JD gets some credit for this debacle too...

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Cman68, Sep 29, 2020.

1. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

Very true indeed. But next year, with the added picks, a yes or no position with CJ and Bell, free agency needs to be spruced up with a couple of real leaders that make this team accountable.Williams and Gase are not the future, so fix that immediately. JD vision is solid. Build thru the draft with some veteran talent in key spots. Next coach needs to be respected and a motivator for this young team. Give the players a chance to succeed and inspire confidence. To me a Pete Carrol of old or a Macvay type of personality that gets the most out of a team. BUT, If JD does not pick the next HC, we are doomed with more of the same horse shit

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  2. tomdeb

tomdeb Well-Known Member

Say what? You repeatedly blame ownership for what you label "the entire lack of talent" on the jets but also claim ownership "bungled firing Mac." (?????). Who do you think drafted all those worthless players the last 5 years like Darron Lee and Chris Hack and gave out over $100M to losers like Trumaine Johnson, Quin Enumwa, CJ (sit out) Mosely, La Bell, etc? It was MacCagnan, not the owners. Your case against ownership would be a lot stronger if you faulted them for staying with MacCagnan for too long, an error that owner Chris Johnson just recently admitted.

ColoradoContrails and LAJet like this.
  3. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

I was responding to Railbird's thread where he intimated that.

#183 LAJet, Oct 3, 2020
    Last edited: Oct 3, 2020
    NCJetsfan likes this.
  4. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I took it that he meant that the Jets bungled by not firing Mac earlier, like maybe a year earlier, or at least prior to FA and the draft last year instead of following the draft. I could be wrong, but based on the rest of his points (#2, #3, and #4) where he faults the Johnsons for their horrible hires at GM (including Mac), it seems like that's what he meant.

#184 NCJetsfan, Oct 3, 2020
    K'OB, REVISion and tomdeb like this.
  5. RedRoute1

RedRoute1 Guest

Yes, you nailed what I meant, I should have clarified that by “bungling” I meant kept him way to long and then fired him at an unprecedentedly late time on the football calendar...but par for the course for an ownership group that is truly lost!

ColoradoContrails, K'OB and tomdeb like this.
  6. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

Good points..but I believe I said CJ admitted he made the mistake (not JD) to fire MM

The whole process that Douglas is now undertaking would have been started a year earlier

If you are saying he is not done with the Jets OL then I believe you..because our run blocking is not great and you admit Fant for example "struggles" with run blocking

After MM wasted $120 mil in FA I can almost understand the Johnsons telling JD to go easy on spending...but I think JD really does believe in getting FA bargains and sometime you pay the price going cheap..what do you think about Perrimens absence or even the rookie Mims?

I still think in hindsight paying Robbie the $ he wanted was a better idea..he showed up for every game and made enough big plays that probably won us games

OTOH if this is a 6 year project for Douglas he wants to plant seeds with rookies and not put out big contracts

The waiting will kill me as a Fan and i am sure you know what I mean. No easy answers to this mess ha

NCJetsfan likes this.
  7. NCJetsfan

JD can't help that Perriman and Mims have been injured. I believe that is totally a byproduct of Covid-19 and not having OTAs, mini-camps and preseason games. The announcers were saying Thursday night that all the hamstring pulls/tears, soft tissue injuries was due to not having enough of that kind of activity or running and practicing getting their legs conditioned.

Yes, it will be hard to wait, but I don't think it will take JD 6 years to turn things around. We've waited this long. If we see signs of progress and improvement that give us hope, that should help make it easier. Players like Becton and Mann give me hope. I believe that Davis and Mims will eventually make big contributions as well. I can even see Clark developing into a solid starter at OG. I think we just need to be patient, tune out the negative Nancys, and get a new CS, and the sky is the limit. If we don't get a new CS hired by Douglas, then there is no hope.

ColoradoContrails and NYJetsO12 like this.
  8. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

Yup, by comparison to getting rid of Adams and Anderson, arguably the two most solid players last year.

9. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

Beating a dead horse here but I still can't believe how dumb it was to let Mac ruin one more draft before firing him. It honestly might be one of the dumbest front office moves in modern NFL history.

I usually try to see the other side of any argument but I cannot fathom what CJ was possibly thinking by doing that. What was his train of thought? "Hey Mac we know you're one of the worst GM's ever but we'll give you one more shot at the draft and fire you immediately after."

???

NCJetsfan and Jets79 like this.
  10. SOJAZ

SOJAZ Well-Known Member

Wanted to comment on the comments about the improved OL. They graded out worst OL week 1, week 2 and 3 was not much better and well 4 was a disaster, 6 sacks and 10 QB hits.... take out Sam's run and the Jets averaged 2.5 yards per carry Thursday. That is not better then last season. Frankly, I thought I was watching last years OL for C sake.

