Jay's House of Weather 'n Stuff

Discussion in 'BS Forum' started by jaywayne12, Dec 25, 2010.

1. wexy

wexy Member

Just a little bit of irony there. As least no one will have to drive to and from a game here.
    Everyone can be cozy at home.

2. ThunderbirdJet

ThunderbirdJet New Member

NEVER question th Jaywayne when it comes to winter storms. Just listen and react.

3. hiker

hiker Well-Known Member

Its snowing! Its snowing! Its snowing!

Sorry, I get like a little kid over it, every time. You know what's weird, though? I've also heard thunder twice in the last half hour or so. Thundersnow, now that's an unusual thing. I'm just happy to see the white stuff, winter storm warning in effect for me until 12am Monday, high temps tomorrow in the 20s. 2 to 6 inches for me, supposedly. 6-12 inches in Shelby, where my wife is staying with her family for a few more days (yes, its Christmas night, and I'm all alone in front of a computer. Well, damn) And 8-12 inches all up and down the NC coast. Makes me wish I were at the OBX now.

4. typeOnegative13NY

typeOnegative13NY Well-Known Member

only calling for 1-2 here on the sc coast,but i hope we get more.

5. MParty7441

MParty7441 Well-Known Member

On weather.gov for my area it says thunder is possible. I thought that was strange as well.

6. hiker

hiker Well-Known Member

Major winter storm barrels up East Coast

By KRISTIN M. HALL, Associated Press – 34 mins ago
    NASHVILLE, Tenn. – A winter storm that brought a rare white Christmas to parts of the South barreled up the East Coast on Saturday night, with forecasters predicting 6 to 10 inches of snow Sunday for Washington and blizzard conditions for New York City and the New Jersey shore.

Virginia and North Carolina declared states of emergency as crews tried to clear snowy and icy highways. Authorities in Mid-Atlantic states spent Christmas Day preparing for up to a foot of snowfall. And airlines began canceling flights in the Northeast corridor before the intensifying storm descended on the region.

The storm was already scrambling the plans of holiday travelers along the Eastern Seaboard. Motorists will be facing treacherous road conditions in many states Sunday with blowing snow and low visibility, and the snow is likely to strand many air travelers.

Continental Airlines canceled 250 departures from Newark Liberty International Airport outside New York City. United Airlines announced late Saturday that it had canceled 61 Sunday departures from Newark, Philadelphia, New York's LaGuardia and JFK, Boston, Bradley International in Connecticut, Providence, Albany International and Manchester Boston Regional Airport.

"Our concern is tomorrow it's going to get significantly colder," Virginia Gov. Bob McDonnell told The Weather Channel. "Winds with gusts up to 45 miles per hour will cause blowing snow and that's going to cause the worst of it ... and we're urging extreme caution in travel. Try to get home early and if you don't have to travel don't go."

As of late Saturday evening, the National Weather Service had issued winter weather warnings from north Georgia to southern New England. Winter weather watches were in effect for eastern Tennessee and Kentucky up to West Virginia.

A blizzard warning was issued for New York City for Sunday and Monday, with a forecast of 11 to 16 inches of snow and strong winds that will reduce visibility to near zero at times. As much as 18 inches could fall on the New Jersey shore. Heavy snow was also predicted for Philadelphia and Boston.

The Carolinas got their first white Christmas in decades as snow began falling Saturday morning in Asheville, N.C., spread to Raleigh by noon and was forecast to stretch to the coast later in the day.

The weather service had issued winter storm warnings earlier Saturday with forecasts calling for up to six inches of snow in central North Carolina with more in the mountains and less on the coast. In South Carolina, forecasts called for rain turning to snow after dark.

(It already has. Yay!)

It's the first Christmas snow for the Carolinas since 1989, when a foot fell along the coast. For Columbia, it's the first significant Christmas snow since weather records were first kept in 1887.

(Yeah, I figured it was kind of rare, but damn...)

In Asheville, the Weather Service said snow fell at the rate of about an inch an hour earlier in the day and mountain roads would be impassable for all but four-wheel drive vehicles. As much as 10 inches could fall by Sunday morning, which would break the previous Christmas Day record of 5.4 inches set in 1969.

North Carolina Lt. Gov. Walter Dalton declared a state of emergency Saturday.

The North Carolina Highway Patrol said most of the roads in and around Asheville were either covered or partially covered with snow and ice as of 6 p.m. Jarema said troopers in the two dozen westernmost counties answered 350 calls between 12:01 a.m. and 6 p.m. Saturday. Most of them were wrecks.

In the South Carolina Upstate, rain mixed with a light snow in the late afternoon, but it wasn't causing immediate road problems, said Highway Patrol Lance Cpl. Bill Rhyne.

#26 hiker, Dec 25, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 25, 2010
  7. jaywayne12

jaywayne12 Well-Known Member

thats the f'ed up things about models. Getting a particular storm to zero in on...tough stuff. But when you go long range models..no..you cant say you will get a storm on February 2...but they are very good at saying we are going into a drier warmer pattern.

