Jets 2020 Roster

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by MaximusD163, Mar 20, 2020.

1. themorey

themorey Well-Known Member

I see you have Becton as the LT. Just curious, am I the only one who sees Becton as the RT at least for 2020? I think thats a logical starting point for him with the shortened offseason and with Becton being such a powerful run blocker while needing some refinement in pass blocking. That gives him time to acclimate to the NFL before throwing him to the wolves. Plus Fant has experience as a LT in the NFL and I think he has the leg up for 2020.

2. MaximusD163

MaximusD163 Well-Known Member

I don’t think it’s out of the realm of possibility. I think he’s the week 1 LT, he’s been working hard with Duke Manyweather so I suspect he’ll be our best tackle with little question.

TwoHeadedMonster likes this.
  3. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

@MaximusD163 Please don't forget to add Quincy Wilson to the CB group, and all of the UDFAs. Thanks.

4. NCJetsfan

Looking at this roster, I can't help but think we're going to be a lot better this season. I think we may wind up having some depth at RB and ILB that we can possibly trade for a WR or 2021 low round draft pick.

At RB we have 6 players. Perine will mostly likely make the team. I hope that Jalin Moore is healthy. I think he has a good chance to make the team and contribute. We also have Kenneth Dixon and Josh Adams. I think Trenton Cannon is definitely a goner. They could conceivably stash Moore on the PS, cut Cannon and keep the other two and have 4 deep at RB, but would be surprised.

At ILB, I can't see how we wouldn't move Avery Williamson. We have 7 ILBs. FA Patrick Onwuasor is definitely going to get a chance to play. I think he will be the new starting LILB. Hewitt will back up Mosley, and Cashman will probably back up Onwuasor. I can't see them keeping over 4 ILBs. They may can stash Burgess and Bello on the PS, but maybe they'll keep 5 with the bigger roster.

I doubt they keep 6 safeties, either. Adams, Maye, and Davis are locks. Bennet Jackson will probably stay since he's the backup for Adams. Farley and Cioffi probably battle for the last spot, and maybe we can trade the loser for a draft pick or player.

TC is going to be fun with some stiff competition and tough camp battles. Can't wait!

Brook! likes this.
  5. MaximusD163

Done

NCJetsfan and Brook! like this.
  6. MoWilkBeast

MoWilkBeast Well-Known Member

This is what I was thinking too, so you're certainly not alone.

themorey likes this.
  7. James Hasty

James Hasty Well-Known Member

Three huge additions that we are basically getting for free from last year are Sam Darnold, CJ Mosely, and Avery Williamson being 100% healthy.

Aside from Robbie (and WInters if he is cut) we haven't really lost anyone who will be missed.

FJF likes this.
  8. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

I had a similar thought during the draft when the Jets graphic showing “Key Departures” came up. Robby was really the only person we’ve lost that could’ve made an impact this year.

James Hasty and donkey like this.
  9. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

And we replaced him with one WR who does exactly what he did and another that can also do what he did and potentially much more for less money combined than we would have had to pay him. There’s not a single departure that’s going to affect us negatively.

10. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

I agree. I will say, I would feel better about a WR trio of Robby, Mims, and Crowder than I do about Perriman, Mims, and Crowder but it’s not by a lot so I’m not going to complain too much.

I really hope the Jets reach out to Carolina about Samuels though. If he can be had for a 4th rounder, I would probably make that deal.

11. BroadwayAaron

I like Samuel but we need some size. We have speed. We need physicality and someone you can throw one up to in the corner of the end zone. Mims has good hands but he’s not exactly a big target.

12. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

I just want more talent in the WR group. Adding Samuels to Mims, Perriman, Crowder would make for a decent group IMO.

Plus, I have a good feeling about Cager ending up with a roster spot. Like you said, we don’t really have a big body possession type in that group.

