring and there would be few posts.

All that said, imo you are wrong about a couple of things. The sample size of Griffin and Herndon is not small. Griffin had good seasons with the Texans before he came to the Jets, proved he could play, and he had a good season last year. Herndon had a very good rookie season with the Jets. Last year, between being suspended, getting injured, Sam being sick, and the OL being awful, Herndon never had a chance to get started. IMO there's no reason to think he won't return to form.

Also, you are wrong about the Colts CBs struggling for years. Both Desir and Quincy Wilson had high grades from PFF and played well before this past season.

I said, that Enunwa can't be counted on. I think he should retire, and is dumb if he tries to play this season. I think the Jets are trying to show him respect, but also trying to avoid the big cap hit if they cut him.

8. BonScott

BonScott Active Member

I've heard some ex players say this before, most recently Tiki

9. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

Undrafted WR George Campbell added.

10. Cromartie's_kid

Cromartie's_kid Well-Known Member

Brett kollmon is great - I hear him at times on the Harris football podcast. Check it out - becton at 37 min mark, Davis at 1 hour nine minute mark and mims 1 hour 24 min mark. I highly encourage all to watch.

Footballgod214 and BacktoQueens like this.
  11. joe

joe Well-Known Member

. .I agree.

12. joe

joe Well-Known Member

Yep. . It's not simply saying some generalized slop like "if Doctson lives up to his..."

Doctson's got strong hands and can catch the ball away from his body so he's good on 50/50 balls and the occasional circus catch.

But Doctson's route-running absolutely sucks and why he's unable to gain separation from bigger, quicker NFL CBs vs. the Big XII palookas he faced at TCU and until he cleans that up he's a one-trick red zone pony.

13. nevbeats319

nevbeats319 Well-Known Member

again you are banking on the colts CBS front 2 seasons ago. Ryan griffen has posted 1 season of 400 yard in 7 years as a starting tight end - that is probably ranked in the bottom potion of the league. For all we know, Chris Herndan small sample was 2 years ago in a totally different offense. You don’t know what is he in Adam Gase offense.

All your suggestions are based off ifs and hopes with slims chances of working out.

had they signed PROVEN upgrades or used PREMIUM picks to upgrade these spots I would be game.

also - Adam Gase has yet to prove he can take a everage talent and elevate there performance

14. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

Toughest sonfa bitch on our roster is Brian Winters.

Dude nutted out the season for us with a dislocated shoulder.

I'd love for Gase to reward him with a go at the start of the season.

BacktoQueens likes this.
  15. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

the word is "average" talent and I disagree. Here are some average guys who have played their best football in Gase's offense but maybe its a coincidence

Jay Ajayi (in Miami)
    Julius Thomas (in Denver)
    Knowshon Moreno (in Denver)
    Eric Decker (in Denver)
    Jamison Crowder (in NY)
    Ryan Griffin (in NY)

16. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

Safe to say this guy must have REALLY liked our draft lol.
    Makes you wonder though if Douglas had 1st round grades on all 3 guys.
    I don’t think so based on trading down in the 2nd, but obviously he had high grades on all of them.

17. BacktoQueens

Winters imo is the most physical run blocking Guard on the roster.
    I think he wins the RG spot again, with Van Roten winning the LG.
    Alex Lewis provides quality depth.
    Along with McGovern that’s a good interior group.

The OT position while very intriguing is also very unproven.
    Will Fant be moved to RT? Will Becton be ready to play LT day 1?
    Is Edoga ready to be a backup swing T?
    Will be interesting to monitor how all that develops.

18. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

I think Clark will play a significant role. However it shakes out, the OL is greatly improved, and has a chance to become very good over the next year or two.

Brook! and Imagesrdecieving like this.
  19. BacktoQueens

Gotta give Clark a little time..
    He played OT in college, likely will be converted to G.
    Hopefully he's part of the future plan, but I don't think much of a 2020 factor.

I love that Douglas got a couple nasty big bodies this draft tho....was worried we were going in a smaller athletic lineman direction (which I'm not a big fan of)..

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  20. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

1). I wouldn’t count Winters out. I could easily see him beating out Lewis or Van Roten

2). I don’t think Clark will start but it would be great if he’s good enough to win a job

3).I wouldn’t be surprised if Becton begins his career as a Right tackle

themorey and Brook! like this.