Jay's House of Weather 'n Stuff

Discussion in 'BS Forum' started by jaywayne12, Dec 25, 2010.

1. typeOnegative13NY

typeOnegative13NY Well-Known Member

Weather fans that remember the earlier days of the weather channel will remember Jeanetta Jones. She passed away, apparently from covid( read on the internet , not familiar with the source , forgive if wrong). Rip.

2. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

Levi runs a great site.....

I think it misses the island, but still not a bad idea to fill the fuel tanks (car and propane for grill just in case)

Fred Mertz likes this.
  3. stinkyB

bummer.... as a surf starved kid in the summer I eagerly watched TWC hoping for something...

RIP

typeOnegative13NY likes this.
  4. jaywayne12

jaywayne12 Well-Known Member

Wow...she couldnt have been too old even though she goes back...RIP.

5. jaywayne12

I find it pretty amazing how the NWS is kind of blowing off several models that want to do a Sandy type thing but about 100 to 150 miles north...with room to sway around. The only difference I see is that its not actually a left at the light....more just a straight direct line over Mass with some showing a straight line like that above into L.I.

I mean you have 4 or 5 models that are NOT showing the current path the hurricane center is showing. They must be locked on something in the uppers saving the day at the 11th hour... but its gutsy to not paint at least the potential.

regan62072 likes this.
  6. jaywayne12

No doubt it could FM...but it might not...and THAT would be pretty bad.

7. regan62072

regan62072 Well-Known Member

I’m going to hang around my place this weekend just in case, with the moon we’ll probably get some minor flooding at high tide.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

jaywayne12 likes this.
  8. jilozzo

jilozzo Well-Known Member

FUCK ME with this weather.

CANNOT deal with another irene or sandi.

much rather it crash onto martha's vineyard and wash away the dickhead ex presidents spread.

regan62072 likes this.
  9. jaywayne12

Yeah....NWS has now caught on and it taking it quite serious....here is a link with all the potential maps from storm surge...future winds/rain etc. Crazy thing about this is the rain amounts are not that high. Not sure what to make of that considering this is a pretty deep system.
    Anyway...use this guys and just refresh...hit the pic you want to see expanded.
    Looks like Jersey is ok with this besides rip currents and some beach erosion but not much precip....or wind. Could change but not now.
    The good news for Long Island is as of now, the eye goes over Eastern L.I....which means all west of the eye will get winds from the opposite direction...and not much storm surge at all...looks like very eastern LI and then Rhode Island....which means CT for the most part is on the good side of the storm like Long Island.
    Gun to head would be very very Eastern L.I. Eastern Rhode Island, South Eastern Mass and of course Cape Cod look to be in the worst spots...places west of there drop off considerably...and once you get 60 to 80 miles west of it...luck out.
    LINK: https://www.nhc.noaa.gov/graphics_at3.shtml?start#contents

#16689 jaywayne12, Aug 20, 2021
    Last edited: Aug 20, 2021
    regan62072 likes this.
  10. regan62072

regan62072 Well-Known Member

Thanks!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

11. typeOnegative13NY

Looks like it’s shaping up to be quite the storm. Saw that it could get up to a cat 3 up until it crosses past New Jersey, then weakening some from the colder water. Could hit eastern li, up to cape cod as a strong 1. Most of my family is still in e-long island. My daughter in Boston.

12. typeOnegative13NY

Just stepped outside , and am watching the best light show from a distant storm I’ve ever seen. It’s over 40 miles away (maybe heading toward you jaywayne). Non stop lighting , and can actually see the bolts all through the clouds. Tried to get it on video , but it does it no justice.

edit… local weatherman is on it, don’t need my crappy video

#16692 typeOnegative13NY, Aug 20, 2021
    Last edited: Aug 20, 2021
    Brook! likes this.
  13. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

Looks like a tidal trifecta in the works. The storm will arrive on full moon day and the high tide at Shinnecock Inlet is at 7:45 AM, right around what current forecasts are showing as landfall time.

14. Joe Willie White Shoes

Joe Willie White Shoes Well-Known Member

Hey jaywayne12! How are you. Are you still in the weather business. Henri is frightening and disruptive. I have family in NYC and LI and am concerned for them. And this is the last thing NYC needs right now as it struggles to deal with COVID. How bad does it look to you?

jaywayne12 and Brook! like this.
  15. stinkyB

This thing is NOT going Cat 3.... like I said earlier. Fuel up your vehicles (chainsaws, generators, etc), get beer, and trim any dead limbs near the house...

Looks like NHC has been sticking with GFS, which has been by far the most accurate/consistent one with this storm so far....

typeOnegative13NY likes this.
  16. Fred Mertz

Fred Mertz Active Member

I'm on the north shore of LI. Pulled the boat just in case. Hoping the storm slows down. I'm in the local volunteer fire department and don't want to have to get into it too early. I'm going to a birthday party at the TWA hotel tonight and staying over. I plan on some adult beverages, so later Sunday is better for me.

jaywayne12 and Brook! like this.
  17. Brook!

Brook! Soft Admin...2018 Friendliest Member Award Winner

Be safe my friend.

18. jaywayne12

Remember FM....Your part of LI will get the worst water as the storm passes...winds will swing down from CT to northern LI AFTER the storm passes. And will be a huge difference that people drop their guard with. When that center for the storm comes ashore.
    Only if the storm passes to your west will it be somewhat less. Regardless, keep an eye out for the storm...as it passes LI....the real wind driven winds off the water head towards the north shore.

Incredible shift towards the west with the models so....keep an eye out if that continues.....Central MASS looks like a direct hit but that will be after passing over several quick shots of land.

Will be on tomorrow to add anything that might see important.

Keep safe guys!!

Brook! likes this.
  19. jaywayne12

HEY JWWS!!! TY BUD!! Hope you are well.
    Well the shift west is pretty dramatic and although its getting close...no more shifts...looks like it splits LI in half and then heads through CT TO MASS.

While the rain numbers seem pretty low considering the strength...Parts of the LI southern shore line will get beat up pretty bad...real bad. Thats my biggest concern. After that a big wind and rain storm...but southern LI especially middle to the eastern edge has me a bit concerned...just wide open and this shift has been a poor one for them.

Brook! likes this.
  20. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

Middle of the track has shifted back to the east since last night, now showing in the Easthampton area. That's bad news for low-lying Montauk downtown. Also arrival time has moved back from the morning high tide to the afternoon high tide - out of the frying pan, into the fire.

EDITED: Actually just realized I read the tide table wrong; no wonder it didn't sound right when I posted. The tide at Shinnecock at 1:33 and Montauk Point at 2:05 is the low tide and the full moon should pull it down. May be catching a break. Center of the landfall area remains around Easthampton.

#16700 Ralebird, Aug 21, 2021
    Last edited: Aug 21, 2021
    Brook! likes this.