Jamal Adams: No Game Plan for Mayfield

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Since1969, Sep 26, 2018.

1. Since1969

Since1969 Well-Known Member

Jamal Adams had some interesting comments. He said the team had a game plan for Tyrod Taylor but not for Baker Mayfield. What do you make of this? Is this a player making excuses for a team meltdown or an indictment of Bowles and the coaching staff? Recall that after the game, Bowles said Mayfield and Taylor were running the same plays, so there was no need to make adjustments.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.c...ts-didnt-have-a-game-plan-for-baker-mayfield/

2. LogeSection2RowJ

LogeSection2RowJ Well-Known Member

I heard his comments live on the radio, and they did not upset me. Geez, these guys make any public comment and it's treated as testimony in a murder trial. It gave the guy at Pro Football talk another Jets-catastrophe column. Basically what Jamaal said was that they planned for Tyrod, and where surprised when he came out of the game. He immediately added that their game plan would have been the same for Baker Mayfield.

Take from that what you will.

3. Rollo Tomassi

Rollo Tomassi Well-Known Member

I heard some of the local radio show commentators saying the same thing on Monday. Did they really have to game plan that much differently for Mayfield v Taylor?

And he was a rookie with likely very few snaps with the ones during the week.

I love Adams but this seems like an excuse.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  4. Trainer

Trainer Well-Known Member

Neither. No team gameplans for the backup QB.
    What the Jets failed to do was adjust for the speed at which Baker played the game, which is probably why we are hearing that Bowles will take over play calling in certain situations.

westiedog1 and NYJetsO12 like this.
  5. dmw

dmw Well-Known Member

Game plan for Mayfield: no rush, no blitzes, soft zone, give up ez completions, lose game.

6. Jetsfansince95

Jetsfansince95 Well-Known Member

shocker

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  7. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

If the Jets recover the mayfield fumble and intercept his terrible pass into the end zone we would be hearing how great the jets defense was and how they rattled a young baker mayfield who is not ready for the big time yet.

I’ll tell you what happened, Todd Haley figured out how to neutralize the jets defense and started running the hurry up offense. He made an adjustment and it worked.

KR on the other hand failed to make adjustments to what TH was doing.

No worries though they have 2 more years to figure this out, I’m sure KR will learn to be a better DC, apparently 15 years in the league as a coach on the defensive side of the ball and being mentored by some pretty good guys is not enough to help these guys prepare for hurry up offenses.

8. tomdeb

tomdeb Well-Known Member

That's right. Todd Bowles is only in his FOURTH year as a head coach. Gonna take a lot more time for him to know how to get his team prepared for a game.

Freddy Mondo, Ralebird, CBG and 3 others like this.
  9. STARoSCREAM

STARoSCREAM Well-Known Member

also, the play where the Browns player fumbled on the sideline as the Jets defender made the tackle and the ball pops out right at the feet of a Jets defender, he makes NO effort to fall on it, yet another Browns player (linemen i think) falls on it. Another squandered opportunity

10. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

He also said players need to make plays but that doesn’t help the cause here so omit that.
    Bottom line is there were adjustments to be made and opportunities blown and the jets lost because of it. Team loss.

Red Menace likes this.
  11. BomberJet

BomberJet Well-Known Member

If Bowles stated that he will take over some of the D play calling, you know for sure he was not happy with the way Rogers handled the situation when Mayfield was taking control. The players on the field are just doing what they are told as it appears by what has gone down, so I'm assuming there really is no one player calling out the plays on his own.

If that's the case Rogers is the fall guy.

12. LogeSection2RowJ

LogeSection2RowJ Well-Known Member

How many QB's can they "prepare for" in 11 days? Six? I hate the Thursday Night games. I wasn't even prepared to watch that game, let alone play in it. Thursday night games should be for teams coming off their bye week.

#12 LogeSection2RowJ, Sep 26, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 26, 2018
  13. Doreblade

Doreblade Active Member

He also said they stuck to the game plan. Jeez that pisses me off. So the opposition change to a QB who is untried in the NFL but is known during college for dynamic plays. Yet they didn't change their mindset and plan to counteract...yet another indication Bowles can't adjust during a game...

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

mattyd99 and ColoradoContrails like this.
  14. Maybe you dont spend an elaborate amount of time on Mayfield but you cant live in a bubble & treat it like any other back up QB.The Browns were in a unique position in all aspects & you have to be somewhat contiencios of Mayfield entering the game.Theres always a natural upswing from the crowd & the players on both sides of the ball when a rookie QB steps on the field for first time.You have to know the opposing coach is desperate to win & that Mayfield is his wildcard. You have to have some sort of contigency in place regardless of if the plays are the same of how you’re gonna disrupt a rookie QB if things go awry. And boy did things go awry.

“Our gameplan stayed the same,they were running the same plays..one QB can run the other cant” is unacceptable on every level. Is this the same standards he holds the players to? Kinda goes along w that whole Alarm clock BS w Wilkerson. This is not a winning standard nor is this the guy to be building a “culture”.

15. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

So much for "The players all love Bowles". Adams has to know his comment is a clear indictment of the CS, including Bowles. And it may ultimately be a nail in Bowles's coffin.

16. Longsuffering88

Longsuffering88 Well-Known Member

You guys are too hard on Bowles and Rodgers

It’s only been 3+ years

Give them some time
    We need continuity.

We all know it’s impossible to adjust defensive play calls during the game...

We all know it’s silly to think a QB could be knocked out of a game....

Leave these guys alone. I want the #1 pick next year so we can take a soft D lineman.

SOJAZ, tomdeb, Since1969 and 2 others like this.
  17. WarriorRB28

WarriorRB28 Well-Known Member

I'd love to find out who told him that leadership means throwing teammates & coaches under the bus to the press.

18. Doreblade

Doreblade Active Member

You're saying all defensive plays are scripted throughout the game?

19. Doreblade

Doreblade Active Member

Ah... think I missed the humour Longsuffering88

20. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

No they can't prepare for 6 QBs in 11 days. The issue is not so much preparation as Mayfield and Taylor are similar QBs in that both are mobile, can move around in the pocket, are evasive, and can pick up yards with their legs. Where they're different is that Mayfield is a level or two above Taylor in terms of accuracy. Bowles claimed nothing changed when Mayfield came into the game, but he's obviously a liar, because all of a sudden the Jets got passive, dropped back into a prevent zone and stopped playing receivers tightly. THAT cost them the game.