Jalen ramsey

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by jets21027, Aug 12, 2019.

1. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

As soon as you think you have a qb is when you go all in. You can’t wait for the next draft, the draft isn’t for the upcoming season,it’s for the 3-4 after that. I don’t think this is a viable option as the jags are in for this year too but these are the moves you make, no questions asked, when you think you have a qb.

NYJFOREVER likes this.
  2. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

For OT's: Walker Little, Andrew Thomas, Alaric Jackson, Thayer Munford, Austin Jackson, Mekhi Becton, Isaiah Wilson, etc....
    Some might be RT's, but as Kurt said before he left this site, that position is becoming just as important as LT. Teams are putting their top pass rusher on that side if I'm not mistaken.

For WR's: Jerry Jeudy, Laviska Shenault, Ceedee Lamb, Tee Higgins, Henry Ruggs, etc.....
    I've read that Jeudy is the top WR, but the other WR's wouldn't be a bad consolation prize.

The OL would be in better shape if Macc addressed it in rounds 2-3 of the draft as there were quality prospects available. I was against taking safeties in back to back grounds to open the 2017 draft as well. CB in round 2, OL in round 3 would've worked for me.

Basically, we're in this situation because Macc neglected the OL and CB positions.

#102 CotcheryFan, Aug 14, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 14, 2019
    NCJetsfan likes this.
  3. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

Not quite. the big difference in the NFL is it has revenue sharing. So it has the highest average as there isn't a large imbalance between the high and low teams where other sports have that. Even in small markets NFL teams have high revenues where in the MLB for example that's not the case.

I'll use the NY teams since it's a big market and this is a jets board. I couldn't find all the updated numbers for 2018 for all 3, but i found the 2017 revenues for the jets, knicks and the yankees

Yankees were tops at 619 million https://www.statista.com/statistics/196673/revenue-of-the-new-york-yankees-since-2006/
    The jets and knicks both tied at 443 million
    https://www.statista.com/statistics/195284/revenue-of-the-new-york-jets-since-2006/
    https://www.statista.com/statistics/196751/revenue-of-the-new-york-knicks-since-2006/

So with the same revenue the knicks only have to pay out 12-15 players where the jets need to pay out 53 plus the PS. NFL teams also have much more front office, scouting, coaching staff, etc to pay out. Not to mention much higher medical expenses. The yankees only having to pay out 40 players at that time (starting 2020 it goes down to 25) had almost 50% more revenue then the jets. So in short MLB and NBA in the same market has a equal or higher to revenue of the NFL team but less expenses so hence higher profit margin. In short, NFL owners make less max money then MLB or NBA owners (lower ceiling) however NFL owners have a higher floor for minimum earnings

Edit: I found another good one
    https://www.forbes.com/teams/new-york-jets/#4839cf157126

This shows for 2018 the jets revenue was 443 million, The team (aka owners) made 130 million. The players were paid in cash 187 million. So the players actually made more then the owners in 2018 for the jets

Jets81 likes this.
  4. GasedAndConfused

Yeah it happens and yeah enunwa has been injury prone his career. I won't count 2014 since he was on the PS and only elevated to play 1 game at the end of the year but in 2015-2018 (4 seasons) out of a possible 64 games he only played in 39

Robby though in 3 seasons out of a possible 48 games played in 46 games. that's not injury prone. he didn't miss a game his 1st 2 seasons and only missed 2 games in his 3rd

Crowder in 4 seasons out of a possible 64 games he played 56. he didn't miss a game his 1st 2 seasons and only missed 1 in his 3rd. his 4th season he missed 7. I wouldn't call that injury prone

basically the only injury prone WR we have out of the 3 is quincy and ironically he's the one we signed for the longest and most money out of the 3 currently. I wonder if giving Q that big contract was a mistake or not TBH. I hope he shows he can stay healthy

5. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

The Jets got 255 million in shared revenue. Jet players got 187 from the shared revenue. The additional 190 million the owners took in wasn’t shared. You have this all wrong. The players salaries didn’t come out of the teams revenue. It came out of shared league revenue.

The nba has shared revenue. The owners share is lower than the players share. The amount of games and players aren’t relevant. The owners are taking to big of the share on the shared revenue side.

