Jay's House of Weather 'n Stuff

Discussion in 'BS Forum' started by jaywayne12, Dec 25, 2010.

1. jaywayne12

jaywayne12 Well-Known Member

Excellent point cman..and no..no idea other than blocking patterns etc...what you have with this storm is what is called a miller B.

Noreasters are classified as Miller A's and B's

Without boring you...A miller A storm forms in the south and turns up the coast as a single storm...it usually rides the coast and goes over what the geeks call the benchmark...40/70 mark out over the ocean (longitude/latitude) 40 north/70 west on map..when storms hit that mark or close to it..that is a signal for a major noreaster up and down the coast.

Bottom line is its a single storm.

A miller B..which this storm is..is a storm that starts out in the south and heads up to the ohio valley/great lakes region...as it gets to about Kentucky or around...a secondary low forms usually off the coast from NC to Jersey. Those storms like this one are very tricky because where they actually form IS HUGE. A bit more east over the ocean and the rain snow line follows suit...closer to the coast.

This storm is supposed to track just east of i 95...which is the reason for rain in NJ (which will start as snow) and snow in PA.

Now...Im still really up in the air with this storm because some models have trended with this storm basically riding the coast...a colder solution for lets say northwester NJ...more snow.

Boring...but thats it in a nutshell. Give me a cut and dry MILLER A storm anytime..much easier forecast.

Now there are a few models that do not transfer the storm to the coast but ride this as a single low from Kentucky to i 95..and then right up I95.

Very possible. Just that the lastet models have trended East with this storm and the further East it trends...the more snow as you get closer to the coast.

Most forecasts have the heavy snow/mix sleet rain line north of 287..north of rt80 then West of the Hudson Valley.

Not really buying that right now..but tonite around 1am..after I do my Santa thing...I will check to see if tonites models go further east..if they do..watch out.

Again..a little snow tonite to put everyone in the mood...potential Wednesday...big storm Saturday...big storm New Years day.

MERRY CHRISTMAS GUYS!! AND GIRLS!!! AND jonnnnY!!!!

2. CBG

CBG Well-Known Member

Merry Xmas jay and everyone else,,,I will look for the 1 a.m. Update

3. jonnyd

jonnyd 2007 TGG.com Funniest Poster Award Winner

It is snowing in Newtown as I type this. It looks nice

4. Satan

Satan Well-Known Member

Laying down the runway for the annual visitor :)

5. jaywayne12

Thanks CBG..AND TO ALL A VERY MERRY CHRISTMAS!!

Yeah..little snow tonite Jon...not much..but a quick update on the next 7 days.

The storm for Wednesday is a tough call..yes there will be a very large storm but who gets what. Right now it looks like NYC metro is on the rain side with a chance to start off as snow..but the more east you go the less likely.

West of 287 and north of 80..at that intersection..not north of 80 closer to the city..can get some snow..but will probably change over to sleet/rain.

NJ/PA border could start out as snow but end up with a pretty big ice storm...again..the border part north of 80.

Central/northern PA on west...running up to central ny state...western New England..away form the coast gets the money...over a foot.

Now..all eyes turn to this weekend where there is a real shot for most if not all at a major snow storm. MAJOR snow storm..easily over a foot for many. Thats the storm will be following the next couple days but this could be a huge storm with blizzard conditions for many.

Then another big storm the middle of next week...and then a few more over the next 3 weeks. Very busy time.

6. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

White Christmas here in York PA. It`s really pretty this morning.

7. CBG

CBG Well-Known Member

CMAN ,,, it is white here also----not alot but everything is covered,,,very cool
    Merry Xmas everyone

8. CBG

CBG Well-Known Member

Hey Jay i realize it is way too early for you as you are part vampire and usually post in the wee hours of the morning but,,,,,,,,Any update ?

9. jaywayne12

Hah...yes...a ton of vampire...Im not big on sleep.

CBG...this is a weird storm to call but heres what I will say...mix mix mix. Its such a close call that here in Wayne? We might get a front thump of about 2-4 inches before a changeover..but does it change quickly through the cycle of...snow...sleet...freezing rain...rain? Or does it get stuck for awhile in between? Somewhere in OUR parts of NNJ it will get stuck and you will end up with a pretty bad ice storm.

The more west you go...the more snow.

Cman will probably see a quick changeover to ice/ then rain because this is not a west to east changeover but more a south to north. Although his area is further west..its much more south.

