Jay Glazer: Rex Believes He's Fired

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by DMarsh6, Dec 22, 2013.

1. JetsNation06

JetsNation06 Well-Known Member

So because Rex says that he like his playmakers you now take that as gospel that the Jets offense has good playmakers? You are in the severe minority who think that. This offense if putrid and is in dire need of playmakers to upgrade it. This is well known in all NFL circles.

"7-8 and one of the most turnover prone QB's in the league and one of the most anemic offenses in the NFL!" - Guess who? The Jets.

2. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Sorry, I totally agree with this post. Idzik didn't give Rex the worse roster in the league. For the most part, this is the roster that Tanny and Rex built. Idzik's hands were tied this past offseason. He had the draft picks and very little cap space to do anything. To say otherwise is just flat out ignorant and wrong.

I don't think it matters one whit what the media hacks or others predict the team's record to be. Unless Woody is more clueless than I think, he knows what the team's record was last year, the cap problems they had and that the Jets didn't have a viable alternative to Geno at QB. Idzik could get some flak for signing Garrard rather than some other vet, but that's about it imo.

I don't think Rex gets another HC job immediately. He may not ever get another one. If he does get one, and succeeds, it will be with a team who already has the talent in place and has a disciplinarian-type HC. Players Coaches almost always enjoy the first 1-2 years of their tenure and get excellent results as the "bump" in players celebrating being free of a repressive disciplinarian and having more freedom. After that first year or two, things start unraveling pretty quickly. If Rex does go elsewhere and doesn't win within the first year or two, I don't think he ever will.

If Idzik fires Rex and hires a new HC and that HC doesn't pan out, Idzik's job is probably in trouble regardless of what Rex does elsewhere. Even if he does win elsewhere, it doesn't mean he would have won here. Conversely, if Woody gives Idzik free rein and Idzik gives Rex another year, and the results are the same, then Idzik's job could very well be in jeopary and might lead to his never getting another GM job. IMO, letting Rex serve out his contract is the least likely option. No one does that as it signifies that the HC is a lame duck. I seriously doubt Rex would want to do that. He'd probably just ask to be released from the last year of the deal/resign.

3. NCJetsfan

BS. I've never listened to that fat moron. I want Rex because I think he deserves it. I liked him when he was first hired, but he's done more than enough to deserve firing imo, and shown very little growth/improvement in his work.

4. NCJetsfan

Excellent point. Those kinds of things almost always leak to the media. If Rex genuinely thought it wouldn't, then he's dumber than I thought.

5. NCJetsfan

If he doesn't really believe that he's gonna be fired, then said that, it was a low and stupid thing to do and will backfire. He will lose respect of many of the players, and it could be a breaking point that would cause Woody to actually fire Rex. You just don't do that regardless.

6. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

09-12-2013, 09:23 PM #769
    JetsNation06
    Totally Addicted

vCash: 25 Default

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I like what I see out of our high rookie draft picks. Geno and Milliner, Playmakers!!

Bwaaahahaha!!!

7. NCJetsfan

Comparing Rex with Landry and Knoll is ridiculous. You're better than that! Rex isn't a scab on Landry's ass as a HC.

8. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

The best situation for Idzik, in my opinion, is to have Rex coach next year and then act on what happens then. If the team is down again, well it is easy to fire Rex at that point and Idzik gets to pick a coach plus he is a year further into the rebuild.

If the team is up, well that's the best situation of all because Idzik and Rex will have gotten the team back on their feet after a 1 year rebuilding year in which the Jets weren't actually that bad, in no small part because in the games when Geno was good he was good enough to win and Chris Ivory added a factor the Jets have not had since Freeman McNeil retired with bursts of speed and power and chunk yardage off of that.

9. BeastBeach

BeastBeach Banned

So give him a 1 year extension? Does that ever happen? Serious question

10. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

With the Browns win, the Jets improve to 7-8. Better than 2012's record with a rebuilding, younger team. I don't know what else the Jets Organization could have wanted from Rex. This was a successful year, I would say.

11. NCJetsfan

Excellent post. The reason almost none of the Jets' first time HCs were good is because the Jets had a clueless owner who in turn hired clueless GMs, who in turn hired inept HCs and scouting personnel. It's completely laughable that any knowledgeable football who is older than 18 and seen more than a season or two of football would make a statement like the "defense will fall apart" or there are no good HC candidates or DCs available.

12. JetsNation06

JetsNation06 Well-Known Member

What are you like 10 years old? You can't refute my point about our offense so you have to resort to my post history? lol And way to take completely out of context and distort what I said. I believe I made that comment in a game thread. Just because I said I liked how they were playing during ONE part of ONE game you try to take this and misrepresent it. That has very little to do with how I feel about their overall games. Geno is a work in progress and had a bad year. Again, their offense was putrid this year under Rex and not sure how you can refute that.