6. TonyFtLaud

TonyFtLaud Well-Known Member

I don't see the Jags seriously entertaining a trade. They are trying to win this year with Nick Foles before blowing it up in the off-season.
    I'd love to see us add a top tier Corner, but I think it's going to be cast-off's.

mrjet80 likes this.
  7. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

Neither do I.... They finally have a QB that may not fuck up their chances

TonyFtLaud likes this.
  8. TonyFtLaud

Crowder has also dealt with hamstring and thigh issues throughout his career. He's played through them, but they have hampered his production.

9. TonyFtLaud

In today's league, I believe RT is more important. Almost every team puts their best pass rushers there, it's the shortest route to the QB, it gives you a shot at the strip sack , and if you lay a hit, it's always to his throwing arm/shoulder. For all the hate Brandon Shell gets around here, he had a good year, I don't remember Von Miller in Sam's face last year.
    I'd add Rondale Moore to the WR list. Could pass Judey at #1 if he comes close to last seasons production.

Acad23 likes this.
  10. GasedAndConfused

as they say, no player is 100% during an NFL season. they all play through injuries. as long as he can suit up and produce it's hard to complain.

TonyFtLaud likes this.
  11. GasedAndConfused

the shared revenue plus non shared = total revenue. it's a simple money in and money out. cap =/= cash flow either. There is also a large cost to actually running a team besides players salaries. The point was that the owners themselves made 130 million but paid out in cash to players 187 million. put that in comparison to say amazon where the owner is making 30 billion in 2018 and the employees aren't making anything close to that. I'm not sure why you feel the owners should make even less and the players make more. without owners, there is no league and no jobs for players.

Jets81 likes this.
  12. Jets81

Jets81 Well-Known Member

Biggs is on a mission to get NFL players paid more. The $480,000 a year minimum contract just isn’t cutting it apparently.

Biggs, GasedAndConfused and FJF like this.
  13. TonyFtLaud

Agree completely.

GasedAndConfused likes this.
  14. Imagesrdecieving

Imagesrdecieving Well-Known Member

Ramsey can't protect Darnolds blindside and he can't rush the QB off the edge. Those are the two places we should be looking in the 1st round next year so I'll pass.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

NCJetsfan likes this.
  15. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

This is a very short sighted POV imo and the type of mindset that lead to busts. You can’t hold a pick and ignore a known talent just for the shot at a position that may or may not be available when you pick. Particularly when you have no idea when you will be picking. You have to take each opportunity as it comes. To say we are holding our 2020 1st for a tackle or edge and that’s that, on August 14th ? That’s not the way to build a team.

NYJFOREVER and TonyFtLaud like this.
  16. dawinner127

dawinner127 Well-Known Member

Bingo.

Majority of people here probably peg us around 7 wins which would put us right in the 12-17 range of the draft. At that point you’re going to have to mortgage even more draft capital to get that blue chip LT or Edge guy everyone wants. I’ll take my guaranteed superstar CB for a gamble 1st.

NYJFOREVER, TonyFtLaud and FJF like this.
  17. Jets81

Jets81 Well-Known Member

I’d be good with the move so long as we’re not sending multiple picks for the guy. I know some people are convinced that we have to win on Darnolds rookie contract. I’m not...not even a little. Kid is 22 and could play at a high level for another 20 years with the way the league is going. He’ll have plenty of chances outside of this season, but the CB situation is terrible and needs to be addressed..

18. NOVAJET

NOVAJET "2020 TGG Fantasy Football Champ"

2017—Jamal Adams, S, LSU

2016—Darron Lee, LB, Ohio St.

2015—Leonard Williams, DE, Southern California

2014—Calvin Pryor, DB, Louisville

2013—Dee Milliner, DB, Alabama

2012—Quinton Coples, DE, North Carolina

2011—Muhammad Wilkerson, DT, Temple

2010—Kyle Wilson, DB, Boise St.

2009—Mark Sanchez, QB, Southern California

2008—Vernon Gholston, LB, Ohio St.

Going back 10 years before Sam... That's over 50% bust rate....
    Take the sure thing.

19. NOVAJET

NOVAJET "2020 TGG Fantasy Football Champ"

Moot point because they won't trade him.

20. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

But those two positions don't stop teams racking up scores as we play with a pair of cones at CB, it is a hard choice and for a lot of folk who think we can maybe do something this season, well, they may be in for a hard time still, so many gaps need filling.

There are upsides, Darnarld, Bell, WR group is strong with Herndon included. Adams needs some players to work with him in the backfield, it will be a bonus if Maye returns and plays better than in season 1 but CB is rough even with the man bag playing, he needs to earn that cash this season.