Jay Glazer: Rex Believes He's Fired

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by DMarsh6, Dec 22, 2013.

1. Endlessly Counting

Endlessly Counting Well-Known Member

Time will tell if Idzik has been "saddled" with Rex.
    I can't say that has been the case this year

2. NYJFan10

NYJFan10 Well-Known Member

What do captains really do during a game anyway? Besides go out for the coin toss. This isn't like being a captain in the NHL where you have actual responsibilities (off-ice stuff, talking to the refs during games). Rex made freaking Zach Sudfeld a captain for the Patriots game, it's ceremonial.

3. 3rdAnd15Draw

3rdAnd15Draw Well-Known Member

Whether or not Idzik is proven to be a good GM he should be given the opportunity to build a team his way, not forced to swallow a HC he doesn't want.

4. Endlessly Counting

Idzik took the job with full knowledge that Rex would be the HC
    And what evidence is there that Idzik didn't want him, then or now?

And, if Rex gets fired, how has keeping him here this season set the Jets back?

5. 3rdAnd15Draw

It's been obvious from day 1 that Rex and Idzik were not on the same page, how could they be? One guy is coaching for his job and the other is trying to build a team. From a cover your ass standpoint it wasn't a bad situation for Idzik but I'm sure he would've preferred to pick his own coach.

If Rex gets fired I don't know that I would say that keeping him this season set the Jets back but it makes absolutely no sense, since there was no chance of the Jets going anywhere this year, so why keep Rex for another year rather than letting the new GM pick his coach like every other team in the league does? Although you can certainly look at stuff like the Reed situation with Rex taking reps away from younger players and say decisions like that could hamper roster development.

6. Endlessly Counting

Examples of this ?

7. 74

74 Well-Known Member

I keep seeing this being mentioned and its overlooking something important. The young guys are basically being mentored right now. They are getting to see how a hall of famer at their position, one of the best ever, prepares for the game. I think there's value in that.

8. 3rdAnd15Draw

Watch any press conference since Idzik was hired and Rex was trotted out there like some eunuch and compare that to how he behaved the previous years. If you have to ask questions that are so patently obvious to anyone paying attention to the team I don't think there's much point in continuing the discussion.

9. Endlessly Counting

It would seem to me that if Rex toned down his act at Idzik's request, then that is actually proof that they are exactly on the same page

10. Jeti

Jeti Well-Known Member

Jets line up their needs and evaluate the prospects as such and then pick BPA and then you take the absolute studs and add them in and you get your board

which is why Richardson was there because he was that good

this year I'm assuming the board will be field with offensive skill players, safeties and pass rushers

and maybe a few QBs

11. 3rdAnd15Draw

If he wasn't complete garbage on the field I might agree, it was obviously his physical ability and talent that made him a great player, not his preparation. I don't know how you could even attempt to argue that watching Ed Reed stretch before the games is more important to a young player than actual game experience.

12. Jeti

Jeti Well-Known Member

it helps them not just on Sunday

you got installs, film study, game prep and countless other things that will help this young guys and if Reed comes back next year with Rex an entire off-season will help even more

13. 3rdAnd15Draw

then hire him as a coach. the guy can't play and it's ridiculous Rex keeps trotting him out there.

14. Milliner is your Mommy

Milliner is your Mommy Well-Known Member

I want Rex to stay but I won't be surprised in the slightest to see him fired. Idzik has no problem making unpopular decisions if he thinks it will help the team in the end.

Theres times where teams need to fire the coach for the sake of firing him. I dont think this is the case with Rex. If Idzik really wants someone for the job and knows he will take it then I have no problem with him pulling the trigger.

I do hope thats not the case and Rex comes back and earns an extension next season.

15. #28Martin

#28Martin Well-Known Member

Rex is as good as gone and it's absolute BS. Team has almost no offensive talent, he might win 8 games with this team? He should get a lifetime extension for that. It's a total joke.

16. Milliner is your Mommy

Milliner is your Mommy Well-Known Member

We're definitely overachieving thats for sure. I think MM has helped get the most out of our little talent on O as well so i do give him credit. If we had 1 legitimate top 20 receiver and Kerley stayed healthy the whole season we are probably playing for a playoff spot next week.

17. #28Martin

#28Martin Well-Known Member

And if he indeed does get fired, after this season, then keeping him this season was a complete farce by Idzik and Jets management.

18. SienaSaints

SienaSaints Well-Known Member

Keep Rex. Despite his shortcomings his team has played well this year with little talent on offense. Would like to see what he does with better talent.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 2

19. Jeti

Jeti Well-Known Member

Anyone who wants Rex fired, who should we hire in his place

20. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Please. I'm not some dumb kid. I totally understand how BPA works, but adhering to any philosophy blindly is stupid and counterproductive. The purpose of the draft is to add talent that can help the team. Another DL would not help the team. There are only so many snaps. You gonna take Wilk, Big Snacks or Richardson off the field to play someone else? The #1 pick has to go to a projected starter, not a backup. Need has to be taken into account at some point. If one blindly adhered to a BPA philosophy, one could go 10 years and not draft a QB when one desperately needs a QB or a pass rushing OLB when one desperately needs a pass rushing OLB. Taking 6 DTs and 4 CBs during that 10-year stretch would be stupid. It's not likely that that is how the draft would fall all those years, but it's possible if one blindly adhered to BPA.

Some positions are more important than others (QB, LT, pass rusher, #1 WR). And with some teams a certain weighting takes place depending upon the philosophy of the GM & CS. If the top-rated player on their board is a DE with a score of 9.2, but there is a #1 WR prospect with a 9.0, they could take the WR instead because #1 WRs are more important than DEs, and the weighting by importance could give the edge to the WR.

Also, some teams may not have a weighting system, but often several players will have grades within a fraction of a point of each other. In such a scenario, even though a DL might have a grade of 9.82, a WR might have a grade of 9.81 and a FS might have a grade 9.80, you don't have to take the DL. Since the grades are relatively equal, one could draft any of the three players, and it's not really a reach.

One also has the option of trying to trade down, garner an additional pick or picks and still getting great value and taking the BPA (within reason) at that spot.