JD gets some credit for this debacle too...

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Cman68, Sep 29, 2020.

1. MJK

MJK Well-Known Member

It's way too early to panic about JD but not signing Anderson and not drafting one of these WR rookies that are already making impacts on other teams is troubling....also drafting a practice squad QB in the 4th will never make any sense we aren't getting a 1st round pick for him. LOL

SOJAZ and NYJetsO12 like this.
  2. chandler

chandler Well-Known Member

I'm all in on JD, and the fact that Manish is trashing him actually makes me feel even more correct about that judgment. Shame on anyone for even reading that dirtbag -- who does not have the Jets interest at heart or the Jets fans at heart. Manish is about Manish. Period. Full stop. He is pure slime and has absolutely no credentials or judgment to even pretend he knows what he's talking about. He simply plays off of people's frustrations. Keep in mind Mehta liked Mac. Let that sink in for a minute -- you want to follow his opinions about a GM be my guest

JD is building for the future and by my eyes seems to know what he is doing. I am actually very excited and eager to see some of his picks actually get on the field (e.g., Zuniga, Mims) because i've been very impressed for the most part with those who have played. Mekhi has blown away even my high expectations. Mann is a very good punter and judging by last night our best open field tackler. :) And i want to see Perrine get the ball way more than he has.

A far more legitimate question in my mind is what's up with all of these injuries. Is that on training staff, or field conditions. Serious issue.

3. jessedark

jessedark Active Member

Troy Aikman was making that point during the game last night. Saying they didn’t resign Robby Anderson, one of Darnold’s favorite targets. He traded Adams his best defensive player. He really wanted to say more but held back.

4. jilozzo

jilozzo Well-Known Member

5. tomdeb

tomdeb Well-Known Member

I did not mean to imply that you stated it was JD's fault. My post was more in response to those who were claiming that. Sorry...my bad.

6. tomdeb

tomdeb Well-Known Member

It's insane to fire a coach and keep the GM, and then fire the Gm after free agency and the draft. Only the Ringling, I mean Johnson, brothers.

7. jcass10

jcass10 Well-Known Member

Its a tough situation. I see both arguments.

Joe Douglas is a big part of the reason the team is 0-4. He's in charge of constructing the roster, and the roster has very few players that look to have legitimately bright futures (although one is Becton, and he's a Douglas guy). If you find yourself furious about how bad this season has been, its impossible not to throw some blame at JD.

Having said that, Douglas was given a six year contract to execute his vision. That takes a few years, and clearly winning year one isn't his priority. He has a ton of cap space, and a plethora of draft picks coming up. If played correctly, this could be built up fast. They already have what appears to be a franchise LT, which is usually step two or three of a rebuild.

If they go into the draft with the number one overall pick and take Lawrence, and then address G and WR with the next couple picks, this could be a completely different offense. Combine that with a new coach, and at the very least next season could be exciting to watch.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  8. championjets69

championjets69 2008/2009 TGG Darksider Award Winner

Slightly diaagree since it is the idiot owners who hired Macidiot:mad:

9. Quinnenthebeast

Quinnenthebeast Well-Known Member

He’s got 11 draft picks this year including 2 firsts and 2 firsts next year. We have the 3rd most cap space in the league. He has the resources to turn this around.

10. nevbeats319

nevbeats319 Well-Known Member

he had the same amount of cap space this year and the same amount of picks. ( the seahawk 1st will be like a 2nd) - oh and unless they get trevor probably still dont have QB

11. AJT73

AJT73 Well-Known Member

SOJAZ likes this.
  12. AJT73

AJT73 Well-Known Member

Douglas definitely deserves some. Not drafting another receiver is awful. After free agency I would've said we need 2-3 receivers in the draft. The fact they had to sign Hogan and he's starting. It's bad.

