I've made up my mind for good

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by BIG TYMER, Apr 19, 2006.

1. GreyhoundJet

GreyhoundJet Active Member

I am all for D'Brick. Why wouldn't we want a lineman who will help protect our quarterbacks for years to come.

2. Run_N_gun10

Run_N_gun10 Well-Known Member

Brick at #4 & Taitusi Lutui Guard-USC at #29 & Marcus McNeill - OT...Auburn at #35

Guards - Kevin Boothe & Jarhi Evans...in 3rd rd.

Jets' are set for next 5 years...!!!

#42 Run_N_gun10, Apr 19, 2006
    Last edited: Apr 19, 2006
  3. PennyandtheJets

PennyandtheJets Well-Known Member

I think I have almost made my mind up for the draft as well...

I haven't decided whether I want whomever the Saints dont take (Ferguson or Williams) or if I want Cutler.

4. PRPitbull

PRPitbull Active Member

Time for a dose of your own medicine...

People can always hypothesize how a player would do against NFL talent as opposed to College talent. You try to make the point that D'Brick wont fair well against NFL players. The same damn thing can be said about Mario, even more so in Mario's case. D'Brick dominated in college. He had very few blemishes over 4 years. Mario on the other hand did not dominate. He wasnt the game changing playmaker people make him out to be. He had 14 sacks last year, BUT 10 of them came in 3 games against horrible offensive lines.

Maryland - 4 sacks
    Southern Mississppi - 3 sacks
    Wake Forest - 3 sacks

He then gets shutdown or contained by other crappy offensive lines with the exception of 3 teams.

Virginia Tech - 0 sacks
    Boston College - 0 sacks
    Eastern Kentucky - 0 sacks
    Georgia Tech - 0 sacks
    Clemson - 0 sacks
    University of South Florida(former division 2A team) - 1 sack
    Middle Tennessee - 1 sack
    North Carolina - 1 sack
    Florida State - 1 sack(an assisted sack at that)

Of these teams, only 3 of them had good lines(Florida State, VT, and BC, and BC has an NFL prospect T in Jeremy Trueblood). All the other teams dont scream dominating offensive lines to me. Being shutout or being mediocre in 9 out of 12 games doesnt scream PLAYMAKER to me. Lets call it how it is. People want him because of his size and combine numbers, not because of his productivity.

Now i heard from someone before that its not fair to judge him on those performances because teams couldve gameplanned him....DUH...if a college team can contain him i think an NFL team can contain him. Also, you cant say he was double teamed all the time because NC States defensive line has 3 1st rounders on it(Williams, Lawson, McCargo) who got a fair share of attention. Mario didnt deliver.

Now to those who dont act like sacks arent the measuring stick for DEs, be real. Players dont yearn to accumulate run stopping tackles. Players dont go to the pro bowl and take over games without sacks. Teams dont break the bank in free agency for a guy who plays the run well. Playing the run is important, but its secondary to the sack artist. If youre taking a guy this high, he better be able to stop the run and get the sacks. Once in a while you'll luck out with a Michael Strahan type player who can do both, but teams covet the Dwight Freeneys.

Also, why would we want this guy if were gonna play a 3-4? 3-4 DEs are basically role players whos jobs are to take up blocks and open up gaps. Hes not going to be getting to the QB. How many 3-4 DEs stand out and really dominate? How many pro bowl 3-4 DEs are there? Outside of Richard Seymour, there isnt anyone. Seriously, i can understand if we were utilizing a 4-3 where we can use him as a Julius Peppers style player, using that speed to pass rush and drop back in coverage.

And finally, if youre going to judge a player, you got to use the same set of rules to judge another. If youre saying D'Brick is gonna get dominated by NFL players, you got to say the same thing for Mario Williams. If youre going to mention D'Brick getting beaten by Daryl Tapp, you got to mention how Eastern Kentucky held Mario to 0 sacks and 1 tackle.

to quote Pedro Cerrano from Major League 2,"LOOK AT THE SCOREBOARD...NOW!"

