Is this team, as currently constructed, a playoff quality team?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by HackettSuxTNG, May 2, 2022.

?

Is this team, as currently constructed, a playoff quality team?

1. Yes

38 vote(s)
    40.0%
  2. No

57 vote(s)
    60.0%
  1. Noam

Noam Well-Known Member

I am less concerned about accuracy but until we see him show he can be accurate within the structure of the offense week in and week out it should be a concern. I want to see it before I believe it.

But the cause of his inaccuracy is another issue. There were 4 reasons. As Wayne Chrebet said you cannot judge anything Zach did in 2021 because he was constantly running for his life. That holds some water as it is hard to make an assessment given the circumstances. Chrebet said no QB would have succeeded in that enviorment. Second was confidence. When ZW lost his confidence his entire game fell apart pocket presence, accuracy and mechanics.

Third even when he regained his confidence he was still occasionally slipping on his mechanics and pointing his left foot to the left rather than at his target causing inaccuracy. He needs to clean this up. No QB can be accurate with bad mechanics except Mahomes.

Fourth he needs experience. You can see at the end of the year his processing speed increased greatly, he was routinely getting to his 3rd and 4th reads and he was trusting his reads and just throwing. The more comfortable he feels the better his accuracy will be.

I will add a 5th reason here and add in MLF. This year I think MLF will build in easier throws for him to build confidence, will use the Jet sweep more to slow down edge rushers and will have a better feel how to handle ZW.

2. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

WTF is this about and in what way is it relevant to anything being discussed right now or indeed previously?

Though, it smacks of a new excuse being brought into the mix lol

It is like saying the size of a soccer ball is different for different age groups and then pretending that when you turn 13 you can't kick a football anymore because it is bigger lol

In general, here are the appropriate sizes for age groups:
    • Size 5 – Adults (U12+), ages 13+ | 27-28 in. (68-70 cm)
    • Size 4 – Youth (U8-U12), ages 8-12 | 25-26 in. (63.5-66 cm)
    • Size 3 – Junior (U5-U8), ages < 8 | 23-24 in. (58.5-61 cm)
    • Size 1 – Skills training, all ages | 18-20 in. (46-51 cm)

I'm stopping now, you're definitely on the wum.

Have a good night :D:D

3. K'OB

If we are going to be honest I am or was concerned last season with the number of throws that should have been simple that missed the target and not under any pressure, the toe tappers and behind the WR/RB were plentiful, he wasn't running for his life on every throw either.

He did get better down the stretch but he stopped trying to force throws and it seemed they had a simpler playbook.

Again, the kid has the talent and the arm, he just has to unlock it, Darnold I never really liked but you still want them to succeed but he failed because he wouldn't learn ie Allen, let's all hope Wilson takes that hint and works his arse off to improve as much as possible.

One thing for sure is...

We will soon find out :)

papapump and REVISion like this.
  4. GREG

GREG Well-Known Member

Zach showed some flashes (potential) of being a great QB even though last season he was bad overall. He has to improve the way Allen improved from his 1st to 2nd year. Allen wasn't great in year 2 but his improvement was noticeable. We at least have to see that with Zach this season. He has to be more consistent and show everyone he has the "it" factor. Allen's first great season wasn't until year 3 so Zach has time but with the roster he has now there are no excuses. He has to take a solid step this year.

5. K'OB

You're right I keep thinking Allen improved year 2 but his big leap was 2>3 his running was still getting him the props in years 1 and 2 though.

I am hopeful for ZW, you have to be really lol

6. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

What's tough about that is we still don't know if Gase wanted some players and JD wanted others and JD relented to Gase's wishes or if they both wanted the same type of guys and those guys just stunk.

When Saleh and co. came in they had each one of the new coaches give a presentation to Jets scouts about what they look for in prospects. It seems to me that Saleh and his coaches are primarily responsible for the turnaround we've had when drafting. I guess that's an underrated aspect of hiring a coach from a traditionally competent franchise like the 49ers.

ColoradoContrails and K'OB like this.
  7. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

Allen made a pretty big leap in year two also:

Year 1

53% completion
    6.5 Y/A
    10 TDs
    12 INTs

Year 2

59% completion
    6.7 Y/A
    20 TDs
    9 INTs

I'll be pretty happy if Wilson throws 20+ TDs and stays around 10 INTs this year. That'd be a huge improvement for him.

Brook!, ouchy, Nyjets4eva and 7 others like this.
  8. K'OB

I wasn't going mad then lol

REVISion likes this.
  9. K'OB

That is also a possibility, along with JD going out and getting the players he is asked to get, etc and for me, that would be the best kind of GM, no point drafting people the HC/CS do not require.

CotcheryFan and REVISion like this.
  10. apjbfc

apjbfc Well-Known Member

to add to this,

Year two in this system. He's had 5 months training in the gym, throwing and learning the playbook. This system is well known for a 2 year bedding in period. I expect Zach to have a much clearer understanding of the playbook now, which in turn should help his decision making process.

2 - talent...... we've given Zach more draft resources around him the last two years than any jet QB in recent memory. Elevate your talent around the player to give them the best chance to succeed.

3rd - I expect a mean rushing attack. 3 RBs and jet sweep motions with our wideouts, taking pressure off the QB. This is going to be a key to our wins this year.

Zach's the guy but time, experience and help from those around him should help him step the hell up.