SOJAZ likes this.
  13. Jets79

Jets79 Well-Known Member

Well most of this shit show of a roster is on Mac and the Johnsons....they should have fired Mac along with Bowles...keeping him on to run yet another shitty draft and free agency was exceedingly stupid and falls on them.

my only real issue with JD so far is not signing Robby. It’s not like he was asking for $20M...I don’t think his deal was unreasonable and it would have made a difference for Sam. I don’t think Robby is a true #1, but he’s a solid #2 type on a team hurting for weapons. We could have signed Robby AND Perriman both.

outside of that, I think our OL and CB’s were awful, and we’ve maybe improved a little there. I get the Adams deal and for that haul I’m ok with it. Yes they will be late first rounders but still...I can live with it.

next year will really be the year to judge JD...a ton of picks and cap space...

tomdeb likes this.
  14. JetBlue

JetBlue Well-Known Member

Yes, obviously Joe Douglas' is responsible for the roster but reducing the state of the roster to simply that dynamic has no rational merit. He inherited a mess and he is doing to right thing by trying to build a team for the long term not simply patchworking a flawed roster to just be a slightly better roster but not a roster that will likely progress to a championship team.

to criticize him for the roster would be to criticize him for the strategy he is employing, and anyone who thinks he should have been focused on simply making the team better than being the worst team in the league in the short term at the expense of a strategy aimed at hopefully achieving the goal of being the best team in the long term has no grounds to complain about being a bad team, because the criticism inherently isn’t interested in eventually being the best team.

whether he is capable of pulling off his strategy to achieve his goal is a different issue.

15. tomdeb

tomdeb Well-Known Member

That is a fair indictment of Douglas that should have drafted at least one more receiver--not sure it would have made a huge difference in 2020. But the pick for QB Morgan in round 4 instead of more receiver help was strange. For whatever it is worth, I thought Douglas should have upgraded out WR position last summer (2019) by picking up someone at the September cuts. I thought the jets need more help at WR going into 2019 besides Robbie, and I thought Douglas would address that last summer but he did not.

AJT73 and NYJetsO12 like this.
  16. MJK

MJK Well-Known Member

The receiving core on this team could easily be Anderson, Crowder, and Claypool which is an epic failure on JDs part....this draft class looks like a typical Jets draft class which is a good first round pick and not much else.

WarriorRB28 likes this.
  17. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

All of us, as crazy loyal Jet fans, have the right to agree or disagree as to the level of culpability that the leadership deserves. Some think JD should carry some of the blame. Fine, I disagree. Yes, having Anderson would have given Sam another weapon, but finding him free and hitting him on stride is another story. We have a building full of people in either injury reserve or limited. I strongly believe there was no way in hell to fix this roster in one year, or even two. Drafting one more WR would have given us one more body in camp but would that have changed Sam's performance or the idiotic game plan?. God fucking forbid about the presence of mind to throw the ball away, and avoid the sack, never mind finding weapons' down hill. Where the fuck is our running game? Weapons? We don't even trust our RBs to give us half a yard. We fucking play to loose. Adam did not want to be in this organization period, not with this putrid CS, so JD did wonders to at least get us more picks.
    At this point, Criticizing JD for drafting a so called "QB in the 4th as waste" is absolutely laughable for a team that has major doubts at QB and just got bitch slapped by an undrafted QB who looked better than our first rounder. So trying to find another gem in the QB ranks is a waste of time for this team? Get serious. Waiting to hit gold with the first pick is a foolish dream. We need to continue to draft a QB until at least we have one that works. CB? well remember when all of us would puke if we drafted D? How did our defense fair last night. Are we stupid enough to think we have the right D? or even the right DC? We piled up so many stupid penalties it was insulting, add to that some pathetic BS calls by the refs and we look like a bunch of clowns.
    Yes, I'm so pissed, but my money is still on JD, if he is crazy enough to stick around this difunctional entity.
    Manish as always was 1000% fucking wrong.
    Culpability should go somewhere around this theme.
    1- Incompetent ownership that hired an incompetent GM in Mac and an even more incompetent coach in Gase.
    2- Incompetent ownership for allowing Mac to stick around and fuck the 2019 free agency and draft setting us back years
    3- Mac, for his absolute and unwavering incompetence wasting this team years of growth
    4- Gase, the final stab to the heart to the Jets and the ultimate wrong coach for this team. He can't get the players nor the coaches under control. Embarrassing

Until we give full power to JD and get the ownership out of the decision making process for football players and coaching talent this team will be a perennial butt for all jokes. So fuck you Manish, the last person to be held responsible is JD. As always, you are dead wrong. Show some balls and tell the truth for once.

18. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Sorry, I totally disagree. The problem isn't with Joe D, but rather fan expectations and impatience. They expect miracles overnight. We had an extremely easy schedule last year. That's the only thing that enabled us to go 7-9 rather than 4-12 or worse. Our schedule is harder this season and we've had a ton of injuries. Lots of NFL teams have been suffering with injuries. Perhaps Gase or the Jets trainers have made the situation worse, but that's something that Joe D can't fix until the season is over.

Joe D didn't put a product on the field. It's his responsibility to do all he can to upgrade the talent level for the future and build a winner. He is doing that. The product on the field is the responsibility of the CS. To put it in terms that Parcells used, Joe D just bought the groceries, he didn't cook them. He's not the chef. Gase is supposed to be the "chef" and an "offensive genius." Has it even occurred to you that Douglas might be using this year to show Chris Johnson how little that he (Johnson) knows about football, and he's trying to get the power and control to make decisions going forward? Has it occurred to you that Douglas may have seen the handwriting on the wall, that he knew this season was going to be mediocre at best with the schedule we had, the CS we have and the limited talent we have? He may have thought (and I think he did!) that I can make another move or two and maybe the team can win 4-5 games, but it will cost us draft capital and cap space, or I can let this team flounder and expose Gase and the CS for what they are, and I can have a lot of draft capital and cap space with which to re-make the team next offseason. IMO the latter is the wiser course and I would do it every single time. He is trying to build a team that can have long-term success, not a team that has a small window and hopes to get lucky, then will turn to shit again. Too many fans want that kind of nonsense.

In order to improve, sometimes we must take a step back before we can go forward. Joe D has cleared cap space and armed himself with additional draft picks for the next two years. He has no control over injuries or over the Covid situation that prevented having mini-camps, OTAs and preseason. If we go 0-16 and either get Trevor Lawrence or a bevy of high/early draft picks, are free from Gase and his awful CS, and the Johnsons realize that they need to let Joe D call the shots/run the football operation, this season will have been worth it, and I'd go through it 3x to make those changes.

He's not perfect, no GM is, and some questioning is valid, but all the negativity and blaming him is idiotic imo. Neither you nor any other Jets fan has a clue what it's like to be in his shoes or what is vision or plan is for this team. We know that we're supposed to give players 2-3 years to develop and that draft picks shouldn't be evaluated before their 3rd season. Why are rookie GMs expected to be miracle workers immediately? Just as some posters are already declaring rookies who have been injured as "busts," imo it's just flat out dumb to already be trashing Douglas.

Not bringing back Anderson may have been a mistake in terms of keeping a receiver that Sam had a comfort level with, but that hasn't caused Sam's bad decision making or his horrible mechanics/footwork and accuracy issues. Joe D hasn't made Herndon dog it and drop more passes than he has caught. Joe D can't help that Gase is inflexible, his play calling is awful, and that he's stupid. Joe D can't help that the Johnsons are stupid. Joe D can't magically make players available in FA or the draft.

#158 NCJetsfan, Oct 2, 2020
    Last edited: Oct 2, 2020
    LAJet, SOJAZ, NYJetsO12 and 3 others like this.
  19. NCJetsfan

We are not much worse talent-wise. That's ridiculous!! Who is all this great talent that JD got rid of? The only reason we weren't in a total rebuild before JD was hired, was because Mac was a total effing moron. The cupboard was bare when Mac was hired and 5 years later, it was still bare. He was historically bad with both the draft and FA. If you can't see and understand that, then perhaps you ought to consider taking up another sport, because football isn't your game.

You truly have been driven insane by this team. I get it. We all have to some degree, but c'mon, this team is better talent-wise, not even worse, much less "much worse."

JD has done nothing even remotely close to deserve firing. He's the most qualified GM we've probably ever had. That doesn't mean that he'll eventually work out, but he stands a better chance of being the answer than any of the last 5+ GMs we've had.

#159 NCJetsfan, Oct 2, 2020
    Last edited: Oct 3, 2020
    tomdeb likes this.
  20. NCJetsfan

JD can't help that Mims got injured. Mims didn't struggle with injuries in college. Mims was the best and most experienced WR prospect left at that point in the draft. Who are those rookie WRs that are already making impacts, and how was JD supposed to get them when he had to use our 1st round pick on Becton who looks like not only our LT for the next 10-15 years but a potential HOFer???

SOJAZ, tomdeb and JetBlue like this.