JD should take Hamilton without hesitation at 4....

Discussion in 'Draft' started by NYJ1970, Feb 22, 2022.

1. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Since Adams isn't very good in coverage, saying that Hamilton is better than Adams, really doesn't say a lot imo. I think Ekwonu is clearly the best OL prospect in this draft class. If he had played at Alabama or some other big-time football school instead of NC State, I think he would get a lot more respect than he has.

Jojo likes this.
  2. NCJetsfan

I've seen some wild statements on this board before, but the bolded one above takes the cake. If you truly think our WR and TE corps are good, I don't know what to tell you except that you couldn't be more wrong. Our TE corps is the worst in the NFL. Kroft is a JAG who can't catch and who can't stay healthy. Griffin can catch, but can't block or get open consistently. Wesco is a marginal NFL roster type. Yeboah has some potential, but I'm not holding my breath on him. We need an entirely new TE corps.

Davis, Moore and Berrios are good, but the rest is awful. Injuries happen, and we saw what happened last season when Davis and Moore were injured. Aside from Berrios, none of the other WRs could get open. I think our WR/TE corps led the league in dropped passes, and probably in blown assignments/wrong routes as well.

If the RG spot is fixed, yes, our OL could be good enough, but unless or until it is, then our OL needs work. Fant was excellent at LT, but only average or maybe below average at RT. Moses was average or below average at RT. We also need quality OL depth instead of the stiffs we've had.

Yes, Wilson needs to take the next step in his development, but without quality receivers at WR and TE and time in the pocket where he isn't having to run for his life, that possibly may not happen.

Leicester Jet and Jets79 like this.
  3. NCJetsfan

No trade ups.

4. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

This is revisionist history on Adams with the benefit of hindsight. He was considered an incredible prospect overall at the time. Maybe not due to coverage ability but due to physicality and perceived leadership qualities.

Regardless, Ekwonu still isn't even the best OL prospect of the last 2 years while Hamilton is clearly the best S prospect in at least 5 years. With that in mind I don't know how anyone can argue Hamilton isn't a better S prospect than Ekwonu is an OL prospect.

There are also a lot of analysts who have Neal over Ekwonu. There's basically no one who has any S ranked higher than Hamilton.

5. NCJetsfan

Spot on, yet it's amazing how many Jets fans just don't get it. I see so many on Twitter and some here preaching defense, defense, and moaning about how awful the D was last year. They don't realize that it doesn't matter how great our D may become, if Zach doesn't develop, we're not going to win consistently, and we'll be back in the same mess looking for a QB. They also don't realize that the thing that could help the D the most, is for the Jets to have a great offense that consistently has long drives and puts TDs on the board. That would take the pressure off of them, keep them fresh/rested, and allow them to tee off on opposing QBs.

6. HackettSuxTNG

HackettSuxTNG Well-Known Member

This will become my new Signature.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  7. NCJetsfan

It's not revisionist history. Adams was considered a great prospect, but coverage was something that he really needed to work on. It was his weakness. His strengths were playing the run and his leadership/fiery personality. I loved Adams. Since I knew Mac wasn't going to take Mahomes, I wanted the Jets to draft Adams and was ecstatic that they did.

You're trying to compare apples and oranges. Your saying that, "Ekwonu still isn't even the best OL prospect of the last 2 years while Hamilton is clearly the best S prospect in at least 5 years" is pretty meaningless. There have been a pretty fair number of excellent OL prospects over the last 5 years. There haven't been many (any?) great S prospects that I can remember during the last 5 years. Ekwonu doesn't have to be better than Sewell or other previous OL prospects. He only has to be a better prospect at his position for the Jets than Hamilton is at his.

I know that you rate S as a premium position. I don't. I don't rate OG as a premium position either, but I do rate OT as a premium position, and regardless, I rate OG as more important than S for the Jets. If the Jets re-sign LDT, great, then we can take Hamilton if JD wants. Fixing that RG spot so our offense and Zach can develop are more important than our D at this point in time. Once we develop Zach and get our offense built, we can use an entire offseason or two to totally rebuild our D.

8. HackettSuxTNG

It ridiculous when you have another football team in the same town who is currently experiencing the disaster of drafting a QB, and literally picking 17 of their next 25 draft picks on defense. Do we want the same situation for the Jets?

9. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

To me, the bold is almost the "Kiss of death" for a prospect, at least as far as the Jets go. How many "can't miss", "Best player in the draft", guys have they taken only to see them not work, and often fail spectacularly? And the error is compounded: not only did you fail to fill a needed hole elsewhere, but you didn't even get the "superstar" you thought you'd be getting. Remember Dee Milliner, often injured, but hey, what a great leader! Leonard Williams, he of the "hidden production" crown? Of course Jamal Adams - "Could be the #1 overall pick!"...maybe for drafting the All ME Team. And even Q Williams, who so hyped but really hasn't lived up to it yet - and BTW: if we're giving DTs 3-4 years to "grow into the job", why are we so quick to toss Zach out after less than one season?

I realize that none of these players taken - all under different GMs really has no bearing on what Douglas does this year, but it doesn't silence my fear about taking another "can't miss" defensive guy with a premium pick. If Douglas does take him though and he works out, I'll be happy to admit I was wrong.

Brook!, Jets79 and NCJetsfan like this.
  10. NYJFOREVER

NYJFOREVER Well-Known Member

Yup, guess I don't know what I'm talking about.

Clown post.

The Jets could've had prime Ed Reed on their team this year and would've only one 1 more game and that's a MAYBE. There are way too many holes on this roster to spend the 4th overall pick on a safety that you can find in FA ala Marcus Williams.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  11. boozer32

boozer32 Well-Known Member

I'm with you on the Hamilton pick. But I'm not taking a center anywhere north of the 4th round. That number 10 pick needs to be an offensive player. The type that gets into the endzone frequently.

12. HackettSuxTNG

A center can block to allow Carter to get into the endzone.

13. REVISion

I think this is a separate issue related to TV draft analysts perpetually overhyping everyone for ratings. I never thought Leonard Williams or Quinnen were great prospects, certainly not to the degree the media acted like they were. I didn't have any strong thoughts on Adams or Milliner at the time.

Regardless - the conversation NC and I are having relates to whether Hamilton is a better S prospect than Ekwonu is an OL prospect, and I don't think there's any way to argue he isn't.

There have been plenty of good safety prospects over the last 5 years. Since 2016 there have been over 10 safeties drafted in the first round, including Derwin James. Hamilton is regarded as a better prospect than all of them except for maybe Adams.

14. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

he’s a safety, hell he better be a good prospect if you want to consider him in the top 5

OT is just simply way more important of a position. The fact that there are 2 of them that are both good is a great thing for us

15. BrowningNagle

Jordan Poyer, Micah Hyde... yeah, those are the types of guys you grab in FA under the radar for cheap, you don’t waste a top 5 pick on the position

the crazy thing is that the Jets already did this (draft the top safety early) hit on the draft pick and they still didn’t win anything!

16. NCJetsfan

There's a difference between "good" and "great" prospects and not all 1st round picks are equal. In addition, you know that frequently teams over draft players due to need.

We're just going to have to agree to disagree. I respect your opinion, but we disagree on this issue.

You also failed to answer my question regarding Zach if we don't take Ekwonu at #4, and Zach struggles because of poor play at one or more of the OT spots and maybe RG.

Literally, NOTHING else matters to me at this time other than ensuring that Zach develops. Literally, we could trot out UDFAs at every single defensive position, and I wouldn't care. The defense be damned! I'm an offense guy, and we need to ensure that Zach develops. The D can be fixed after he develops.

17. HackettSuxTNG

PREACH BROTHER!!!!!

18. BrowningNagle

are you a Jets fan or a Zach Wilson fan?

Ralebird likes this.
  19. REVISion

The only real weak spot on our line is RG, and that's a position that's very easy to upgrade in FA or in rounds 2-3. Fant is very good, AVT's good, McGovern is fine, and I expect Becton to be good enough at RT.

Our OL wasn't even that bad last year after the first few weeks, and that was with GVR being a complete dumpster fire. It's not some dire need of a position group assuming we upgrade RG.

westiedog1 likes this.
  20. HackettSuxTNG

Do you want to be like the New York Giants and not know after three years whether you have a real quarterback?