JD & Zach Hypothetical

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by legler82, Oct 13, 2021.

1. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

In this hypothetical question that @legler82 asked.

2. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

I'm asking you a question about your answer. After watching the results on the field (including the record, scoring margin, worst ranked offense and bottom 5-10 defense across most statistical categories), how does that bring you to the conclusion that he's put together a good roster?

Jets69 likes this.
  3. The Dark Knight

You are misunderstanding. The question was Joe Douglas' only big mistake was Wilson. Meaning, he has put together a good roster. So saying that, I would say he can have another chance to pick a QB. I don't currently view the Jets as having a good or great roster.

legler82 likes this.
  4. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

Got it. So you're saying by the end of say 2022, if the roster seems to be performing well and the quarterback is holding them back, you would be OK in Douglas choosing the next one?

legler82 likes this.
  5. cval

cval Well-Known Member

We still do not know if we have a good or great roster. We have a young roster with a ton of potential. We are hurting because we have very few vets. Are best vets are Mosley, Crowder and Maye. Mosley is playing well Crowder missed a lot and has Maye.

We will see how these kids develop. I like the youth movement but we will not what we have until at least next year and most likely the year after. We our draft picks next year we will be infused with another round of young talent.

NYJetsO12 and The Dark Knight like this.
  6. legler82

legler82 Well-Known Member

I think this year’s roster is better than the current record.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  7. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

You mean you don't notice all of our star players? Do we even have a star player?

NYJetsO12 and tomdeb like this.
  8. legler82

That was the hypothetical.

9. The Dark Knight

That's not going to happen, but no. I wouldn't give up on Wilson after 2 seasons. If he was somehow a huge failure that quickly (which again he won't), I don't think Douglas would survive that.

I took the question more like Douglas drafted Wilson in 2021, he doesn't play great. He doesn't play great in 2022 either, but Joe continues to build a good roster. By 2023, Wilson is holding the team back, but the rest of the team looks really good. Would you allow Douglas to go look for a QB in 2024 because he did a great job with everything else but the QB position? I think the answer would be yes, if that is the case.

apjbfc, NCJetsfan and legler82 like this.
  10. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

I would.

NCJetsfan and legler82 like this.
  11. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

Hall is on track to become one. AVT has played like one lately. But, as of now, we have no established star players.

tomdeb and ouchy like this.
  12. cval

cval Well-Known Member

13. legler82

We done better w/ lesser talent. There are a bunch of really good players and/or players playing well on this roster.

14. tomdeb

tomdeb Well-Known Member

Sorry, can't agree. Their record is 1-4 and we would still be winless if Bullock made the field goal. I thought the jets looked totally outclassed in the 4 losses, especially in the first half. I think the jets are lucky to be 1-4. I hope they turn it around, but when the scrub falcons MINUS their top two receivers push you around like that, the jets should be worried.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  15. tomdeb

tomdeb Well-Known Member

You mean like having a made field goal taken off the board because of delay of game? Not sure I have seen that before. :confused:

16. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

The Falcons pushed the Jets around the week after the Jets squeaked out a win against another team missing both their top receivers and their starting center after the 1st quarter,

You can make an argument that the Jets shouldn't win another game this year based on how they have shown up for the first 5 games. That's unlikely to happen because on any given Sunday anybody can get very lucky or get caught looking beyond their current opponent. However I think my 3-14 call at the start of the season looks pretty good right now.

tomdeb likes this.
  17. Jeff M

Jeff M Well-Known Member

I am 100% on board with Zach. Of course I am disappointed with his slow start, but that does negate the talent I see in this kid. A big part of the slow start is on Zach, but he is not getting the help any qb, especially a rookie qb needs to succeed. We need better line play, we need a tight end who is a threat, we need a better running game, and we need a true all star caliber receiver. We need an experienced o co ordinater. Now it might be awhile until we fulfill all of those objectives, but is fulfilling two or three of them too much to expect as this season evolves ???

as for joe d, I think I will reserve judgment for at least one more off season.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  18. tomdeb

tomdeb Well-Known Member

Yes, your 3-14 prediction looks a lot more accurate than my 9-8 prediction for the jets this season. I foolishly got sucked into the Zach Wilson to Elijah Moore hype. I have to refocus by remembering that I follow the jets-- the team that thought Christian Hackenberg was a star QB, thought over-the-hill Trumaine Johnson was worth $73M, and once gave up three second round picks a month before the draft to move up just 3 spots in round 1 (without even knowing who might be there). I actually had myself convinced last summer that the jets might once have a winning record. What was I thinking?

19. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

Oh!.. just wait until almost 2024 for a no Playoffs but a great Roster? Then we start with a new QB if necessary and pass on Wilson?

I guess some of us will be pushing 80 till we are in SB at this rate lol

William Shatner made it into space at 90 so I believe I will be fine

20. legler82

You’re just not patient enough.

The Dark Knight and NYJetsO12 like this.