Jet Vets want Rex Back

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Endlessly Counting, Dec 22, 2012.

1. AlToon

AlToon Member

Who wanted Sanchez? Rex. The Jets FO wanted to stay at #17 to select Josh Freeman.

Who hired Sporano? Rex. Sporano was a terrible hire. He called the plays 1 year in Dallas and then those responsibilities were given to Josh Garrett.

The Jets need an entire new coaching staff. New OC. New DC. New Special Teams coach. New QB coach. New OL coach. Anything else?

Rex made the AFC game with Mangini's players. The roster has turned over and its gotten worse. Rex has major say in personnel.

2. ArmandJ

ArmandJ Well-Known Member

Did Rex anticipate that Sanchez would be THIS bad to the point of butt fumbling and throwing four interceptions a game? I can't imagine not.

Rex hired Sporano, which in hindsight wasn't his best decision. Once again, I wonder how much of the offensive woes is due to Sporano and not bad quarterbacking play. For the most part, Sanchez has had redzone opportunities. He just hasn't been able to put it in.

So, we need to gut the coaching staff? Why? Just so we can fulfill your blood lust and wait another 3-4 years before being able to realistically compete?

Tannenbaum let the roster that made the AFCCG go out. Bad contracts, letting good players go, all of that. That's his fault, not Rex's.

3. alleycat9

alleycat9 Well-Known Member

how many more years do we need to do that? last year we hoped he learned that he actually has to keep his lockeroom in check. the year before that it was that he needs to keep his mouth shut and not talk so much shit. this year it will be that he needs to.....

4. Jon_Snow

Jon_Snow New Member

not to trade draft pics for a QB who can't run the offense but despite that is your 2nd string QB that you have no intention of using. Whose only purpose is to run a few of gimmick wildcat plays a season. not to hype this special wildcat package that falls on its face.

#44 Jon_Snow, Dec 22, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 22, 2012
  5. lakersmetsjets49ers

Rex Ryan isn't the problem.

When a team averages a new head coach once every 3 years over the past 25 years or so as the jets coaching turnover rate has, its not on the coaches but the organization.

He hasn't lost the locker room and the team has played hard in a year where alot has home bad.

6. laxin

laxin Active Member

Yeah Tanny has the ultimate say in roster moves, but havent you seen a change in style of drafting? Primarily just offense vs defense? Aside from Sanchez, Shonn Greene and Stephen "the hands" Hill, we havent invested much draft picks on the offense... Even in terms of free agency, we have been so focused on adding quality defensive players that our offense has taken a hit.

Yes, much of that lies on Tanny. But Rex's philosophy and MO is that his defense can win games for us and the offense just has to be decent.

Because of this MO, our drafting and FA mirrors this perfectly.

7. Dirty6Sanchez

Dirty6Sanchez Well-Known Member

Bryan Thomas played very well this year, just sayin'

8. ajax

ajax Well-Known Member

Vets on every team struggling to reach .500 should always want the HC to come back. New coaches & New GM usually means the team is gonna clean house.

9. JetD

JetD Member

Lets put it this way Jet fans...Shottenhiemer/Sanchez.......Sporano/Sanchez/Tebow......wtf!.....we need to get a real offensive coordinator......injuries sure didnt help......but i could still do without a cancer like Holmes......my wish is Norv Turner, sign a vet qb to compete with McElroy, or whoever is left standing at seasons end........try to trade sanchez....doubt that will happen......but he is backup at best!......ask yourself how many times you've seen other not so great qb's completing passes to never heard of recievers........WE NEED A FUCKING GOOD OC.......gimmie norv and im a happy camper....KEEP REX

10. red75bronco

red75bronco Well-Known Member

Rex lost me last week. Steve Young is right on the money. He built this team on defense and a running game and neither one is great. When you spend the resources and draft picks this team has, the defense has to be top five and the running game top five.

In my opinion, Rex needs to go.

11. displacedfan

displacedfan Well-Known Member

Do you have a link saying that the Jets FO wanted to stay at 17? Also, Freeman wouldn't have lasted in NY, but different story for a different day.

Again, the rumor was Rex wanted Hue Jackson and that was his pick. We didn't get him and got Sparano.

Tone, Braylon, LT, Cro, Leonard, Scott, Greene, were all not Mangini starters on the top of my head that Rex won with. Also you know the QB that everyone hates now. That's 8/22 starters not Mangini people off the top of my head.

If Rex has a major say in personnel, then what exactly is our scouting department and GM doing if they can't override this? If Rex had a true influence and not the "one pick" each draft he gets, we would have drafted only OL/defenders all the time.

So what exactly is our GM doing where Rex builds this team? We might as well get rid of our GM position and scouting department if Rex is doing all of this.

12. red75bronco

The whole bunch has to go. Rex has no clue about offense and no clue how to develop a qb. Can win I the NFL these days like that.

13. laxin

laxin Active Member

Rex isnt "building" this team as you so literally take it. But his MO and philosophy is definitely reflected within the organization all the way through the draft and free agent signings.

14. red75bronco

+100000000000

15. displacedfan

Yes Rex wants a team that can run the ball and play defense. We haven't improved our OL since drafting Vlad if that counts yet somehow Rex is reflected through this team. The team he wants to build does work in this NFL, we just didn't build it. Our OL isn't great, our RB core isn't great, our LB core isn't great. Our DL and secondary are above average to great. I find all of this more to be the people that scout and sign the players, not the guy that coaches them.

At the end of the day, the scouting head has his job finding the draft picks and Tanny has his job as a GM and signing FA. While yes Rex can have a say, Tanyn and Woody have the last say. The GM doesn't have to nod and agree to whatever Rex says. So either Tanny is a yes man (bad) or Tanny is making bad signings (also bad). I also don't see how letting Jimmy, Woody, Braylon, Cotch go all match Rex's visions. These were Rex guys. Again, if Rex has the final say over the primary people hired to make these decisions, we have bigger problems in the whole way the organization is run.

16. displacedfan

You can if you have
    1) an elite RB
    2) an elite QB
    3) an amazing OC

We have none of that. The easiest way to tread water until getting one of those is to have a team that doesn't rely on it's offense to play great, something we have.

17. laxin

laxin Active Member

Im not going to argue over Tanny, because I think a majority of it falls on him from a personnel stand point. I want his ass on the street, and because of that I just dont see how Rex can be back with a new GM.

Rex is a great defensive coach. Yes. Players may love to play for him. But this offense (whether it be because of the lack of personnel or the personnel not working out) is horrible. Its putrid. I just dont see how that doesnt fall on the HC.

In my eyes, a good amount of it does and thats my problem. I would like to retain Rex, but only if he realizes that in order to win in this league you NEED a QB and a good offense. His job depends on it. We need an innovative OC and we need weapons around him. We dont need shit like "A wide-out? Not my dream pick".

Thats the type of philosophy Rex has brought here and thats what Im talking about...

18. TheJetChase

TheJetChase Member

And with a degrading talent level and the worst quarterback in the league, managed to pull out an 6-8 season so far, with potential to continue his streak since becoming Jets head coach of not having a losing record.

[sarcasmon]
    FIRE THE GUY
    [/sarcasmoff]

19. CJLang

CJLang Well-Known Member

That's not what I just read or heard. From what I've heard recently, rex had final yes or no on all personnel decisions.

Sparano was a rex move. Haley would have chewed up sanchez and spit him out. Sanchez is a metal cupcake.

20. ajax

ajax Well-Known Member

Remember reading something similar. Perhaps we looked @ the same articles? Was basically stating that the general vibe throughout organization was to wait for Freeman to drop & Rex just kept pushing to move up for Sanchez.