Sent from my M2007J20CG using Tapatalk

ColoradoContrails and Noam like this.
  11. Linebacker712

Linebacker712 Well-Known Member

I don't know if they are a playoff team yet, but if they should have enough talent at this point that if they're not at least in the playoff picture late in the season, something is wrong.

12. KingRoach

KingRoach Well-Known Member

I’m pointing out that it’s not the exact same game esp to someone who holds the ball every play. I’m not saying the ball is suddenly square but the fact that it fits in and comes out the hand differently, unsurprisingly needs some getting used to. Speed if the game, complexity of defenses, a bigger hall to throw. All these are reasons no one judges a qb after 1 year.

13. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

I'll stack my ability to tell a good QB from a bad against your's. I can't speak for anyone else.

BTW: Where did you have Mahomes ranked?

Noam likes this.
  14. WilsonJetsFan

WilsonJetsFan Well-Known Member

Agree that the accuracy problem was 100% mechanics, and the mechanics problems were a function of a rookie QB in difficult circumstances.
    Zach is a highly accurate QB by nature. He had a bowl game in which he had a 100% completion rate -- I think he was 18 for 18, and they weren't all dink-and-dunk passes either (although some were). If we get him a little protection and the game slows down for him, the mechanics and accuracy issues will solve themselves.

15. Noam

Noam Well-Known Member

Interesting that the poster/troll you quoted used arguably Zach's best game of the season against him where Zach single handily won the game for the Jets in a game they had no right to even be competitive. The jets had 3 starters on defense that game and Zach plus 3 other offensive starters (Kroft, McGovern and Carter). Not only were the Jets ravaged with injuries but with Covid. The game should never have been played the talent difference between the Jags and the players the Jets signed off the street to play made the game more like a college team playing a HS team. The Jets had no business being competitive and should have lost by 40 points. Without any skill players and without an OL Zach used his legs to and brain to win this game. I think this game was more impressive than his game against Tampa Bay because of the complete lack of NFL players playing for the Jets that week.McGovern was the only OL starter before he got injured in the game. Our best receiver that day was McDermott. On defense Shepherd led our DL in snaps followed by Rankins, Blair, Phillips and Shaq Lawson.

#155 Noam, May 5, 2022
    Last edited: May 5, 2022
  16. Noam

Noam Well-Known Member

I would tend to agree or hope. What makes me hope is his smarts, work ethic, confidence in himself and better roster.

But I am concerned about his accuracy and I think it is a legitimate concern. Until we can see him run the offense efficiently with good mechanics game in and game out it should be a concern. I have been a Jet fan for close to 60 years and I want to see it work before I buy it. I agree with what you say but still want to see it. When I see consistent QB play game after game I will buy in. Just as I don't think there is evidence to bash him for what happened last year I don't think there is evidence to assume everything will work out either. There is reason for optimism and yes context matters but one should always be concerned until we see him consistently show that he can be the QB we want. I don't think we will get the answer next year as to how good Zach is. We likely will find out that whether he is either bad or not terrible. But it likely will take years for us to see how he responds under adversity to determine if he is average, good or great. Although after the last 15 years I would be pretty thrilled with average QB play.

#156 Noam, May 5, 2022
    Last edited: May 5, 2022
  17. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

I think JD is the type that works with his coaches. I think becton was a JD pick but I know perine was a gase pick.
    for this year it sems JD and saleh was in agreement on sauce and JJ. not sure who liked wilson. hall was a MLF pick so it's cool they let the OC pick players they want too.

REVISion likes this.
  18. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

This is a fair stance to take. What I take hope from with Zach as opposed to Sam, is that Zach does have the correct mechanic, they just broke down under the pressure in the beginning, and we need to see that he can maintain them despite pressure. On that point, the last 6-7 games his mechanics did improve so I believe he'll be okay the more he plays, and the better play from those around him. Sam never had good mechanics and he never tried to work on them - he was asked about it once and he said he was happy with how his mechanics were or words to that effect. No wonder he didn't get better and regressed.

I agree - the proof will be revealed on the field.

Noam likes this.
  19. Noam

Noam Well-Known Member

The area that Sam had success and did better than Zach in year one were the off schedule plays. These wow plays were why people loved Sam. His ability to create when things broke down. But he never found success playing within the structure of the offense.

Zach is different. His first 5 games were like Sam where he was the best player on the field 2 games and the worst player on the field 2 games. All his success was from off schedule plays. He like Sam did poorly playing within the structure of the offense. Success only from playing outside the structure of the offense is simply not repeatable on a consistent basis and will lead to failure.

But, Zach's last 7 games he played well. His success was not from off schedule plays but from playing well within the structure of the offense. Executing the offense efficiently. This is something that Sam has never done and why we should have hope. Making the routine plays, get the ball out quickly and on time and keep moving the chains is what makes a QB good not the Wow plays. I don't know if he will continue this success and keep improving. At his heart I think he likes risk and try to make difficult plays. But, he seems to have gotten the message that he does not need to be the hero and making the routine plays is good. I am curious to see what Zach we get next year.

Brook!, cval and ColoradoContrails like this.
  20. K'OB

Grand, nothing to do with what I was really talking about though and something that has never been mentioned as an excuse for any other rookie on here as far as I am aware.

But the ball size and Wilson's hand size has now been noted.

No wonder some wanted comedy hands Burke in the draft ;)