Jay's House of Weather 'n Stuff

Discussion in 'BS Forum' started by jaywayne12, Dec 25, 2010.

1. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

Jay, I completely understand what you’re doing. Good luck.

2. jaywayne12

jaywayne12 Well-Known Member

Thanks fjf... it's not super risky...but it will be...well...out there..no where to go. Only concern is trapped by flooding waters and I got that figured out. I'm doing it...always wanted to but always an excuse...my boys..my spouse...well..everyone is all grown and its me... AND AGAIN...i will be in a spot semi protected. Only concern is blowing debris.
    Will update you guys.

3. jaywayne12

This is why I'm going for it...hurricane warning now here. 75 to 95 gusts 110...7 to 10 inches...all in less than 18 hours...closer to 14.

Will post good stuff.

FJF likes this.
  4. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

I might be the only here that fully understands. They probably have a name for it but when I see people in extreme weather and people are saying “oh those poor people “ I am thinking damn I wish I was there. I feel the adrenaline starting to kick a notch when storms are in bound. In ‘98 Floyd was suppose to strike Jacksonville directly and they were forecasting Armageddon the city was petrified and everyone was evacuating and I couldn’t wait to see what was going to happen. I got as close to the beach as I could ready to see nature’s worst. It turned out to be a bust. That was my one chance when I had no one or pretty much anything to lose. Single, 20s just out of the navy.if I lost everything I owned I would have been out $100.
    $50 of it in weed. I was so disappointed.
    In 04 me and the wife were riding out Francis and while it got bad it didn’t get what I’ve been looking for and by then I had bought a house and settled in so the rush was dampened by the concern of having to deal with damage.
    my kids will be grown soon too and you may see me one day on the news heading down 95 south when everyone else is heading north. Until then, I keep hoping for the blizzard of all blizzards to scratch this itch

CBG likes this.
  5. CBG

CBG Well-Known Member

WTF ??????

6. CBG

CBG Well-Known Member

You might be Fjay as I had one buddy who got stranded on his roof screaming for help he thought he was going to die that night he was rescued and is gone now but he was a rough dude who was VERY humbled by this experience. Jay = yes I think you are insane and this IS NOT a wise move. BTW you did already do this and it was not that long ago. I get being out in a Nor Easter / Snow storm but THIS ? With shit flying everywhere and water rising in the street and possibly in your house = no thanks Im out. Be careful Jayster and be smart ps It has a good chance to make landfall if no where else then at OBX keep us posted and if I should you a text you damn well better respond and give me at least a thumbs to let the guys and gals know you are ok

7. jaywayne12

https://earth.app.goo.gl/z5ovoA
    Will be just north of Airlee gardens...great open lot...
    .75 mile from ocean...elevated...if I get booted from there...will move 1 mile inland towards i40....just north of uncw... college road. Great open elevated spots there that didn't flood with florence.

8. CBG

CBG Well-Known Member

9. CBG

CBG Well-Known Member

Maniac do me a favor,,,bring ,,,,,,,,,or better yet wear a helmet and a life jacket

10. CBG

CBG Well-Known Member

Jay be safe my brother even if this is a TS by the time it gets to you it will be dangerous , most are saying Cat 1 when it hits you.

11. CBG

CBG Well-Known Member

If this storm slows could it possibly reach Cat 2 or Cat 3 again ? I think it could and BTW the eye is REALLY large at this point and winds will effect areas well inland .Looking at the radar the west side of the storm looks VERY healthy right now and that will pull water and wind in off the ocean. The side east side does not look too great right now but that can easily fill back in-----Jay and others be safe as I don't think you or anyone else should be looking to be out in this thing just not the best idea IMO , I hope you rethink it today

12. jaywayne12

Cbg...just so we are on the same page...its a little crazy....but I'm not...nor could i... hang out at the beach...I'm a good 3/4 of a mile from the ocean...so unless a tsunami hits at the same time...I'm good. It's not as gutsy as you think...I just will be mobile during it. I'm not going to put law enforcement in danger to bail out my old ass.
    My concern is blowing debris...flooding ...and tornadoes and the first two ...I have a plan of total safety for those...so..thanks for then concern boss...but it's all good.
    And I'm telling you...i still smell bust also.

CBG and FJF like this.
  13. jaywayne12

Lol...me too...florence took over my former number one storm to be in...the blizzard of 96. Florence...I mean...it was a cat 2 barely...but the stall...14 hours just a few miles north of the eye...it never stopped. If this storm were to max out...it wouldn't come close to florence. But prep down here ain't buying that. Its cloudy and a bit breezy today and schools are closed the rest of the week already including today. Businesses are closing at noon except food places. Gas lines started two days ago and some stations have no gas. Florence scarred many...and I get why. People down here are slow moving...and easy going...except for hurricanes. They dont mess around.
    Back in the late 90's...they got back to back storms here that some beaches still haven't recovered from...fran and Bertha. I was here for Bertha.
    After florence everyone here is beat up. It destroyed many. I'm still the new kid on the block.
    I do not think a 30 mile stretch in the USA has been beat up more in the last 30 years then this area...Wilmington to north topsail beach. Its location...its a magnet.

14. CBG

CBG Well-Known Member

Jayster I think we are on different pages of the same book = so besides the wind ,the flying debris ,the lightning and the possible Tornado or three and oh yeah the possible flooding all is good, what was I thinking lol. Unless this storm takes a REAL HARD right turn and very soon I don't know how this busts ,I mean it might not make landfall and then again it could but looking at the radar it sure looks like it is going to at least scrape the shit out of the coast of NC and SC if not do worse. I know you forgot more than I know about this weather stuff so I will just leave it at --> be safe my brother.

15. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

All good in the hood....

Brook! likes this.
  16. The Waterboy

The Waterboy Well-Known Member

What'd you get there, a slight breeze? 30-40 mph?

Brook! likes this.
  17. jaywayne12

Just checked short term models...went to view latest recon. And I am wrong. This puppy may jump back to cat 3. I'm guessing after sitting and spinning in same spot ...it stirred cold waters. Now that it's on the move...it's getting back over Warner waters. Very little shearing. It wants to get it's act together. No way cat 4 ...but a jump to cat 3 is possible.
    Also...the time it sat stationary was around 12 hours longer than modeled allowing a break...and a real threat a bit closer to coast. If that's the case...anywhere from Southport NC to the Outer Banks can see landfall. I can't see how it will miss the Outer Banks now.

Brook! and CBG like this.
  18. CBG

CBG Well-Known Member

The storm did go back to a CAT 3 , lots of damage in Jays neck of the woods right now hopefully he posts later with an update and pics but more importantly he is ok. Multiple tornadoes and a shitload of damage / trees and power lines down in the Wilmington area / Jays neck of the woods ! Carolinas will have hundreds of thousands ( could it be as high as a million people when done ? Could be ) without power if not already this is one bad ass storm.

Brook! likes this.
  19. jaywayne12

Well...I'm half assing it after all...got a hotel room .5 miles from beach. Lol...come on...did you guys really believe this pussy would do it from his car?
    Still...I'm in a great spot. Will post videos and pics. For videos...what's a good upload site.
    Tornados have me a bit co cerned...the circulation above me is dual direction...its insane...several heavy bands have come through but a really bad band setting up in next half hour.
    Will update

Brook!, CBG and FJF like this.