13. MaximusD163

He’s pretty big, he’s 6’3” with 34” arms, which is a pretty massive wingspan. 34” is usually the benchmark for OT arm length.

Edit: I’m referring to Mims.

14. BroadwayAaron

He’s definitely not small. He’s more of a speed guy though. We don’t have any physicality at receiver unless Doctson wakes up which it Seems like we’re banking on.

15. MaximusD163

Check out this video, it was posted in the welcome to the Jets Denzel Mims thread but take a look, you might change your mind about his physicality.

Footballgod214 and JetFanInPA like this.
  16. BroadwayAaron

he makes some really nice contested grabs and he fights for 50-50 balls. I love a lot about him so you don’t have to try hard to convince me. I’m talking about that Burress type guy that allowed Eli to be a little off on some throws but because he can reach higher than everyone else and had the body mass to move people around.

SOJAZ and NCJetsfan like this.
  17. MaximusD163

This guy did a mock draft before the draft, and he has all three of our top picks going in his first round. He’s pretty knowledgeable, worth a watch I’d say. You can skip around to where he talks about our guys.

18. nevbeats319

nevbeats319 Well-Known Member

Jets still have the worst skill position players in the NFL.

So the questions going into the offseason..

Did they upgrade the oline - yes

Did they upgrade the WRs - we don’t know, maybe not. We heard all off season this was the year to get some WR and we took one (12th one off the board) and down graded from Anderson to Perriman.

Did they upgrade the pass rush (Asked every year since 2007) - we don’t know, asking a 3rd pick to do that is a lot so not likely

Did they upgrade the CB - they added bodies , none of them are proven to be good.

Just my thoughts. I’ve felt like the draft was very Jet like IMO

19. NCJetsfan

Mims is 6'3" and has good jumping ability and with contested catches. He needs to learn how to be more physical and use his body to shield opposing DBs from the ball a little better, but I think he will be fine. Still, it would be great if Lawrence Cager can make the team. He's 6'5". Ryan Griffin is 6'6", Chris Herndon is 6'4", Vyncint Smith is 6'3", Breshard Perriman is 6'2", Josh Doctson is 6'2". Actually, that's the tallest receiving corps I ever remember for the Jets. I know that Richard Castor and some others were tall, but think we only had one tall receiver at a time, not everyone over 6'. Berrios is the only one who is short 5'9". Even Josh Bellamy is 6'0".

20. NCJetsfan

Sorry, but I think you're too negative/cynical. I understand it with Jets' history, but disagree with almost every single one of your statements.

I don't know about other teams, and don't really care. Are the Jets skill position players as good as I'd like for them to be? No, but I think saying they're the worst may be an exaggeration. Bell is an excellent receiver and Perine is supposed to be a good receiver. If Perriman plays like he did at the end of last season, and Josh Doctson begins to live up to being a 1st round pick, the Jets definitely won't have the worst skill position players in the NFL.

The Jets' OL will be a LOT better.

Going from Anderson to Perriman is not a downgrade imo. Perriman is a complete WR, something Anderson will never be. We definitely upgraded the WRs. To say that we didn't is just ridiculous. Mims would have to be an utter and total bust to say that we didn't upgrade the WRs. We'll have Herndon back, we still have Griffin, and maybe even Wesco starts contributing as a receiver this year. We still have Crowder. I doubt it, but we could even get something from Enunwa this year.

We all knew that the Jets weren't going to be able to fill all their holes/needs this offseason. The OL and WR had to take precedence over Edge and CB. Douglas added a fast, athletic, versatile DE/OLB. That's all one can ask if one isn't using his #1 pick on an Edge Rusher.

Saying that none of the CBs are proven good and questioning whether we upgraded is just wrong. Desir had an off year last year due to injuries, but was very good for the Colts prior to that. Wilson similarly struggled with injuries last season, but was good the two years before that, has talent, and was a highly regarded CB leaving college. Bless Austin proved that he can play. The CBs are definitely going to be a better group this year.