Of course everything that has happened this year with all the new moving parts has hurt this team but absolve JD regarding this teams composition is factually incorrect. To Borrow NC's Parcell's analogy, he got the groceries but they aren't very good...

#190 SOJAZ, Oct 3, 2020
    mrmajix likes this.
  11. WarriorRB28

WarriorRB28 Well-Known Member

Rudderless ship.

12. mr nyjet

mr nyjet Well-Known Member

with the covid problem and the drop in revenue, i bet douglas was under orders from ownership NOT to spend a lot of money.

roger the dodger goddell says the PSLs are a great investment but we know better.

so, don't buy them or tickets until you see the johnson brothers start making the right decisions.

having matt rhule walk out because you wouldn't let him hire his own assistant coaches?

passing up a resume like mike mc carthy but hiring adam gase? really?

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  13. WarriorRB28

The team finished 2019 6-2 7-9 overall.

This team with JD's groceries could go 0-16. Seriously the Johnsons could have hired any Joe Blow fan on this board and not done any worse.

No way this team is 0-4 if he had just added to what was already here. If he had built instead of destroyed.

I think they would've killed the crippled 49ers and Denver. No worse than 2-2. JMO

I don't buy 'it had to be this way' or 'it was gonna take years to clean up Mac's mess'

This team could've/should've finally been ready to compete this season.

Should've stuck with MacCagnan.

14. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

Our schedule in 2019 was literally the easiest in the entire NFL. We were a far worse team than our record would indicate.

Also - you blame JD for ruining the team in the 1.5 years he's been here but give Mac none of the blame for his 4 year run that preceded this disaster? You do realize most of the guys currently on the team are on it because of Mac, right?

JerzeJets and ColoradoContrails like this.
  15. Jets79

Jets79 Well-Known Member

Seriously...youHAVE to be joking right? MacCagnon is only saved from being the worst GM ever because we also had Idzik.

you literally CAN’T believe that Mac was any good right?

do we need to go through his drafts to show how he fucked them all? Do you need to be reminded how he passed on both Watson and Mahomes to take a fucking box safety because he thought McCown and Hack were the answer at QB? Do you need to go through all of the stupid free agent moves? Or how he ignored OL and pass rush for five fucking drafts? How he drafted a third round pick that didn’t even make the team and is not on any other active roster? the guy had no plan or clue on how to build a team.

we could go on for days.

And the prof is that he’s not even working in the NFL anymore...he will NEVER get a GM job again.

you can’t be serious...

REVISion and ColoradoContrails like this.
  16. NCJetsfan

Sadly, he is either serious, or he is a troll.

REVISion likes this.
  17. KWJetsFan

KWJetsFan Well-Known Member

JD was supposed to be an OL guy. He hasn't done jack or sh*t to seemingly improve it this year.

18. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

He didn't get rid of Adams though, I am not sure why people keep saying this.

Adams still had two years left of a contract, a contract he is still playing under for the Seahawks, he instigated this move by his demands and then when that didn't work he insulted everybody he could including the fans, he wanted out, some will say can you blame him and fair enough but there are better ways to do it imo.

I agree he fucked Robby off and as he was my favourite player that was a huge pisser and after his first 2 games this season it is likely he breaks the 1000 barrier and that won't be a shock, he was held back here by our OC's that only turned to him in desperation and decided a few bombs maybe would be the best plan, after all, he could and should have had two 1000 yarders for us, if not three tbh

19. WarriorRB28

Nonsense.

You are what your record says you are. I remember people saying that about last year's 6-2 finish never made any sense to me.

When a team starts 0-7 how in the frickin' world can any opponent be considered 'easy'?

Last year's Jets team would've beat the crippled Niners team and the Denver team they just lost to. The core of last year's team plus improvements/additions would've killed both teams. JMO

Instead the Jets lost to both teams by double digits at home & 0-16 looks like a very real possibility.

MacCagnan wasn't perfect he made plenty of mistakes but IMO there's no way this team would be anywhere near this bad if he were still the acting GM.

20. WarriorRB28

He made plenty of mistakes but his vision/plan/roadmap for the team was starting to come into focus. There's no doubt in my mind he would've put the team in position to contend this season and we'd be finding out about Darnold.

Watson & Mahomes hindsight is 20-20. I remember that time period very well very few people were saying to take a QB most were saying to wait for the golden QB class of 2018 instead which included Darnold.

I don't put Watson on the same level as Mahomes he's had a good start to his career but not enough for me to say oh we could've had Watson instead of Darnold.

Mahomes hurts but again that's hindsight no one knew he would be this good if they did know he would've gone #1 overall. Then again if Mahomes were here with JD's crummy groceries he wouldn't look much different than Darnold does now.