Is this team, as currently constructed, a playoff quality team?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by HackettSuxTNG, May 2, 2022.

?

Is this team, as currently constructed, a playoff quality team?

1. Yes

38 vote(s)
    40.0%
  2. No

57 vote(s)
    60.0%
  1. James Hasty

James Hasty Well-Known Member

Boo hoo hoo!

Fant, AVT, and McGovern missed a few games.

Darnold didn't have one of those guys for any games.

Instead he had to rely on Kelvin Beachum, Kelechi Osemele, Jonathan Harrison, Brian Winters, and Brandon Shell.

Are any of these bums still in the league?

Don't forget his tight ends Chris Herndon and Trevon Wesco.

BrooklynJetsFan and stinkyB like this.
  2. cval

cval Well-Known Member

why do we care about Sam Darnold? I think he plays for the Panthers now. Do you not want Zach to outperform Sam? The problem with Sam is that he ver progressed and it can be argued his rookie season was his best season. If Zach's year 2 and 3 are worse than his rookie season we will be looking for another QB. I doubt that happens though but it could.

3. James Hasty

My point is that Zach can not blame his vastly improved OL as his predecessor did better with nothing.

BrooklynJetsFan likes this.
  4. IIMeanDeanII

IIMeanDeanII Well-Known Member

It's not about If they make the playoffs, right? It's about, do we have enough talent potentially to get It done?

I think that Is clearly a, yes. This roster has been shaped to give us a chance at playoff contention. We do have enough talent now to contend for that placement. Absolutely.

However..

Experience Is important. I'm not sure we get there this year until this team grows up a bit more.

Next year and beyond Is my expectation.

The talent though Is definitely there now though. IMO

KY Jets Fan, Noam and James Hasty like this.
  5. RonPi

RonPi Well-Known Member

It's unbelievable, isn't it?
    Ok, let's see....

We went 4-13 last year. FOUR AND THIRTEEN.

We just drafted 7 totally unproven players.

and...and... our QB was benched last year reportedly because he had the yips.

Of course anything could happen. But I would be satisfied with 8-9 and overjoyed with 9-8 PROVIDED it wasn't a fluke and the
    coaching staff is making smart decisions along the way.
    Ron

6. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

Don't know if this is the right thread, but IT ALL comes down to ZW.

The Zack Wilson we wanted: 6'-4", 225lbs
    The Zack Wilson we got: 5'-10", 170lbs (maybe, lol)

The Zack Wilson we wanted: Rugged frame, no injury history
    The Zack Wilson we got: Frail frame, significant injury history with surgeries and missed games/seasons

The Zack Wilson we wanted: Dominated the SEC for four years
    The Zack Wilson we got: One decent season against C+ teams, lost his only game against a good defense

After his rookie season, we are all worried. Think back to the buildup the 2021 draft. We were all trying to convince ourselves that taking Zack was going to be great. We were playing Chris Símms on loop. We were crucifying anyone who suggested we trade down and either keep Sam or try somewhere else. Fans who said "the QB class in 2022 sucks" was spot on, as we just witnessed, so not sure if JD really had much choice but to take ZW and pray. Trading Sam for a 2 which turned into Jermaine Johnson was brilliant, but drafting Zack, the jury is still out.

If ZW was the starting QB on any other team, we'd all be laughing. "Good luck with that!!!!". If Zack had been drafted by the Fish and had that rookie season, would any of us be skered that Zack is gonna rise up and become a top FQB?

We all wish Zack was bigger and stronger. We'd love for him to be 6'5" 225lbs in the Joe Burrow, Josh Allen, Andrew Luck, Manning mold. Instead, we have one in the Baker Mayfield, Johnny Football, Kyler Murrey mold. Small. I know, we love to point out Drew Brees. When we see Zack out at hockey games it looks like Feeney's mom forced him to take his little brother with him.

Now that I got that off my chest.....I really like our Oline and the offensive weapons JD as assembled. We almost HAVE to be good with all we have now. 2 years ago we needed a top 5 FQB just to have a chance....a guy so good he raises everyone around him. But now? Jets can probably win a lot of games with just a 'good' QB. Heck, even Mike White could probably get this roster into the playoffs. If Nacho could get our '09/'10 roster in, Zack Wilson SHOULD be able to get this one in too.

