Jamal Benched

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by sec314, Sep 17, 2019.

1. TonyFtLaud

TonyFtLaud Well-Known Member

Heard the same on GMF about a week ago, more how Gase had been really pushing for Polite and Williams not wanting him. You raise some interesting questions.

Noam likes this.
  2. sackexchange

sackexchange Well-Known Member

Here's the thing about being a hardass Coach. If you win, the players buy into it and don't mind the discipline. If you lose, you're just an asshole and it won't take too long for a full scale mutiny.

Guys like Parcells and Belichick have instant credibility so what works for them will probably not work for an unproven guy like Gase.

CheeseNips, Noam, CBG and 3 others like this.
  3. Falco21

Falco21 Well-Known Member

So wait, Gase is praised for benching Trumaine Johnson for piss poor play, but he is shit on for benching Adams for a piss poor play and a boneheaded penalty that extended a drive that lead to points for Cleveland?

NYJetsO12 and ColoradoContrails like this.
  4. Falco21

What are they up to?!

They should have benched the entire line and made Falk snap the ball to himself!

5. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

It will be interesting to see if Jamal makes any more stupid penalties. I suspect he won't. This was something that Bowles never did and it created a very undisciplined team. I'm critical of Gase for other reasons but I support him benching players for shitty/undisciplined play.That said, why did they have so many penalties last night?

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  6. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

I have to agree with you on this one.

7. Falco21

Brah, it's because I'm just spewing FACTS ;)

HAHAHA! :p

8. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

Benching a team captain that was trying a little too hard at the end of a lost game.......total bush league move by Gase.
    A player like that you communicate with, but don’t bench......at least not for that.

He’s about to lose another locker room.
    Has learned nothing it seems.

CheeseNips likes this.
  9. Longsuffering88

Longsuffering88 Well-Known Member

He’s another wind bag

Trade him

How many wins did he contribute to?

10. rohirrim665

rohirrim665 Well-Known Member

Adams needs a little humility anyway, he left some plays out there last night. Made some bad choices in zone coverage, he is not all-world and he needs to simmer down. I like that nobody is above being benched.

11. TonyFtLaud

TonyFtLaud Well-Known Member

Pretty sure it was Williams who benched him. Gase doesn't pay the D any attention. Probably didn't know Adams was benched until today.

BacktoQueens likes this.
  12. chandler

chandler Well-Known Member

Marrone has been to an AFC championship game. Guy wanted to coach here. he's a disciplinarian. Tom Coughlin, etc. tons of effective coaches are disciplinarian. I'll go with the disciplinarian. I'd rather have a bunch of lesser players, playing cohesively as a team, than a bunch of insecure crybabies, not owning their shit when they mess up (which everyone does; it doesn't make you a bad player or person; but discipline is a better tool for getting that slop corrected)

right now, the team needs some leadership from the CS AND the players saying they'll get this right; there are a ton of new faces on this team (AND a lot of positives). They need to own their mistakes and fix them.

The key, of course, is whether on reflection the criticism and discipline were deserved. That to me is the difference between a disciplinarian and an a-hole

13. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

So TLDR version (as per adams) he tried to guess a play and jump it and guessed wrong. GW wasn't happy he didn't follow his assignment and benched him for 5 plays only. not as big of a deal as people are making it to be.

full version

14. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

Next he'll be complaining about his helmet.

15. I Am The Stig

I Am The Stig Active Member

It’s a smart move by Williams. Adams was hitting hard leading up to those penalties and he was going to get himself suspended.

Acad23 likes this.
  16. CBG

CBG Well-Known Member

Falco IMO the Adams personal foul penalty was not smart and cost us 3 pts but if a guy is giving effort such as the offsides penalty against Adams and again it was him being aggressive IMO not stupid then you dont bench a guy who is out there hustling and making plays. If a guy gives little or no effort and does not produce ( see Trumaine Johnson ) yes you bench his sorry ass,,,,its not a double standard at least not to me.

BacktoQueens likes this.
  17. Imagesrdecieving

Imagesrdecieving Well-Known Member

I agree. You have to give your captain and emotional heart of the team a little more leash than that.

What would he have done to Myles Garrett with that attitude?

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

CotcheryFan and BacktoQueens like this.
  18. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

Agreed effort and passion have everything to do with how you handle the player.

Adams was getting frustrated, and a little over zealous in trying to make something happen.
    He's a team leader, and players look up to him. Better to pull him aside and talk him down a little.

TJ on the other hand, hasn't looked liked he's cared at all since he's been here.
    I do understand that benching, if no other motivating tactics were working.

Imagesrdecieving likes this.
  19. If it happens again I'll raise an eyebrow. A one time thing for 5 plays in garbage time after a costly mistake sets an example that no one on the team is above accountability regardless of the situation. If Adams takes it like a man & learns from it which I think he will, the entire team will be better for it.

There's something to be said for setting a standard of not tolerating mental lapses or non performance.
    We naturally side w. the star player b.c we don't want the relationship to be fractured to the point of the player leaving..but no player should be above a standard of excellence. For too long that's been the case here

NYJetsO12 and CotcheryFan like this.
  20. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

Today NFL players are social media stars and prima dona wanna bes

Adams is a good player who is now appointed NYJs leader as Proclaimed in Ny Post and Daily News This has all gone to his head! Personally I would have used his Draft # on a actual contributor to the enemic Offense and Off Line

Bowles Kacy and Mac created this spoiled child by sparing the Rod with their undisciplined approach. Now the Rod is returned...boo hoo Jamal sorry we hurt your feelings