Jamal Adams: Jets Exercise 5th Year Option

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Falco21, Apr 27, 2020.

1. Falco21

Falco21 Well-Known Member

2. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

Irrelevant since he wants a new deal, but yeah, this was the next step. I home Jamal is wise enough to see the solid work Joe is doing, and how he is transforming the Jets. Now is the time to lock in, not check out.

Joe D MVP, chandler and Red Menace like this.
  3. Falco21

Falco21 Well-Known Member

Curious on the impact of the Ashtyn Davis pick.

While everyone is signalling that it will have no impact on Adams, it makes you wonder if Adams plays hardball and the Davis pick works out, Douglas may find a trading partner and add some more pieces to the offense.

Presents an interesting scenario, although I do believe Adams will be locked up long term soon.

Cman68 and The Dark Knight like this.
  4. MexicanJet

MexicanJet Well-Known Member

Get ready for the drama-filled hold out.

Bum.

5. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I don't think that Adams is going anywhere, but if he does get traded, I don't see either Maye or Davis being capable of playing SS the way Adams has. IMO Bennett Jackson would take over as the SS if Adams is traded, or Williams would have to change up his D on the back end.

The Dark Knight likes this.
  6. dawinner127

dawinner127 Well-Known Member

I think Douglas gets this done and Adams is here for a long, long time. Look at the majority of players he drafted - team leaders, captains. Adams fits that manta to the tee.

papapump and The Dark Knight like this.
  7. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

When the Cowboys picked CeeDee Lamb I found it interesting, since they did not need a WR. The Jets needed a WR though and the Cowboys needed and clearly want Jamal Adams. They prevented Lamb from going to Miami too. Couldn't tell if it was a coincidence or the Jets and Cowboys were talking. Clearly just a coincidence as the Jets took Denzel Mims the next day. Not sure if anyone ever brought up that possibility but it did cross my mind.

In the end, I think Adams will be extended and remain a Jet. Like I said, he should be noticing that things are changing in New York. He will get paid, and then he should be all-in.

K'OB, Biggs, Falco21 and 2 others like this.
  8. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Interesting conjecture. But I think the odds are against it. Still, intriguing.

NCJetsfan and The Dark Knight like this.
  9. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

It's a very interesting situation that we find ourselves in with Adams. He's unquestionably a great player, but he's not a great player that I think Douglas would choose to build his defense around.

There's only been two truly elite strong safeties over the last twenty years for any extended period of time. I think you can throw John Lynch and Kam Chancellor in there for shorter periods of time but they were no where near as effective as Brian Dawkins or Troy Polamalu. It's interesting to note that the true effectiveness of this style of player has slowly gone away and become more of an after thought. Big hitters are a dying breed because of the way they draw flags. Grant Delpit was a lesser talent than Adams but still likely shouldn't have fallen as far as he did.

Adams is a more special case than just any strong safety because he can cover tight ends and just that good against the run. But I'm very interested if Douglas will pay him. The Ravens rotated strong safety after strong safety in and out while making sure that Ed Reed was paid and happy. I have to believe he's going to explore every possible big haul Khalil Mack style trade for him because he believes in his drafting ability that much.

10. LeonNYJ

LeonNYJ Well-Known Member

The more you look at this situation, the more you realize that Davis was the perfect leverage pick. A) You either use him to get a better deal out of Adams (and soon after Maye) B) Have him as a backup plan in case you need to trade Adams or Maye. C) If all falls into place, have the flexibility to move him to CB since he has experience at the position.

11. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Davis is moreso a cover safety, he has no impact or leverage on all pro safety Adams who does a lot more. Davis will never bring that to the table.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  12. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Yes, Davis was a pick I panned right off the bat, but having read a number of articles, and posts, can see that I was wrong. I'm happy to say that it's nice having a GM that knows more than I do!:D

NCJetsfan likes this.
  13. NCJetsfan

Very interesting as Arte Johnson used to say on Laugh In. I hadn't thought of that. I disagree that the Cowboys didn't need a WR. They wanted one to put opposite Amari Cooper. They have a devastating duo now. I hope that things will get worked out so Adams remains a Jet, but if not, I'd trade him to the Cowpukes for Lamb and their 1st round pick next year.

#13 NCJetsfan, Apr 27, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 27, 2020
  14. NCJetsfan

Now that you mention it, Douglas might take the Ravens tack in reverse, i.e., pay Adams, and rotate FSs in and out.

15. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

Douglas did say that he'd like for Adams to be a Jet for life. I don't think he was lying when he said that. But, if Adams does demand too much money and a team is willing to offer a package similar to what Mack fetched the Raiders, he'll be a goner.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  16. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

Trade him to Dallas for Lamb and next years first.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  17. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

Lamb on a rookie deal and 15 plus in cap space after next year. I would love that. I'm not sure Dallas would do it. They can cut Cooper after 2 years. That gives them a nice window with both of them and flexibility that they won't have if they bring in Adams and give him a new deal.

I think Dallas was a little surprised he fell to them.

18. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

I love Adams and pray we can keep him.

If we lost Jamal, it would be painful but not devastating.

We're lucky to have Quinnen Williams, CJ Mosley, and Jamal all competing for the same tackles. If we lost Jamal it would hurt, but not be the end of the world.

19. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Lol Mosley guarding TEs like Adams

Footballgod214 likes this.
  20. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

I hope JD doesn't rush it with Adams. We have him for 2020, the last year of his 4 yr contract. We've already exercised his 5th year, 2021. Joe can tag him in 2022. The tag this year for Safeties is $11,441,000. Not terrible, and a LOT less than the $17M per year he wants. Joe can tag him again in 2023 I believe.

I really want Adams to stay, but I hope Joe doesn't panic and WAY overpay him.