JD gets some credit for this debacle too...

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Cman68, Sep 29, 2020.

1. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

Last year's schedule was far easier than this year's. Not only in terms of quality of opponents, but also every game was in the same time zone. Last year's team would go 4-12 at best with this year's schedule.

REVISion and HomeoftheJets like this.
  2. WarriorRB28

WarriorRB28 Well-Known Member

You don't think 2019's Jets team beats the crippled 49ers and Broncos teams the 2020 Jets just lost to?

You do realize the 2020 Jets are now in serious danger of going 0-16?

b.reyes16 likes this.
  3. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

The answer is simple: CJ was NOT planning on firing Macc, likely until after the draft he saw what everyone and Gase had been complaining about. I'd bet Gase actually threatened to quit as HC and announce his reasons - Macc's inability to acquire talent - if CJ didn't fire Macc immediately.

Really, look at the body of evidence when trying to figure out the "logic" behind the Johnson Clown's moves: it screams out that their is no sensible logic or football sense between the two of them. To answer your question: it was simply another major fuck up.

REVISion and NCJetsfan like this.
  4. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Well, if I remember correctly, CJ didn't even begin his evaluation until following the draft, and that may have only been at the insistence of Gase. So CJ may have thought that Mac was still doing a good or OK job. CJ admitted that he screwed up and should have stayed on top of the situation and made his evaluation earlier, so I'm certain that he didn't think that Mac was "one of the worst GMs ever but we'll give you one more shot at the draft and fire you immediately after."

5. Section 336

Section 336 Well-Known Member

With Sam yes, with Falk or Fales not so much.

6. Jets79

Jets79 Well-Known Member

Sorry dude But I just can’t let this go....

Mac’s vision????

what the fuck vision was that? Ignoring OL like he explicitly stated he would? Ignoring pass rush like he did time and time again? Using top picks on non-premium positions like safety and DT? Yes Adams is a very good player...I’ll still say he’s not a game changing safety but very few are...the best example to me was Ed Reed...a ball hawk game changer. Adams was very good but the only picks he had were thrown right to him.

and that’s not 20-20 ... most said it at the time that the QB was the right pick. And yeah Watson IS much better than Darnold. I agree no one knew what Mahomes was really going to be, but he was highly regarded by most...after all, KC jumped up almost 20 spots to take him. So none of that was 20-20.

MacMoron thought he had QB all set with McCown and Hack.

Leo Williams...another third overall pick who was not at all impactful...again...very few DTs are...but he’s no Sapp or Donald...again that was the wrong pick.

so what exactly was this so called vision you are referring to? Drafting non impact players? Ignoring OL?

please

the guy was only better than Idzik because at least the players he drafted in the first round weren’t total busts like Calvin fucking Pryor was, but they were still absolutely the wrong picks.

the guy will never be a GM again and fucked our roster up so badly.

And I’m not going to ding him for the trade up for Darnold....I know many hate it but to me, giving up only second rounders and not a bounty of firsts was actually ok with me....I liked the move fine at the time. But his overall draft record is abysmal...if you want we can lay it all out and go pick by pick but that would be a very painful exercise.

and then layer on top of that his brutal free agency moves...

I have no idea how you can talk about any fucking vision or defend that loser with a straight face...

so again, I’ll just assume you’re taking the contrarian view like a debate team just to rile shit up, but I really can’t believe that anyone with a clue would jump to defend Mac’s tenure as a GM

not anyone who knows football....

7. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

No, he's not just being contrarian, he actually believes the nonsense he types. Save yourself the rise in your BP and just ignore him.

8. NCJetsfan

I'll second that. That poster is either a troll or the most clueless, ignorant Jets fan I've ever had the displeasure of running across. He is literally wrong on almost everything, if not everything. I'd be willing to bet that he is one of the Johnsons.

REVISion and Jets79 like this.
  9. LongIslandBlitz

LongIslandBlitz Well-Known Member

Finding good players is pretty easy....I dont understand how and why the Jets have failed at this for the last 10 years.....We have been rebuilding since Rexs last season and it hasnt gotten us anywhere.The Jets never take the right players in the draft...its surreal.

10. WarriorRB28

MacCagnan made plenty of mistakes and he paid for them with his job. I'm not saying he was perfect or a savant.

What I'm telling you is this, for better or for worse, the Jets team Douglas inherited was HIS football team, his vision, his creation.

He did find some high impact quality football players.

