Its not all Tanny - Rex is fading

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by ouchy, Aug 23, 2012.

1. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

Its not all Tanny. Some of it is Rex. A lot of it is Rex.

Rex is an amazing defensive coordinator. One of the best. But he is not a very good head coach. He is clearly not a team builder or talent visionary. In fact he doesn’t seem to have a vision for building the Jets at all. He is going by the same notions he thought when he took over. Band aid this – patch that – no insight into the offensive side of the ball – its just "everybody have fun and be happy and we will win the Superbowl”.

Rex doesn’t seem to understand offense therefore cannot help the offense. When the offense struggles he is lost. He is clueless for half the game. It would be a god send if he was just or DC. But he is our HC and that is becoming a problem.

The truth is our success in 2009/2010 was a combination of coaching. We had Mangini who was a terrible HC but a great talent scout assemble a pretty talented team. Then we had Rex come in and fill a hole or two and motivate the talent - who were just thrilled to be rid of Mangini. But now the talent is fading and we are paying the price for the band aids – too often to aging players. I don’t think Tanny or Rex could build a young team. They need help. We need a HC with a vision for the future.

As out talent slides we will slide. Rex is not the man to rebuild this team. He has no vision for it. His coaching style is not geared towards rookies – he is more comfortable yucking it up with vets. It turns out he is a lot like his father – great DC – mediocre HC. And it’s likely going to get ugly in the locker room this season because Rex has a very wobbly control over it. Rex is not the man to be“the man”.

I hate to point out what nobody is saying but it exists.

2. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

Everyone has said that. Haha.

3. Bannon

Bannon New Member

Rex gets major points as a head coach for having the guts to bring in Tebow. IMO that decision will one day look like genius and guts combined.

It at least shows he doesn't care what people think and is willing to shake things up.

4. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

I agree and its not like I am saying he is all bad. Just that we have reached his potential here and our time with him should be probably be ending sooner than later.

5. wa2k99

wa2k99 Active Member

Spare me. Enough turnover already.

6. Organized Chaos

Organized Chaos Well-Known Member

I miss fat rex, who never shut up.

I'll still take skinny, humble rex as my coach.

7. JetsVilma28

JetsVilma28 Well-Known Member

Defense is nasty. Rex is the reason for it. I'm a BIG fan of Rex Ryan.

8. alleycat9

alleycat9 Well-Known Member

very interesting analysis. this year will tell how rex will fare i think a bit better than past years. he now has an oc who he wanted and has had some time to draft a little bit. wilkerson and ellis look to be pretty good talents, and coples could prove to be as well.

i think our wonderful woody and tannenbaum are teh ones pulling the lets get plaxico, lets get tebow, lets get holmes and bart scott and landry whatever his roid head name is on the team. simply for the attention their names bring.

however now that they have brought in the biggest name they possibly could, how will they top themselves next year? what name could they possibly bring in to make us forget about tebow?

its like dan fucking snyder is running this team sometimes.

9. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

^ I'm not a huge fan of Tanny, but Snyder makes him look like a mastermind.

10. b.reyes16

b.reyes16 Well-Known Member

Rex does have his input on who we bring in, but it isn't his job to pick the players we bring in. That's Tanny's job. You basically made it look as if Rex were the GM. This teams problem isn't talent. It's making all the talent we have work together better which should get better when everyone is healthy.

He does have a vision. I really don't get your point. How many times have you heard "ground n pound" this year and prior years? He wants great defense, a good rushing attack with some PA and ball control. We have won over 30 games the last three seasons (including playoffs). Don't know when the last time we did that was.

11. All Gas No Shake

All Gas No Shake Well-Known Member

so who are all these talented players that mangini picked for the browns? why didnt they take off with a coaching change?

and the defense is the most talented its been since rex got here, the talent is not fading ... wilkerson, coples, ellis, harris, davis, maybin, revis and wilson will likely be here for years to come

as long as the defense has talent, rex will have this team in playoff contention

also, rex is no offensive mastermind, but to say he doesnt know offense is ridiculous ... how the hell do you think he devises these complex game plans to stifle elite offense? guess work??

the fact of the matter that we have a ton of money tied up in the defense right now so the offense has to roll with talented but inexperienced players ... this will change once we get scott, pace, and e. smiths big cap numbers off of the books next year ... until then, we'll have to lean on the defesne

12. Jets n Boys

Jets n Boys Banned

Once Pace, Scott, Eric, and Hunter are released next year, we would still have a bothersome cap situation.

But I do agree, we have a lot of talent and thats the reason why we have so much money tied up. Right now, we are about a couple of decent players away from being a 12 win team.

13. Bannon

Bannon New Member

I think the current Jets way is my preference -- I like a defense-oriented head coach, because it instills the team with a tough character, a championship mentality.

Then you supplement him with the latest rock star OC, to do the play-calling, etc. There seems to be a constant supply of "hot" flavor of the month playcallers and OC's. Just cycle through them and hope you get a ride with one for 3 or 4 years.

14. TheCoolerGlennFoley

TheCoolerGlennFoley Well-Known Member

It's August 23rd. Pump the brakes a bit.

15. JetsUK

JetsUK Well-Known Member

err pretty much everybody recognizes what Rex's weak points are as a HC, but I would still take him as our HC over 90% of the other coaches out there.

16. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

If Rex is going to have a real future in NY he's going to have to find his second wind in here somewhere. He got a lot of movement out of the first two years but did so in contrast to Eric Mangini. Now he's the only person people associate with Jets HC and so he's going to have to self-generate to get things moving again.

Most head coaches last 4 or 5 years. It takes a real commitment from the organization to go longer than that in the absence of a Super Bowl win and in most cases it takes owners who effectively hold the GM role.

17. All Gas No Shake

All Gas No Shake Well-Known Member

meh, im not too worried about it

harris and brick have high base salaries that can be converted into bonuses and spread out over the remainder of their deals ... revis has a high cap number that will likely be lower once he signs a new deal and pouha will be cut if ellis shows sufficient growth

all this is on top of the money we can carry over from this year (if thats still allowed) ... i think we'll be in good shape

18. dthomas53

dthomas53 New Member

Thank you.

Rex is easily the best HC this team has had since Parcells. He is a defensive genius and the only reasons the offense has sputtered is because of Shotty and a young QB who just hasn't matured at the expected rate. He still might, and I expect him to this season, if he can only get some damn time in the pocket.

We are just an average QB away from being a consistent playoff team considering how well our defense has performed in his first 3 seasons. Fix the RT problem and all this goes away. If our O-line can give Mark some time to throw this season, I can see us being a 10+ win team.

19. RochesterJet

RochesterJet Well-Known Member

Well said sir...well said indeed:

The season can not come soon enough; I am sick of these clows creating threads about the "sky is falling"! Sign MJD, Get ride of Rex! Lets play a few games before we start nailing guys to the cross.

*Also, for you so called Jets fans out there who want to start rediculus threads like this, rember a few things.
    1) Who were the Jets before Rex Ryan? I would seriously like some answers, did they have an identity?
    2) The Jets are a physical team; our goal in the pre-season is to not wear ourselves down or sustain any serious injurys. I have all the faith in the world that we will be able to control the clock and play solid D. We WILL BE IN GAMES this year again, how we play in thoes tight games will determin our record.

****CHILL PEOPLE****

20. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Describe the Jets identity now, hopefully without using much profanity in the process.