It's Sanchez

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by ScotsJet, Aug 26, 2009.

1. soh_vet

soh_vet Well-Known Member

Didn't it happen to John Elway? Just saying if he's fumbling, getting sacked or throwing 2-3 picks per game, you may have to give him a clipboard just so he doesn't shatter his confidence. Not hoping or expecting it to happen. I hope he is Namaith's reincarnation.

2. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

No, I won't hate Sanchez because I'm not expecting, nor was I ever expecting a playoff run this year. I'm expecting Ryan to settle into the job, his style & system to set in with the players and Sanchez to learn from this year going forward. I really don't expect much from Mark until year 3 assuming Shotts is still here calling the plays.

I'm really hoping that we sit tight this year on the trade front. Take the time to assess what this team really needs, then address those needs in April instead of August like we usually do. It's gonna take more than one WR to make this team elite. Its really gonna take stocking the roster with quality depth and that takes time and DP's, not one superstar.

3. semperfigreen

semperfigreen Well-Known Member

The way I see things, Clemens has had his chances to win the starting QB position with this team. Whether or not Ryan knows what he is doing or not is a big question mark. We will have to wait and see. All I know is that we can't abandon the run this year when it is working. (This is another topic with Shotty)

4. MBGreen

MBGreen Banned

ummmmm...Clemens fell FLAT on his face......and Sanchez won by default (although, I agree with Alio....Sanchez was the starter in Rex's eyes from the get-go)

5. Hot Rod

Hot Rod Member

And Clemens would've won that many more? Please let me know how he was going to do that!

6. Section 227. Row 5

Section 227. Row 5 Active Member

VERY gutsy call. I do see your point but I believe we'd be throwing out the baby with the bathwater by jettisoning Clemens or sliding him downward.

Yesterday he was good enough to compete for our #1 spot. Today he's not even good enough to be our #2 and quite possibly be trade bait? Again, I understand your thinking on this but I think it's the wrong call.

Of course, things change and everything is always in a state of flux anyway. So what Ryan should do is play Clemens and Ainge sufficiently enough in the remaining two preseasons to get a handle on who is the better #2. This is another excellent reason why Ryan needed to make this starter call right now. Now it gives you the opportunty to think about other options instead of who the #1 will be.

7. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

I have a feeling Ainge would win that battle..

8. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

It was different with him. He refused to go to the Colts and demanded a trade. He was playing baseball for the Yankees. He probably had a different makeup than most. I'm not sure teams had the same attitude regarding rookie QBs back then either.

9. Poeman

Poeman Well-Known Member

I'm not saying Clemens should be starting...I'm just saying, be prepared for a alot of games where Sanchez will not be GOOD, UNLESS we get lucky and he plays like Matt Ryan. But theres a slim chance of that happening, because it rarely happens. Like someone else mentioned...Even the great QBs struggled in their rookie season. Aikman was what 0-11? Manning went 3-13?

All I know is that some people on this board were bashing Sanchez when he was playing his 2nd pre season game against the Ravens. Imagine week 1 against the Texans.

10. CatoTheElder

CatoTheElder 2009 Comeback Poster of the Year

Hello game manager! A heavy does of the running game and lot of looks to Keller are what this team is going to be utilizing which would be great for Sanchez's development. There's going to be a few growing pains but I think Sanchez is going to be fine. It's not like the CS is going to try and put everything on him. As long as he keeps his cool there shouldn't be too many problems.

11. Section 227. Row 5

Section 227. Row 5 Active Member

And if he does, I'm all for it.

12. WhiteShoeWillis

WhiteShoeWillis Well-Known Member

Sanchez hardly strikes me as a game manager. It seems to me that he likes to go vertical and is pretty good at it.

13. GreenHornet

GreenHornet New Member

What team do you think Clemens gets traded to next year?

I think we can rule out any of the divisional teams unless they are going to give up something pretty good.

I think Minnesota has a good chance of signing him. I think one year of Farve will be all they can handle.

14. Don

That is how the conventional wisdom goes and I probably agree with it too. There is a difference though. Atlanta and Baltimore had terrible teams in '07. 5-11 and 4-12. That's how they got those guys to begin with. The Jets have a very good OL, a good running game and probably a very good defense. They won't be asking Sanchez to throw 4 TDs a game. He has a very good chance of doing just fine.

15. GreenHornet

GreenHornet New Member

I suspect that the first game of the year will be a Hackettesque approach offensively. I think we will run first and when we have to pass, it will be the simple stuff. I don't expect the Jets to be demanding Sanchez throw a lot of deep over the middle stuff.

16. Don

Clemens contract is up. He walks after this year.

17. jetzIII

jetzIII New Member

I don't expect to have a good year. I think our defense will be in the top 10 easily, or even the top 5, but our offense will struggle. Just don't expect a playoff year, you will get dissappointed and start crying that we suck.

18. Andy_M

Andy_M Well-Known Member

WE need to support the kid and cut him some slack. This isn't going to be all candy and roses.

For future reference purposes:
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------

The first NFL seasons of some other QB's you might have heard of:

Bradshaw, four-time Super Bowl winner, Hall of Famer.
    His rookie stats: 8 starts, 6 TDs, 24 interceptions, 30.4 rating, 3-5 record.

Elway, two-time Super Bowl winner, Hall of Famer.
    Rookie numbers: 10 starts, 7 TDs, 14 INTs, 54.9 rating, 4-6 record.

Aikman, three-time Super Bowl winner, Hall of Famer.
    Rookie stats: 11 starts, 9 TDs, 18 INTs, 55.7 rating, 0-11 record.

Manning (Payton), one-time Super Bowl winner, future Hall of Famer.
    Rookie Stats: 16 starts. 26 TDs, 28 INTs, 71.2 rating. 3-13 record.

..and last, but certainly not least, T-H-E bar ..........

Montana , 4x Super Bowl winner, 3x Super Bowl MVP, Hall of Famer.
    Rookie numbers: 16 starts, 1 TD, 0 INTs, 81.1 rating, 2-14 record.

You get my point........

19. CatoTheElder

CatoTheElder 2009 Comeback Poster of the Year

That might not be his ultimate style but that's all I think the CS is going to ask him to do. I'm not defining "game manager" as a guy with a good head on his shoulders but no arm strength. He can go vertical and take chances, I just think the team is going to lean on the running game a little more this season so Sanchez can get used to the system and open the passing game up a little more next year. Who knows, we could see a lot more vertical throws later this year too. For now, especially considering the offenses we're going against early, it's going to be mostly about ball control.

20. WhiteShoeWillis

WhiteShoeWillis Well-Known Member

That would be the conservative approach. You're probably right, but I wouldn't be surprised to see them taking some shots down field.