JARVIS JONES or MANTI TE'O, the only Defensive choices in Rd 1

Discussion in 'Draft' started by WW85, Nov 5, 2012.

1. Jay Bizniss

Jay Bizniss Well-Known Member

If Teo falls to #9 you have to take him... He will be drafted top 5 so there is no chance we snag him...

2. AnyGivenSunday

AnyGivenSunday Active Member

Exactly..the argument against Te'o is that Harris is already there. but Te'o is the kind of guy you draft and worry about making it work after.

3. WW85

WW85 MOCKERATOR

You don't pass up players that dominate their position, a player like Te'o doesn't come along too often.

Our Linebacker group is losing 3 starters this year.

4. Dom

Dom Well-Known Member

is it possible to move manti or demario to outside backer?

also with bart scott basically leaving, whats the problem with drafting manti? as weird as it sounds, this dudes intangibles will be more valuable than his talent in the long run, kinda like ray lewis. we really have no leaders

5. WW85

WW85 MOCKERATOR

Davis could move outside, but I think Rex would prefer a bigger body on the outside.

Te'o could play anywhere, but is much better suited inside.

This all moot since T'eo will be long gone before our 9th pick.

6. BronxJet

BronxJet Banned

Manti Te'o is not Ray Lewis. The man crush on the guy is incredible.
    Too many holes on this team for luxury picks. Manti is a luxury pick.

7. Dom

Dom Well-Known Member

i should of been more specific. i wasnt comparing manti to ray lewis talent wise, but maybe his leadership is the same. idk how to explain it, they lead differently, but both are extreme leaders. thats important for this team, which is currently a shit show

8. S.HOLMES.10

S.HOLMES.10 Member

Te'o is a luxury pick besides, he will never drop to 9.

9. WW85

WW85 MOCKERATOR

You don't have a clue, Te'o is an incredible player.

Study College football and you wouldn't be so ignorant.

Ray Lewis was drafted toward the end of Rd 1 over 15 years ago, if he was so good than he would have been the 1st player taken in your mind.

10. cromartiecove31

cromartiecove31 New Member

Yeah we need more good human beings and good football players, have no problem with them taking T'eo if available

11. Brunell's Debt

Brunell's Debt New Member

I saw about half of Notre Dame's games this season, and I was very impressed with Te'o. He's a great player, no doubt.

That doesn't mean that a team with so many holes should spend a top-10 pick on a middle linebacker -- a position that we're pretty well set at, and one of the easiest positions to find a replacement level player.

12. WW85

WW85 MOCKERATOR

We can agree to disagree, I've been follow ing the draft for many years, too many to count, and players like Te'o don't come around too often.

You take the BPA and Te'o will be the BPA on a lot of NFL team's boards.

Good teams draft the BPA and don't reach. Also, a non-need now is a big need in the near future.

It doesn't matter, Te'o will be a top 5 pick at worst.

13. BronxJet

BronxJet Banned

You say I don't have a clue, I'm ignorant, etc. All because I questioned drafting your man crush. You're so emotionally invested in this guy that your opinion on the matter is virtually worthless.

We have serviceable winter boots, but no coat. You want to draft nicer winter boots while your upper body freezes. No thanks.

14. Dom

Dom Well-Known Member

i don't think its 100% confirmed that manti is a top 5 pick. its happened before where people have fallen down draft boards. (i.e brady quinn, aaron rodgers)

15. TheCoolerGlennFoley

TheCoolerGlennFoley Well-Known Member

I think if Gamble is hired, having seen what Willis and Bowman are doing in San Fran, there's a very good chance he wouldn't pass on Teo.

16. WW85

WW85 MOCKERATOR

I have no man crush...hahah.

"My opinion is worthless"....again you have no idea what you're talking about.

You have no clue of my background and how much I study College football.

If you're are going to post in this Draft forum with a solid argument and support it, I will respect you. even if I disagree.

I wish you would support your POV that Te'o isn't a top player in this draft and if available the Jets should take him.

17. BronxJet

BronxJet Banned

Some players succeed because of their instincts, work ethic and intangibles.

Other players succeed because of their physical talent.

Both types of players can be good, but the very best are those who posses both qualities.

Te'o is a good leader with plenty of intangibles, but he has good physical gifts not elite ones. I wouldn't be surprised at all if our very own Demario Davis has a better combine than Te'o. I think he will have a good career and be good in the locker room, but not an all world guy that can't be passed up for a bigger need.
    I think he is a poor match for our 3-4 hybrid scheme and not head and shoulders above the top OLB.

Ultimately, I consider him a luxury pick we can not afford that.

18. WW85

WW85 MOCKERATOR

The Combine #s will have nothing to do with Te'o's game.

Te'o is a GREAT leader, and his instincts, the most important aspect of playing MLB are the best ever. You can build your defense around a player like Te'o

Te'o would be a fine fit in the middle of our 3-4 defense.

Like I said in earlier posts, Te'o won't be available at #9, so it's a waste to debate. If he was available, you take the BPA and it addresses a need, maybe not in your eyes.

19. Dom

Dom Well-Known Member

WW85, i look at some college film, but not nearly as much as you. The only knack ive heard on manti is that he's too slow, what do you think about that? i know he's had his 7 interceptions or whatever, but still. like let's say we push him to olb, does he have the speed to play there and rush the passer when asked?

20. WW85

WW85 MOCKERATOR

Manti' isn't the fastest Football player, he's not turtle slow either. Manti makes up for not being fast with his instincts to read and react to a play.

He can make all the plays sideline to sideline.