Jay's House of Weather 'n Stuff

Discussion in 'BS Forum' started by jaywayne12, Dec 25, 2010.

1. jaywayne12

jaywayne12 Well-Known Member

Thats a great question and a fault of mine. When I talk about NNJ Im talking about my backyard of course..wayne..passaic county...morris county..sussex county...northern bergen county. Hoboken to me would be nyc on the other side of the river and right now..you guys have been screwed out of snow. NYC is a MAJOR BUST..MAJOR...BUT Long Island or parts of it are not.

2. Murrell2878

Murrell2878 Lets go JETS!

This is insanity Jay!!

3. jaywayne12

I would guess if you go outside now..or in the next half hour..your precip is picking back up.

I would say for you...4-6 more at least..at least.

NNJ is filling in so fast..so fast..it was bone dry an hour ago. Ending will be tough because its kind of stalled down here and it will just wind itself out. So anywhere between 4 and 8?

4. jaywayne12

Yeah..Conn is going to have records broken all over the place. There is a huge band of red...red..entering Hartford on south in central Conn that is probably dumping 2 to 3 and some parts 4 inches an hour..no joke.

5. jaywayne12

Hey M..here is a great radar for you..just check out CONN. Check out the center of CT!!!

RADAR: http://www.accuweather.com/en/us/new-york-city-ny/weather-radar-r1h

HIT THE PLAY BUTTON

Have never seen a radar that color for snow..ever.

THAT CELL IS FINALLY STARTING TO FALL APART...but still has plenty of juice in it..friggin incredible.

6. Murrell2878

I was looking at the power outage map and it looks like the shoreline got hammered.

7. Murrell2878

Holy crap!!

It was so bad that when I was clearing my deck when I got to one side the other side needed to be cleared again. That's like 10-15 minutes!!

8. alleycat9

alleycat9 Well-Known Member

im in western ct and it isnt absolutely terrible out here. its snowing pretty hard, i would say maybe an inch or 2 an hour and the wind is creating drifts but roads are fairly passable and lights are on for the most part.

http://outage.cl-p.com/outage/outagemap.aspx

9. CBG

CBG Well-Known Member

had to go outside to walk the dog,,,,snowing pretty hard rite now,,,,shoveled my driveway,,lots of snow ,,,,,,will go back out for firewood in a little while and see whats doing

10. jaywayne12

Huge numbers for CT..huge. Mass too. This storm was always a CT...RI...MASS storm. That was a no brainer.

South of there was always a question mark and while some areas like my area will get close to a foot..or a foot..some spots in NJ, NYC and Eastern PA will bust in a huge huge way.

You have areas that were predicted by the NWS to get 12-18 and some will not get 6.

Passaic...Bergen...Morris...Warren..Sussex..and counties in central Jersey are actually about to get great bands of snow coming through over the next 4 hours. Some areas will get 4-6 with these bands.

Here you can see how NJ went from nothing...to filling in practically the entire northern half of the state..all the way down to Trenton and south from there.

RADAR: http://www.wunderground.com/radar/r...tning=0&smooth=0&showlabels=1&rainsnow=0&MR=1

11. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

The groaning, cracking and crashing started happening about 15 minutes ago. There are a bunch of large limbs down all over the place including one on my porch, although thankfully it is just lying across the porch at this point.

We took down several large trees this summer because we were worried about them and I'm glad we did because odds are one would be in my living room right now.

12. Br4d

If we're really getting 12 more hours of this I think it's going to change the landscape around here. I'd never have believed it could have that impact but we've got a lot of trees weakened by the big windstorm last week and I think we're going to see them coming down all over the place. The limb on my porch is covered in snow and ice and probably weighs more than double it's normal weight. Trees have to be groaning under this for a hundred miles east, west and north also.

13. jaywayne12

Im sorry Brad...where are you located?

14. Br4d

I'm in Waterford, just outside New London.

I was driving southwest of here in Fairfield county last week and I noticed that they had taken down a ton of trees by the reservoir along 58. That used to be an old pine forest with hundreds of trees and they basically took every other tree down. Smart planning on their part because this storm would have taken them down anyway.

15. jaywayne12

Holy crap..and I have to tell you..you still have a LONG ways to go with this storm..not sure about 12 hours but you have a minimum of 8..thats for sure.

Im kind of shocked right now. While spots are busting, the fill in on the radar is something I have never seen before in my life. Areas in NJ..even down the shore...are still going to get anywhere between 4-8 inches of more snow with this thing. Its just spinning and spawning bands of snow with no let up.

If this does continue until 4 or 5 am...a decent part of NJ will be from 8-14.

16. Br4d

They've got to bury the lines here. It's just a necessity at this point. We've had 2 years from hell with power outages based on high winds and storms and they can't stay with the status quo. Lyme, East Lyme, Old Lyme, Stonington and North Stonington are getting slammed again. Everybody else in the area is holding on at the moment with 25-35% outages. 12 more hours and we'll all be in the dark again for the fifth time in two years. Average duration of a week. That's not America. Electrical power isn't a privilege, it's a right.

17. jaywayne12

totally agree. the power outages in this part of the country have become a way of life..and it sucks. Really sucks. I remember a time when losing your power was an event. Now it happens 2 or 3 times a year. Over grown trees...its such an antiquated system..dont get me started.

18. Brook!

Brook! Soft Admin...2018 Friendliest Member Award Winner

Jay

As you know, I am living in Madison and we are close to Wayne. Can you tell me the totals in your area so far and your expectation about the total when it is all said and done? I am asking this because I also have some trees close t my home that scares me a little.

I am still waiting for the address by the way :)

19. jaywayne12

lol..I will send it to you Brook.

Madison, NJ right? Thats southwest of me. Well Wayne has 9" right now but looking at news 12..Wayne was one of the top numbers. I would guess around 6? But there is still more snow on the way..this thing isnt done yet. I would think Madison finishes with something around 8-9? At least.

20. Jake

Jake Well-Known Member

I'm going to keep u all infomed on exactly what we're dealing with up here in Oil Country. Mainly for u jaywayne. Let it be known.

Today, February 8th 2013, was 32 degrees Farenheit. Not too shabby for this time of year. Shit is melting, do I wash my car? Naw, I will wait til April!

Heard there was massive snow dump in the US. Update please? Thanks in advance, hope all is well, I know some ppl that could shovel your driveways!

#3060 Jake, Feb 8, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 8, 2013