Jamal Adams is a superstar. The jury is still out on Quinnen he looks much improved in 2020 and would be making more of a impact if the refs let him finish plays without throwing flags. Sadly we may never know what Darnold can be here.

You really believe he would've allowed Robby Anderson, btw he's on his way to another 100 yards receiving day today, to walk away? A undrafted gem of a #1 WR he found really?

When MacCagnan was here Adams was ALL IN on being a Jet as soon as he got fired he wanted out. What changed?

You really believe MacCagnan wouldn't have loaded up at WR in this past draft to give HIS #3 overall pick QB the best chance to succeed?

The Johnsons pulled the plug too soon. Incompetents. Replaced him with a GM that could soon have a 0-16 poop stain on his resume.

11. WarriorRB28

That said I can understand why the Johnsons the bosses would be so upset with MacCagnan.

The Trumaine Johnson contract was awful, the Enunwa extension awful, the $10 million he gave McCown to backup and go 0-3 in 2018 awful. Exercising the $14.2 million option in Leo's rookie contract awful he didn't even get the team a sack.

So much wasted money on players that weren't any good.

But if they had just shown just a little bit more patience I do believe we were on the verge of getting the big payoff when they pulled the plug.

12. RedRoute1

RedRoute1 Guest

Just my two cents on Idzik and Mac....Idzik had the completely right plan but had zero skills, ability and expertise to execute the plan and even worse had no ability to empower the right people to execute the plan, which his resume showed from the start. Mac started with a good plan but panicked toward the end and did all the things that executives on the verge of getting fired do, spent way too much money on the wrong people hoping to save his job...Then we learned that Mac, although he had the right resume, had a hard time making executive level decisions...That is the sign of lack of conviction and a death sentence for any exec in any business. He seemed to be about "risk elimination" when the name of the game is "risk mitigation" and then abandoned "risk mgt" all together by signing TJ and LB = Fired...JD seems to have the right resume and respect of his peers, subordinates and executive leaders in the NFL. Proof is in the pudding of course and we'll have to see what he does in the next two years but finally we seem to be starting with the guy with the right resume, right skills and abilities and a guy who other's have said has the executive level attributes to succeed at GM. We haven't been in this position in a very, very long time...Even Tannebaum was a salary cap guy under Parcells...

Jets79 and CotcheryFan like this.
  13. Jets79

Jets79 Well-Known Member

Agree

that’s what I’ve been saying...

JD is the first guy in decades that the reaction to his hiring isn’t “they hired WHO???? Really???”

that’s what the reactions were toIdzik, Mac, etc

none of those guys deserved the role

14. NCJetsfan

I disagree that Mac had the right resume. I believe that he only worked for one team, the Texans, and it was rumored that they were about to fire him. That organization had ruined David Carr by not putting an NFL OL in front of him. They added great pieces on Defense but never found the right offensive pieces until after Mac was gone and even then, still got Watson hurt his rookie season because of their shit OL.

At least he had scouting and personnel experience, unlike Idzik and Tanny, but it wasn't experience with a quality, winning organization like the Ravens, or Steelers, or Seahawks, or Patriots, or Saints, to name a few.

REVISion and Jets79 like this.
  15. Section 336

Section 336 Well-Known Member

Excellent points, but if they don’t get rid of Gase and let him have his guy it doesn’t matter.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  16. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

It's not nonsense at all lmao. Strength of schedule is a quantifiable thing, and we literally had the easiest one in the league last year. There's no arguing with someone who will deny things that are plain to see. Have a good day.

17. Jets79

Jets79 Well-Known Member

Yeah...hard to take someone seriously when they are arguing in support of keeping Mac....the man with no plan, the man who did not believe in building an OL but did believe in Hack, the man who wasted premium picks on non impact positions, and the man who quite possibly has the worst free agency signings in decades.

I don’t understand why this is the man he chooses to support...it’s laughable. Even if JD proves to not be the guy, firing Mac was still the right thing to do and should have been done way earlier.

the man will never be a GM in this league again...

18. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

People keep saying it because Douglas was the General Manager who negotiated the trade that removed Adams from the roster of the Jets. Prior to the trade, as you say, a contract was in place that would have kept Adams on the Jets for two more years. It is hard to be more complicit than that.

19. NCJetsfan

What total nonsense! What do you call Becton and Fant? In addition, with no mini-camp, OTAs, or preseason, we knew that it was going to take 4-6 games for the OL to gel.

20. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

But we both know that isn't the simple and straightforward way you meant it.