Now...there are some in the industry that believe this storm will dump 6-12 inches in parts of NW Jersey...and quite honestly..after looking at the models just now...I can see that happening too.

This is your typical NOW CAST..meaning...when the storm kicks in..you watch the rain/snow/sleet/freezing rain line..and just follow its movement and where it gets stuck.

Thats what I will be doing all afternoon and evening tomorrow. Will be online all evening!

10. CBG

CBG Well-Known Member

Jay just watched the local guys and looks as if they are not sure what will go on and for how long. That heavy snow line was close by,,,,,,,I guess we will see how this goes once the storm begins,,,,,not sure if I should get the snow blower ready or the generator,,,,looks like I / we might need both, keep us posted and be safe all

11. Jetfanmack

Jetfanmack haz chilens?

Crap, I have to drive from NJ to Charlotte this weekend. Was really hoping to do it Saturday, leaving around 1:00, but unless this storm is a total bust, I may have to leave Friday now..

12. jaywayne12

Now that storm on the models is a possible near miss out to sea..ON SOME MODELS..so we might get away with it..but the earlier Saturday the better..still believe something will happen along the coast.

NOW FOR THE BAD NEWS. Just checked the latest models with THIS storm and man oh man...Im not sure the local weather guys have this one right. I really believe they are downplaying the strength of the precip..which means they are getting the temps wrong. Very strong storms tend to make their own cold air.

In a nutshell? I believe by Wednesday night..when the storm starts to wind down..yeah..it might be rain...but before then many..MANY will get a huge dump of front end snow in North Jersey lower NY state and Northern Eastern PA.

Would not surprise me if people who are being told 2-4 end up with 6-12 inches of snow. That would be Western Passaic County...Warren County...Western Morris..or perhaps those counties in their entirety. And if wrong about that..it will be because those areas change over to sleet and stay there for hours..which would keep amounts lower..but a real ice mess. Just not buying these areas changing over to rain after a couple of hours.

Will be on tomorrow to see if that plays out.

#2592 jaywayne12, Dec 26, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 26, 2012
  13. CBG

CBG Well-Known Member

Jay thanks for the update ,,,now get some sleep lol. Yes it looks like that heavy snow line is all over the place depending on which local guy you watch. That said it is very close and I know that this thing moves a little this way or that way and it all changes. Also if what u say is true / does happen about the cold air getting pulled in then all bets are off,,,,,,,,they say rockland gets 1 to 3 or 2 to 4 inches of snow ,,,hmmmmmmmm the heavy line / cold air is close,,,,will tell u guys later n Thursday how that is working out,,,be safe all

14. jaywayne12

Hey cbg...I will say this. Many areas north of rt 80..or even west of i95..the forecasters are going to have egg on their face. This storm is going to fool many and leave some that thought 1-4 inches of front end snow with closer than a foot of snow. I just listened to WCBS weather and the woman said possibly 2-4 inches in north jersey...nope..that aint happening. Places in North Jersey will get close to a foot.

Again..its more of a north south thing.

15. CBG

CBG Well-Known Member

Jay,,,what can I expect,,,,,? Nw new jersey / rockland ? I mean they hedged this morning a little but said nada except to expect as I said 2 to 4 max,,,,,north of 287,,,,,,any input ? Ps no snow yet what time will it begin ,,,,,,,be safe all

16. jaywayne12

I really believe you will be at around 6-8 AT LEAST before the sleet changeover...and honestly...I think on the high side. This quick changeover is not going to happen.

Will have more updates around 5 or before...but this is going to bust real high on media predictions.

17. jaywayne12

In fact..checking radar...the real heavy snow is only about an hour away..and that push could dump around 5 inches in less than 3 hours.

18. Drew

Drew Active Member

A little bit of sleet here in Brooklyn... news doesn't make it sound like we'll get much.

What say you, Jay?

19. CBG

CBG Well-Known Member

Thanks Jay,,,,started snowing about. 15 minutes ago,,,stuck emmediately,,,and is now coming down at a good clip I would say moderate,,,,ps sticking everywhere not just on grass,,,,,,,,generator is ready if needed,,,,,sno blower has gas,,,,,now we wait n see,,,,,keep posting guys and u also Count Dracula ,,,I mean Jay :rofl:

20. jaywayne12

Yeah Drew..brooklyn would be tough to get mostly snow...i think the sleet will stick around for a couple hours before you get freezing rain and then quickly rain. Tough spot.