Jarrett Stidham 2017 Games Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Draft' started by legler82, Nov 26, 2017.

1. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Just a quick question Legler, does Stidham somewhat "dip" his shoulder too low when throwing the ball here? He might have to tighten that up a little bit, you don't want to see him get hurt in the NFL in-case an edge rusher comes around the outside. Obviously not a glaring red flag, but you just want to ensure he protects himself here.

2. legler82

legler82 Well-Known Member

Yes, he does routinely. It hasn't hurt him yet but it's a bad habit he has.

3. 101GangGreen101

Well crap, if that's his only bad habit, I think you got yourself a very good QB.

4. The Waterboy

The Waterboy Well-Known Member

Cap hit is the same whether they release him or trade him, pre June 1st would be a $12.4 M cap hit in 2018 whether trade or released, post June 1st would be $6.2M in 2018 and $6.2M in 2019 whether trade or released. But he also has a $5M roster bonus due 3rd day of league year so something will likely get done before then if they are going to.

101GangGreen101 likes this.
  5. GreenGreek

GreenGreek Well-Known Member

Rivers has had a long, great career with a goofy throwing motion. As long as he makes the right reads & gets the ball where it needs to be on time, he can throw it underhand if that's what works.

grkmanga31 likes this.
  6. 101GangGreen101

Trade could very well happen then depending on the time, the Giants would need to keep most of that $ on their cap right? I guess on a lesser degree our Revis situation.

7. The Waterboy

The Waterboy Well-Known Member

If they are going to move him my guess would be it's done before end of day on March 16th. Then again if it is a trade the $5M roster bonus is on the team acquiring him so they could possibly wait and pay that $5M to make it easier to trade him, which also gives them a little more time to decide their next QB move.

Trade or release before 3/16/18 $12.4M cap hit
    Trade or release after 3/16 but before 6/1 $17.4M cap hit
    Trade or release after 6/1 $11.2M cap hit 2018 and $6.2M cap hit 2019

Of course they could do the trade or release prior to 6/1 but designate it as a 6/1 move

101GangGreen101 likes this.
  8. legler82

http://www.espn.com/blog/sec/post/_...ion-for-jarrett-stidham-and-auburn-timing-was

Talent wasn't the question for Jarrett Stidham and Auburn, timing was

9:00 AM ET
    • Alex ScarboroughESPN Staff Writer
    AUBURN, Ala. -- Gus Malzahn tried to tell us. Back before the start of the season, he sat in his office, folded his arms and warned not to expect too much from Jarrett Stidham. He’d named him Auburn’s starting quarterback only three days earlier, and he wasn’t in the mood for engaging in a discussion about his chances of winning the Heisman Trophy.

Was Stidham talented enough to play at that level? Of course, Malzahn said. There was no denying that. Besides, even if he tried, there were too many inflammatory quotes out there to refute him; for example, former Baylor coach Art Briles called Stidham the best young QB he’d ever been around.

“But you know what we have to keep in mind?” Malzahn asked rhetorically back on that warm August day. “He has about only four games of experience in college. So there are going to be growing pains.”

No one wanted to hear it at the time. Here was Stidham, a tall, athletic, downright strapping young quarterback from Texas who had flashed superstar potential as a freshman at Baylor before deciding to transfer, and expectations were through the roof. The redshirt sophomore had 20-to-1 odds to win the Heisman. He was the savior of Auburn football right up until the moment he wasn’t.

On Sept. 9, the world came crashing down around Jarrett Stidham. And by the world, we mean Clemson’s freakishly athletic defensive line, which sacked him 11 times during a 14-6 loss at Death Valley. Stidham managed just 79 yards on 24 pass attempts, threw no touchdowns and rushed for -42 yards.

If Malzahn weren’t so busy defending his job performance at the time he might have said, "I told you so."

But as it were, he’d have to wait until much later -- after that disaster of a loss at LSU, and after Auburn went from the two-loss trash bin to the hottest team in college football by running off five straight wins, including two over No. 1-ranked teams.

While no one is going to confuse him with Nick Marshall or Cam Newton, he’s doing just enough in the running game to keep defenses honest and pick up yards of his own. Against Alabama, his 51 yards rushing were crucial, including a 16-yard touchdown run in which the defense was caught totally unprepared for him to keep it on the zone-read.

