Jamal Adams... (Merged)

Discussion in 'National Football League' started by fansince90, Aug 20, 2017.

1. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Based off what? Matt Ryan and Cam Newton both went to a SB and lost. Does McNair have a ring?

There is 0 correlation between winning a SB and winning the MVP award.

Eli Manning has NO MVPs, but has 2 rings with 2 SBMVPs.

2. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

In addition to winning MVP, Mahomes led the league in Adjusted Net Yards per Attempt and carried a Chiefs team that was 31st in total defense to the AFC Championship Game despite losing his running back during the season. Which is why he won MVP and the real reason he's incredible. And Elway is glorified over Marino because fans are obsessed with shiny objects.

3. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

That's false. A higher percentage of quarterbacks who have won the MVP have won the Super Bowl than quarterbacks who have not won the MVP. Therefore there is a positive correlation between the two variables.

4. 101GangGreen101

Mahomes had a great year, I do not discredit that one bit. He is going to be a very good QB in this league. I am looking forward to seeing how he plays this year, I think he will regress because it's insanely hard to duplicate what he did last year. However, I do disagree that just because Mahomes won a MVP, does not mean he is more likely to win a SB then Darnold. Not just fans glorify Elway, but the media too.

5. Big Cat

Big Cat Well-Known Member

I personally feel like this discussion needs to be tabled until we see how Darnold looks in year 2. It’s not like Mahomes threw for 5,000 yards and 50 TDs as a rookie.

Jets81, Mr mittens and FJF like this.
  6. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

say what now????!!? You need to rethink that bro.

of course there's a correlation between winning a SB and winning the MVP award. Good players often win superbowls, that's not exactly a profound statement of mine. There are thousands upon thousands of NFL quarterbacks that weren't MVPs and also didn't win a Super Bowl. Way too long to list on this website. Sam Darnold is one, so is Mark Sanchez, and Geno Smith, etc. etc. probably like 0.001 % or something of "Non-MVP" Quarterbacks went on to win a Super Bowl

the MVP award has been around since 1957, 61 winners. Lets say only half have won Superbowls. I have no idea, but 30 seems reasonable. Now were talking 50% of MVPs also won a SB, vs. the 0.001% of "Non-MVPs"

HomeoftheJets likes this.
  7. 101GangGreen101

The last QB to win the MVP and then win the SB was Kurt Warner in 1999. Take a look at the # of QBs since then that have won the MVP, how many of them won the SB that year? How many ever win one? Rodgers didn't win a MVP until after he won a SB. Big Ben has never won a MVP. Manning I believe never won a SB in the year he won the MVP. Brady even he suffered from the same fate. Your QB wins the MVP, chances are very low that, that year you will win the SB.

So OK, maybe a 5% correlation lol

8. 101GangGreen101

Check my above post, last time it happened was in 1999, look at the # of QBs that won the award and see how many won the SB that year.

The % if anything is very small. So maybe there is a correlation, but barely noticeable. History says, you wont win a SB that year if your QB wins the MVP.

9. BrowningNagle

now it has to be the same year? huh? no one has made that claim

The last MVP QB to win a SB was Tom Brady, February 2019.

HomeoftheJets likes this.
  10. 101GangGreen101

QBs that don't win an MVP have just as much a shot to win it as one who has won it.

12 QBs that won the MVP never won a SB
    9 Qbs that won the MVP won a SB

Then count the players like Roger Staubach, overrated John Elway, etc there are many more great QBs that never won an MVP that won superbowls.

That's why I am saying there is no true correlation. Your chances just don't spike because you won an MVP. What if Brees gets his 2nd ring this year? He's never had an MVP.

K'OB likes this.
  11. BrowningNagle

bro... read your posts again. thats all I'm gonna say...

12. 101GangGreen101

Give me any proof that suggests you winning an MVP gives you a higher chance of winning a SB. I have no issue admitting you and @HomeoftheJets are correct (should you have evidence to support your argument), but right now, I don't think you guys are.

Not only does this rarely happen in the same season (and when I mean rare, I mean rare), but there are more QBs that won an MVP that never won a SB over a QB that won an MVP but never won a SB. So where is the lie?

#772 101GangGreen101, Jun 5, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 5, 2019
  13. BrowningNagle

I already did man. I thought I laid it out pretty clearly.

If you remove repeat winners (Peyton Manning won MVP 5 times) that means that only 21 QBs on planet earth have ever won an NFL MVP to begin with. Patrick Mahomes is one of those 21 men. 9 of them have also won superbowls.

That's ~43%.

Now, how many men have played QB in the NFL and NOT won an MVP? Hundreds? thousands? idk... I don't get paid to look up and compile every Jack Trudeau or Jeff Blake, or Glenn Foley, etc. but surely that percentage within that group to win a Super Bowl would be far, far less than 43%

14. 101GangGreen101

Lol 43% cmon now. The initial argument is that, winning the MVP gives you a higher probability of WINNING a SB. Note, I freaking hate math.

52 Superbowls played right?
    9 QBs have won the MVP and won the SB

History says 17% of QBs that ever played in a SB and won a MVP fits the criteria.

That doesn't mean we should take each remaining QB from the superbowl Era and use it in the argument we would have to pick out certain QBs. But it's probably larger then 17

#774 101GangGreen101, Jun 5, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 5, 2019
  15. BrowningNagle

ok then, use 17% lol. Its still 16.99999999% higher than the percentages of non-MVP QBs to win the Super Bowl

16. 101GangGreen101

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Super_Bowl_starting_quarterbacks

So I did some research, I chose 17 QBs and omitted any backups / horrible QBs ... 17 QBs below never won the MVP, but won a SB

Joe Namath
    Len Dawson
    Roger Staubach
    Bob Griese
    Terry Bradshaw
    Ken Stabler
    Jim Plunkett
    Jim McMahon
    Phil Simms
    Troy Aikman
    Brad Johnson
    Ben Roethlisberger
    Eli Manning
    Drew Brees
    Russell Wilson
    Joe Flacco
    Nick Foles

Did not include:
    Doug Williams (backup)
    Jeff Hostetler (backup)
    Trent Dilfer (lol)
    Mark Rypien (meh)

33% of average QBs that won a SB never won an MVP and the above QBs were average to pretty good. Interesting discussion, but we shall see what the future holds.

17. BrowningNagle

why would you omit backup/horrible QBs..????? that's the whole point. Mahomes is an MVP. Sam Darnold could very well be a backup/horrible QB someday. this discussion is getting out of hand

18. 101GangGreen101

To be honest, me omitting them helped your side of the argument. I include them that's 21 QBs out of the 52 Superbowls (didn't count them twice). That would be 40%, but I wanted to account for average to above average QBs.

I agree, everything we are discussing is purely hypothetical / opinionated. Thats why I am saying there is no true correlation.

I am absolutely down to stop discussing this lol.

19. NYJ1970

NYJ1970 Well-Known Member

Jamal Adams is EASILY the best player on this team. It was also a GREAT pick. All these yahoos trying to criticize the pick don't know what the he'll they're talking about. It was amazing that Adams even slipped to 6, he should have gone number 1.

GasedAndConfused likes this.
  20. spinjani

spinjani Member

Not sure if this is somewhere else on the site, but youtube has a great video of Jamal breaking down film.

stinkyB likes this.