#44 PRPitbull, Apr 20, 2006
    Last edited: Apr 20, 2006
  5. Imagesrdecieving

Imagesrdecieving Well-Known Member

Certain prospects are being referred to as "sexy picks" as if that is the only thing that they have going for them. Any of the players that we are considering in the top 5 are more than just "sexy" - they are legitimate prospects that can alter the direction of our franchise.

It all comes down to what you consider our greatest need versus the BPA. Personally - I feel that Mario Williams is the best fit. I have heard him being mentioned as having Julius Peppers type potential. That means that he has the ceiling to measure up with the best at his position. Brick on the other hand is being specifically downplayed as NOT being comparable to Pace or Ogden.

A poster remarked that O-Line is the most important position on the football field. I agree only so far as it being equal to D-Line(the trenches). The real deciding factor is the depth of Tackles available coupled with our picks. Eric Winston or Marcus McNeill will be available for sure at 29 possibly as late as 35. Who will be available as a 3-4 end at those picks that even come close to Super Mario's potential? NONE!

6. RochesterJet

RochesterJet Well-Known Member

I love guys like you...I really do, you have that pit bull mentality, no pun intended. But where in any of my posts have I said I want Williams? Half of your rebutal is about Williams, not brick and jones? Do yourself a favor, if your going to debate with me, at least stay on topic..it makes thing that much more interesting. We are playing VARSITY BALL hear...not JV, so either step up your game or drop out all togther.

7. EcKo151

EcKo151 Active Member

If Leinart and Mario are selected ahead of the Jets #4.

Then I would be content with D'Brickashaw. I wouldn't go wild like I would a Leinart or Mario, but would be okay with the selection. If it's between Mario and D'Brick, it has to be Mario, then i'd be mad if D'Brick is taken over Mario...

Ferguson would be an upgrade over Jones...I laugh at these "Brick is the same as Jones." etc. etc. We're not "set" at LT with Jones. D'Brick is a better prospect and has the potential to be a very good Tackle in this league...

Obviously he's my 3rd option behind Leinart and Mario, but i'd be okay with him.

8. ButtleMan

ButtleMan New Member

My problem with taking Ferg at #4 is that this is such a deep draft at the Oline positions and most of the other first round talent isnt that much behind Ferg.
    I just dont see that value there when if you could get mangold or McNeil with the #29 it would serve the same purpose.
    That is why I am against drafting Ferg. even if we trade down and take Justice or Winston, it would serve the same purpose without much of a dropoff in talent or potential.
    So you might as well use that #4 to take someone whose value holds for that position and that would be Leinart or Williams depending on who is available.

9. jonnyd

jonnyd 2007 TGG.com Funniest Poster Award Winner

th apposing team wouldnt have to prepare to stop d'brick in their gameplan...BUT..we could actually execute OUR gameplan with a stud lt....im not sayin we need to draft dbick but to say the pick would be an embarrassment is moronic

10. PRPitbull

PRPitbull Active Member

Because I know for a fact that you want Mario Williams and Marcus McNeil, you stated it in other posts. I bring it up because youre so knowledgabe when it comes to bashing and dissecting D'Brick, so why dont you apply that to all the other prospects. Oh its because you want Mario. Its called fighting fire with fire. And dont be mad because I came in like Mariano Rivera in the 9th and shut the game down.

#50 PRPitbull, Apr 20, 2006
    Last edited: Apr 21, 2006
  11. Jet Blue

Jet Blue New Member

I think Winston Justice is a MUCH better fit for the Jets..

But, I agree that OL is important in this draft and the Jets should draft a number of guys that should put us well on the way to having a real good OL...

Ferguson is not a good fit here.

12. BadgerOnLSD

BadgerOnLSD Banned

Sure, you could could replace a solid player with one that could be great, or you could draft a player at a position where we currently have NO ONE. (RT)

Mario & McNeil doesn't look bad at all.