Jay's House of Weather 'n Stuff

Discussion in 'BS Forum' started by jaywayne12, Dec 25, 2010.

1. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

Oh, it's not hard to do, and they exist.... but no one wants to spend the $, and everyone wants a "traditional" home like they used to have

2. typeOnegative13NY

typeOnegative13NY Well-Known Member

Glad that’s all it was for you.

3. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Well that's not going to work for too much longer in So Fla. Maybe a few seasons more but at some point pretty soon we're going to hit the next tipping point and hurricanes are always going to have the kind of storm surge we saw out of Ian.

The thing that's really amazing about climate change at this point is that it is literally all around us and we're adapting at a turtle's pace to what is going on. At some point that type of adaptation just collapses under the surge of real events and then you get much larger adaptations than would have occurred if we were quicker earlier in the process.

4. The Waterboy

The Waterboy Well-Known Member

All I have is one bedroom the carpet got damp along one wall, have it pulled back now with a fan on it, not sure if I'll change out the pad since it is barely damp (newer rebond that doesn't hold near as much moisture as the older rebond). Would have left it to dry on it's own but the old lady walked in that room and felt it. Now I might have to change out the carpet and of course then it wouldn't match the other rooms so I'll have 3 bedrooms of carpet to change out.

Did some more driving today and there were some massive trees down but most missed homes. Daughter in Lakeland had one larger limb go down but only took out overhead cable line.

5. typeOnegative13NY

Was the water from drivin rain, or rising from ground?

if it’s just damp from drivin rain, you can just pull up as you have, dry with the fan and a Dehu with the room closed off. Then spray benefect from home depot on the subfloor, both sides of the pad and carpet. Just gotta make sure it’s dry before any odors start, that means growth has started.

#17125 typeOnegative13NY, Oct 1, 2022
    Last edited: Oct 1, 2022
  6. Br4d

The only good thing about Ian is that for once the NWS was right about a wicked storm surge. That will save lives somewhere down the line.

7. bicketybam

bicketybam Well-Known Member

I figured the only good thing about this storm was that it would eliminate some possible carriers of COVID-19. Because that will be the downfall of us all!

8. The Waterboy

From driving rain, I'm on the 4th floor in an 8 story building, must have just pushed through cracks where the outside concrete walkway meets the wall.
    Just a perfect mixture of rain being pushed a certain direction by the storm, doubt it will ever happen again. Luckily it has not been humid at all since the storm passed so drying out good.

9. stinkyB

Still a swamp here.... Back to some yard cleanup this morning before doing "real" work. My bannana and papaya trees took a beating. Too bad they were loaded with unripe fruit. RIP

Cutup and removed a fallen palm tree for old lady down the street yesterday morning before the game.... between that, the sandbag olympics and going for a surf friday when the wind went offshore, this huuricane crossfit shit has me worn out... (I'm sure all the hurricane beverages didnt help either ;)

My neighbor is from Port Charlotte area and all his family is there.... said most of their homes are standing / ok, but the landscape looks like everything was mowed by a giant weedwacker... oaks, everything, gone. Only was able to talk to them as one had a satellite phone (cell towers all down)

10. typeOnegative13NY

going to be 39 degrees here on Tuesday night. Not looking forward to any real cold stuff, but pretty excited for the heat and humidity to be gone.

11. stinkyB

50s at the beach here in Northeast FL this morning o_O

12. The Waterboy

53 by me in Central Florida, bunch of whiny 2nd graders outside at PE this morning

13. Br4d

32 degrees in Western CT. That's kind of cold for late October. Not wicked cold but it generally does not get down below freezing at night until early November.

14. typeOnegative13NY

A little something brewing in the Atlantic , possibly set to take aim at Florida,ga, and sc again. Nothing major, but a pain in the ass nonetheless.

15. The Waterboy

So we had a few days of cooler weather, and by cooler I mean it didn't get to 90. Next 3 days more of the same, upper 80's to 90, then we get our cooling off, highs will only be 83-84. Maybe by December we'll be down in the 70's. Maybe the tropical system will cool us off a bit.

16. Br4d

Heat wave here in Western CT. Got up to 72 Friday, 75 yesterday and headed that way today. Kind of unusual for CT this late in the year but we did have some freezing nights in late October also which was very unusual.

The Tonga volcano eruption was supposed to be a cooling event since normally gasses that deflect incoming UV saturate the upper atmosphere in those eruptions. However apparently Tonga sent an unusual amount of water vapor into the troposphere and this will be a short-term warming event instead. Not what we needed.

https://www.jpl.nasa.gov/news/tonga-eruption-blasted-unprecedented-amount-of-water-into-stratosphere

17. stinkyB

yes about to be a PIA for those of us on the beach, esp for volusia county.... a few inches of rain, but 20-30kt+ onshores and 15-20' seas on a beach that's still in shambles from Ian...

at least I got some fun pre-JETS surf (light winds this morning) before the week long shit-show starts

18. stinkyB

meh.... not done with hurricane season yet :confused:

19. The Waterboy

Any of you that are a little better than me looking at the data for this storm care to take a look and let me know if the current forecast intensity is close to what I should expect. Not worried about this one but just want any other opinion.
    [​IMG]

20. stinkyB

Oceanfront Volusia county (Ponce Inlet area in particular) still reeling from the last storm is fuct! There will be houses in the ocean.
    I expect downtown St. Augustine to flood again... debating if I have to really prepare for this one. I'm thinking I'm ok.
    The effects from this one will be surge as the windfield is pretty large... seas supposed to be over 20'... that's alot of water pushing into the inlets

You're totally fine on the other coast