If thats the case...and thats been said for about a month now..starting in January...January will have few if any storms and warmer than usual temps.

I follow your thought pattern....hope that makes sense.

8. jaywayne12

Thunder Snow is rare phenomenon. Hiker experienced it and I can remember the blizzard of 96 having that in north Jersey...snowing like a bastard and then the ski lights up even whiter...and boom..thunder...very rare...but happens.

It takes a bomb of a storm for that to happen and its bombing out in Hikers location as we speak.

9. jaywayne12

Latest forecast: North Jersey and Metro NY.

...BLIZZARD WARNING REMAINS IN EFFECT FROM SUNDAY INTO MONDAY...

* LOCATIONS...NORTHEAST NEW JERSEY...NEW YORK CITY...LONG ISLAND
    AND COASTAL SOUTHERN CONNECTICUT AS WELL AS ALL OF SOUTHEASTERN
    CONNECTICUT.

* HAZARDS...HEAVY SNOW AND STRONG WINDS...WITH CONSIDERABLE
    BLOWING AND DRIFTING OF SNOW WITH NEAR ZERO VISIBILITY AT
    TIMES.

* ACCUMULATIONS...11 TO 16 INCHES...WITH LOCALLY HIGHER AMOUNTS. SNOW
    MAY MIX WITH OR CHANGE TO RAIN AND SLEET AT THE HEIGHT OF THE
    STORM LATE SUNDAY NIGHT ACROSS EASTERN LONG ISLAND...AND
    POSSIBLY ACROSS COASTAL SOUTHEAST CONNECTICUT...WHICH COULD HOLD
    DOWN AMOUNTS THERE...BUT ONLY AFTER SIGNIFICANT ACCUMULATIONS
    HAVE ALREADY TAKEN PLACE.

* IMPACTS...EXTREMELY DANGEROUS TRAVEL CONDITIONS DEVELOPING
    SUNDAY AFTERNOON INTO THE EVENING DUE TO SIGNIFICANT SNOW
    ACCUMULATIONS...AND STRONG WINDS CAUSING CONSIDERABLE BLOWING
    AND DRIFTING OF SNOW. VISIBILITIES WILL BE NEAR ZERO AT
    TIMES...WITH WHITEOUT CONDITIONS EXPECTED. STRONG WINDS MAY ALSO
    DOWN SOME POWER LINES...TREE LIMBS...AND CHRISTMAS DECORATIONS.

* TIMING...LIGHT SNOW WILL BEGIN DURING SUNDAY MORNING...THEN
    BECOME HEAVY AT TIMES FROM SUNDAY AFTERNOON INTO MUCH OF SUNDAY
    NIGHT. LIGHT SNOWS WILL LIKELY LINGER INTO EARLY MONDAY MORNING.

* WINDS....DURING THE HEIGHT OF THE STORM SUNDAY NIGHT...NORTH
    WINDS WILL INCREASE TO 20 TO 35 MPH WITH GUSTS 40 TO 55 MPH
    LIKELY.

10. Drew

Drew Active Member

Fuuuuuuuuuck.

11. Section 336

Section 336 Well-Known Member

It is coming for those of you in the tri state
    Woke up here in NC to about 7 inches so far and it is supposed to keep snowing past noon.

12. blackssmagic

blackssmagic Well-Known Member

I cant wait to move back home but it has been snowing in Germany everyday since thanksgiving except for 5 days......

13. hiker

hiker Well-Known Member

Its so white outside, I looked to see if the road was covered...and I can't see the road. I live along a pretty busy stretch of highway, and I haven't seen a car all morning. Its kind of nice to have the peace and quiet. And its still just pouring snow, awesome!

14. pats-hater

pats-hater Active Member

Take pics hiker.

Snow makes for some incredible shots.

15. hiker

hiker Well-Known Member

You can make do with this, from a window with my Blackberry, I'm not dressed to go outside in this yet.

[​IMG]

Here's a good shot I took last year and made into an e-x-mas card. Nothing to do with this storm, but what the hell, its christmas.

[​IMG]

16. pats-hater

pats-hater Active Member

Good job.

The e card is really sweet.

17. BadgerOnLSD

BadgerOnLSD Banned

All I'm getting in Queens right now is a dusting.

Edit: a heavy dusting, if that's possible.

#37 BadgerOnLSD, Dec 26, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 26, 2010
  18. MParty7441

MParty7441 Well-Known Member

Snowing hard in southern Nassau.

19. jaywayne12

Yeah...the next 2 hours you will see the intensity pick up...by the end of the Jet game though...when you enter the hardest part which will last between 6-10 hours.

Snowing here in Wayne, NJ. Dusting on the road.

Not like the heavy dusting Badger is experiencing. What the hell is a heavy dusting?

20. jaywayne12