Watching him make plays with his arm and his feet, it felt like the Auburn of old, the high-flying Gus Malzahn offense that took the SEC by storm when he was coordinator back in 2010 and then again during his first year as head coach in 2013.

It’s not hyperbole to say that Stidham’s emergence re-energized a stagnant Auburn offense and saved its head coach’s job. As Malzahn told his team after beating Alabama, “Five weeks ago, everybody put us under, six feet under. ... We’re going to the SEC championship, and the best is yet to come!”

A giddy Chandler Cox said after the game that Stidham’s running opened up the offense “like crazy.”

“The quarterback he is, the person he is, I knew we could come out and beat Bama and beat Georgia,” the veteran fullback said. “He put us on his shoulders and led us to victory.”

It may have been too late for the Heisman race, but it was better late than never for Auburn’s sake.

Malzahn isn’t holding back on his quarterback anymore, telling reporters now that, “He can make every throw” and “go hash-to-hash, sideline-to-sideline.”

“He’s a very, very talented young man,” Malzahn said, “and now that he’s running the football some it’s really opened up other things. He’s playing at a high level at quarterback. And that’s what you have to do.

“If you have a chance to win a championship in our league, your quarterback has to play at a high level, and he’s done that so far.”

On Saturday, Stidham will lead No. 2 Auburn against No. 6 Georgia for the SEC title and a shot at reaching the College Football Playoff.

The last time these two teams played four weeks ago, Stidham threw three touchdowns and no interceptions during a lopsided 40-17 win in Jordan-Hare Stadium. But this time around he’ll be at a neutral site in Atlanta and he could be without Kerryon Johnson as the All-America candidate at running back is nursing a sore shoulder.

Two months ago, that would have been a nightmare scenario. Now, with Stidham and the Auburn offense at their peak, it might not be so bad.

The growing pains are over and expectations couldn’t be any higher.

Brook! and 101GangGreen101 like this.
  9. Brook!

Brook! Soft Admin...2018 Friendliest Member Award Winner

@legler82

Can you rank this year's prospects and include following QB's like below?

Darnold (Best Prospect)
    Rosen (Second Best Prospect)
    Allen (2nd Rd Talent)
    Mayfield (Mid 1st Rd Talent)
    Stidham (Top of the 2nd Rd)
    Falk
    Jackson
    Rudolph

I am just making it up. I value your opinion so I will watch these names this weekend based on your rankings.

10. legler82

Here you go. Note I just want the top 2.

1. Rosen
    2. Stidham
    3. Darnold
    4. Jackson
    5. Falk
    6. Allen
    7. Rudolph
    8. Mayfield

ColoradoContrails and Brook! like this.
  11. Brook!

Brook! Soft Admin...2018 Friendliest Member Award Winner

Why not Darnold though? Also please compare Rosen-Stidham duo to Wentz and Mahomes who you liked well before anybody was aware of them. You are my QB guru. I trust only a few and you are on of them.

12. legler82

Darnold's game reminds too much of Ryan Fitzpatrick. While he may be more Fitzmagic than Fitztragic, the similarity in their games is too much for me to bear. Plus USC's talent tends to make their QBs look a little better than they are.

With regards to Rosen-Stidham compared to Wentz-Mahomes, I actually prefer the latter duo more than the former. Without going into too many specific Wentz and Mahomes brought more to the table. Rosen and Stidham are just the best options in this class.

Brook! likes this.
  13. legler82

Was out Christmas shopping with the fam all day, so I didn't get to see the whole game. I only saw some of the end of the third going into the beginning of the 4th through a store window. It seems that's when everything fell apart. From the little bit I saw it seems as though the pressure from Georgia and the moment got to him. I saw him short arm a couple of throws. I can't lie, I was kind of hoping he laid an egg so it could slow or stop his climb up the draft boards.

The offense as a whole looked as it did in the 2nd half of the LSU game. Malzahn's offense just seem incapable of adjustments. I said it before and I say it again, he needs to leave that offense ASAP. I was sold on Stidham just from the Baylor tape. Say what you will about prospects coming from an "Air Raid" style of O, at least, they get to throw the ball a ton and don't look so out of sync when forced to air it out.

14. 101GangGreen101

Auburn offense did not show up last night. I thought under the conditions, Stidham had a decent game. Receivers and the running backs didn't show up. I really like Kerryon Johnson the RB from Auburn, but he was locked up.

legler82 likes this.