13. Joe Willie White Shoes

Joe Willie White Shoes Well-Known Member

If you are going to give Ryan credit for the draft picks on the defensive side of the ball, doesn't he deserve blame for the whiffs on offense?

14. NotSatoshiNakamoto

This years draft is going to do a lot to shape the future of the franchise for better or worse. Do we want Rex around influecning those picks if he's not a part of the long term future?

I know he's not the be all end all but surely the head coach's wants/needs are going into every NFL teams personnel decisions including the draft. I think Rex's personality might make him a little more influential then other coaches too, but that's just a hunch.

Wouldn't it be best for Idzik, if he has someone in mind, to get him in here ASAP to start manipulating the team for him instead of someone else. I think Idzik also runs the risk of losing out on someone he may want if he decides keeping Rex for one more year is the safe path.

15. NCJetsfan

We had a hard time getting a GM to come here precisely because Woody wouldn't allow the new GM to fire Rex. With a young, rebuilding team, with a lot of defensive talent in the nations' media capital, a lot of first-time HCs would jump at the opportunity to come here, and maybe even some of the guys who have been HCs before.

16. slimjasi

slimjasi Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

17. Endlessly Counting

Endlessly Counting Well-Known Member

Not comparing them at all

Just pointing out that despite the OP's point that in recent years coaches win
    the SB within their first 5 years, two of the greatest coaches of all time
    didn't fit that bill (and following up on Br4dw4y Sux's point that Weeb coached for 6 years before getting the SB for us)

BTW Landry had a losing record after 5 years, then had to battle about six years of "Can't win the big one".

18. NCJetsfan

Why did Sanchez turn into a bust? Could it possibly be due in large part to the way he was mishandled by the HC and his CS? Rex didn't Schotty, but I didn't see him campaigning to get rid of him, either. He also hired Sparano.

Rex is supposed to be the HC, NOT the DC. What is so hard to see about that? I don't understand you guys at all. The HC is responsible for the whole team not just one unit.

I also disagree that the D is built. The DL is built. That's it. If Millner develops, then 1/4-1/3 of the Jets CB corps is built. I think every one of the backups CBs is a FA in 2014 and there's no guarantees that any of them will be back. Cro quite possibly will be gone, and Wilson is a nickel back. The only S on the roster worth keeping is Allen, and he possibly should only be a backup. I haven't seen enough from him to say that he's the answer at SS. Demario Davis is the only LB that is a potential long-term keeper.

If Rex is part of the problem with the offense (and every indication is that he is), then what good will it do for Idzik to bring in great talent only to see Rex hinder if not squelch its development with his passive, ultra-conservative approach offensively?

19. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

How much influence would Rex have in selecting players working on a 1 year extension?

I don't think it's in Idzik's best interests to shortcut the Rex process. He's demonstrated the ability to work with Rex this year in ways that I think will ultimately benefit the franchise. Giving it one more year couldn't hurt.

Rex is never going 3-13. Period. Handing a better roster to his new coach after next season if things don't take a major upswing decreases the chances of a catastrophic hire based on both talent and coaching issues.

One thing to remember about this year is that Rex can't say he wasn't given the things he prizes most. He got a best effort at fixing the offensive line. He got not one but two hires aimed at giving him a strong rushing attack in Ivory and Goodson. He got Milliner with the Jets 1st round pick plus a strong interior defensive lineman with the other one to replace DeVito and Pouha. He got to keep Cromartie for the year when another incoming GM might easily have tried to maximize the Jets talent by trading Cromartie off of his career year.

Obviously the talent pool was in decline for the season because of the necessary departures but Idzik did what he could to give Rex the pieces he felt he needed for his game plan to be successful. That is probably why the Jets are 7-8 right now instead of 5-10.

#219 Br4d, Dec 22, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 22, 2013
  20. PolygamyWinsChampionships

PolygamyWinsChampionships Well-Known Member

Holy shit I didn't realize we needed 4 top CB's on the field at once, thanks for the lesson. Not like Kyle Wilson is a good nickel if not a marginal #2, Walls, Chopped liver. Let's also put Harris out to pasture coming off one of his best years ever. Barnes won't recover and contribute next year. Blahblahblah. One safety with tons of picks away from being dominant, sooooo unlikely. Yeah.

Rex was quoted being against Hill early on, when myself and others including GM were on board. Sanchez, obviously a GM pick. You want to nitpick some mid-late rounders? What difference does it make. If the new GM is worth his paycheck, he finds the players on offense and Rex does his thing on the other side of the ball. Very few HC's manage all the picks on both sides of the ball, criticizing Rex's weak side is nonsense. A strong GM should pick up the slack and put together a strong offensive draft+FA to field a strong team. Let the chips fall where they may from there and the rest is bullshit.