Jalen ramsey

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by jets21027, Aug 12, 2019.

1. Jets81

Jets81 Well-Known Member

We could go in the opposite direction and make a move for Jadeveon Clowney. Shore up the pass rush with a 26 year old beast.

I don’t necessarily think it’s the right move but it could be an option.

Mr mittens likes this.
  2. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

I have no idea how good next year's CB class is, but I bet Douglas takes one in the middle rounds, maybe earlier depending on how the offseason goes and whether he's able to acquire more picks.

3. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

don't forget next year we'll also have austin. He has a ton of talent but is a big injury risk

4. TonyFtLaud

TonyFtLaud Well-Known Member

Austin should be able to contribute at some point this season, his injury came week 1 last year. Almost a full year ago.

5. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

Wouldn’t be surprised if Austin is I.R. for the year just to keep a roster spot open

GasedAndConfused and TonyFtLaud like this.
  6. TonyFtLaud

Even if they activate him, he'll be right back on the IR the following week..:mad:

7. GasedAndConfused

I wouldn't bank on it personally. 6th round rookie hasn't played any football in a year, hasn't practiced with the team yet. Even if he does wind up healthy enough to play at some point this year it would be a tough spot to contribute in it. jets best bet is throwing him on IR to save the roster spot and focusing on getting him ready next offseason

8. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

We already have a $17 million corner that disappoints. We don't need another mess like that. Just ride out this season, maybe grab a corner or 2 off the scrap heap when teams have to make cuts. Ramsey doesn't make this team a contender either way

9. TonyFtLaud

Conservatively, he should have been ready 2 months ago. Realistically,4 months ago. We have a severe lack of depth at the position.
    Putting him on the IR would be a bad move. The NFI makes sense if they are resigned to sitting him all year, or the PUP ,so he can work on conditioning with the training staff and have a chance to play at some point. Both the NFI and PUP give the same roster exemption as the IR, but have the advantage of the players salary not counting toward the cap.

10. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

Ramsey doesn’t make this team a contender because Sam does.
    Ramsey makes this team better though and shores up the weakest position on the team kickers aside.

11. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Great point! It would be dumb to tie up such a huge chunk of the Jets' salary on two CBs.

12. BrowningNagle

yea but how much better? It will take a 1st round draft pick and $75 million contract to land Ramsey. He already told Jacksonville he won't take a discount from them. He wants to be the highest paid corner in the NFL.

I don't think he makes this team better enough to justify that

NCJetsfan likes this.
  13. TonyFtLaud

That's why you sign Ramsey. Then dump Johnson in the off-season. Designated post June 1, 4 mill dead cap, 11 million in savings. And then your #1 corner is top 5 vs top 40.

14. BrowningNagle

if Trumaine Johnson has taught us anything its that just because Ramsey will be paid the most in the league doesn't mean he will perform at that level

and he can't be signed, he has to be traded for AND signed to the biggest CB contract ever

NCJetsfan likes this.
  15. TonyFtLaud

Johnson was the 38th ranked corner when we signed him. As shitty as he was, he actually performed exactly as he had prior. Ramsey is ranked 5th. Ramsey wants $75 mill, as you say, that's $2.5 more than Johnson, over 5 years.
    $500 k per year for a massive upgrade.

Mr mittens and FJF like this.
  16. TonyFtLaud

As for the trade, this whole thread is hypothetical. It's been stated all ready that he's not on the block.

FJF likes this.
  17. GasedAndConfused

IR you can work on conditioning and practice. you can also take them off of it after week 8. His salary is irrelevant because it's a rookie deal for a 6th round pick. You can't put him on the NFI list either it's not qualifying. I'm not sure of what the PUP list can offer I'd have to look into the difference between that and the IR list. but you have to remember he's a rookie CB who hasn't played in the NFL, hasn't practiced, and barely played in college. I can't see him being ready physically and mentally to play defense for us this season at least not in the 1st half of it

18. TonyFtLaud

Why can't you put him on the NFI ? Enlighten me.
    His salary is over $500k , better to roll it over if he's not going to play this season as you stated.

19. GasedAndConfused

NFI is non football injury list. for people in car accidents or got hurt riding a motorcycle etc. Non football injuries. It's the same as the PUP list otherwise. the 1 difference is on the NFI List a team can choose not to pay a player. so say robby anderson gets in a car crash and breaks his leg in the off season, the jets can opt to NFI list him and not pay him (which is why it doesn't count against the cap). outside of that it's the same as the PUP list which requires to be out of the NFL for 6 weeks. Even if he was eligible it would be a very shitty and frowned upon move to draft an injured player from college then place him on a NFI list and not pay him.

So basically yeah PUP list is an option for austin as is short term IR list. NFI isn't an option

20. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

I like CJ Henderson and AJ Terrell from next year's class from what I've read and seen about them. Not sure if we'll land either.