So, yes. ZW will play just good enough in his 2nd season to have his team at least 'real close' to making the POs.

#106 Footballgod214, May 4, 2022
    Last edited: May 4, 2022
  7. AndyDrums

AndyDrums Well-Known Member

My 2 cents on Darnold, bottom line, even though we had shit talent around him, he never EVER made anyone better around him. There were games where he looked disinterested and as though he gave up. I can recall watching the games screaming how we could not even complete a pass. It was ridiculous. Now on to the main question here. The exciting thing about this upcoming season is the fact that WE HAVE NO IDEA! They could be great, they could be mediocre, and they could suck bananas. I am not expecting greatness in the first weeks of the season with so many new players, but I am also not expecting the utter incompetence we saw in a lot of games last season. Games that stick in my craw are Denver, NE x 2, Atlanta, NO, Carolina & Darnold, Miami 2x, TB where we had no business losing that game but somehow managed to do just that. If our CS has their stuff together this could be a really fun season. Hoping they do.

James Hasty likes this.
  8. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

People here think 10 wins is right around the corner and we can even reverse our record with 13-4 and make a deep playoff run

I was lucky enough to see the Jets first and only Super Bowl....since then nothing but frustration and anger ...I guess I learned the value of patience the hard way

James Hasty likes this.
  9. Jedi mind tricks

Jedi mind tricks Well-Known Member

Until I see Wilson can complete 5-10 yards passes to wide open receivers consistently I'm gonna go with "no"

Jets79, RonPi, REVISion and 2 others like this.
  10. bicketybam

bicketybam Well-Known Member

You shouldn't drink and post. That was crap even by your standards.

11. cval

cval Well-Known Member

I am still not sure why that is relevant?

12. James Hasty

1 Thread is about the viability of the Jets as a playoff team.

2. Zack Wilson and his development as a QB are vital to the Jets making the playoffs this year (an unlikely outcome).

3. An earlier poster was using poor offensive line play as an excuse for Wilson's poor performance last year

4. Sam Darnold who is widely criticized as a poor QB on this forum had more success with a horrible offensive line, Leveon Bell, no receivers, and a new offense to learn every year

How is it not relevant to this discussion?

BrooklynJetsFan likes this.
  13. cval

cval Well-Known Member

Sam Darnold is a horrible comparison and your definition of success (Sam Darnold) is pretty poor. If you watched the games the o-line had a significant impact on how Zach performed.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  14. James Hasty

I am saying the opposite.

Sam Darnold who looks like a failure so far did much, much better here than Zach Wilson so far.

Two of our four wins last year came with Mike White and Joe Flacco starting at QB.

RonPi and BrooklynJetsFan like this.
  15. Nyjets4eva

Nyjets4eva Well-Known Member

The problem is Sam never improved from mediocre after many years . He also went to panthers who had talent everywhere and he still sucked so doubt he changes his stripes. ZW still has a chance because he only played one year and was hurt for some of it. When he did come back he looked better. So he needs to grow off the end of last year

16. James Hasty

We now have rebuilt our offensive line and added an abundance of weapons on offense.

Time for the training wheels to come off and for Zach Wilson to show us that we didn't screw up when we drafted him at # 2 overall.

It sucks that we have to wait so long to see this product on the field.

At least it give our young QB more time to figure things out.

17. BrooklynJetsFan

BrooklynJetsFan Well-Known Member

Zach Wilson is under immense pressure.

He will need to deliver real results because both White and Flacco run will probably play better with this offensive roster group as-is. As Jets fan we want to win, there's no time to pamper a young QB who can't make the transition for another season. I'll give Zach 4-5 games to prove his worth and then he needs to sit over White/Flacco – and we can draft another QB or trade, or who knows.

Note: I do like the kids passing ability over pretty much any other QB we've had in recent memory.

James Hasty likes this.
  18. cval

cval Well-Known Member

I do not remember Flacco winning a game. Sam did not look much better than Zach last season and it was his fourth.

19. NYJFOREVER

NYJFOREVER Well-Known Member

If Zach sucks, the Jets should not draft another rookie QB. Just trade the pick for a vet and be done with it.

James Hasty likes this.
  20. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

They're certainly going to re-examine what they look for in a QB if ZW doesn't make the grade. I think he will at some point but the timeframe just might be longer than the Jet braintrust and fanbase would like to see.

NYJFOREVER likes this.