Is this team, as currently constructed, a playoff quality team?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by HackettSuxTNG, May 2, 2022.

?

Is this team, as currently constructed, a playoff quality team?

1. Yes

38 vote(s)
    40.0%
  2. No

57 vote(s)
    60.0%
  1. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

The bold to me is a clear indication that you haven’t watched much of anything in total, thus your statement lacks much credibility. Every one here knows Zach has a way to go but to negate his raw talent particularly when improvising is hard to miss if you watched something beside highlights. He was much improved in the second half. So there is no if, if, if there. The only If is if folks here can not be optimistic about the many changes made to help Zach and make him better I don’t know what the off-season threads are for. To relive the past only?

#281 LAJet, May 29, 2022
    Last edited: May 30, 2022
  2. Jets79

Jets79 Well-Known Member

of course there is…but if you think playing against top teams like Clemson did is the same as playing the teams that BYU played I don’t really know what to say to that. TL had more success against tougher competition. That matters.

it’s not the only thing to evaluate obviously, but it matters.

I was using that as ONE factor among others to back up my claim that I don’t believe anyone who mattered seriously had Zach rated higher than TL. Just responding to that claim. And yah, I do get that the original claim was that “some” prominent analysts had Zach rated higher. I guess that could be true. But I don’t think any GMs had that rating. And I think most everyone else also had TL rated higher.

or to put it another way…had we done what we should have done and lost to ensure we had the top pick, is there anyone here who would have been happy to take Zach over TL? I’m guessing not too many…this board would probably have been filled with posts criticizing JD for making the wrong choice. Just guessing here as there are a lot of smart people on this board who know a lot and who watch a ton of film…but I’d say most would pick TL given the choice.

that’s all…

Brook!, REVISion and CotcheryFan like this.
  3. KingRoach

KingRoach Well-Known Member

This past draft, a team took a DE at 1 over

a DE who’d been considered a future #1 pick for years and

a DE who was runner up in Heisman voting.

Point is: anyone who claims they can see inside the minds of 32 GMs is lying to everyone but only fooling themselves.

WilsonJetsFan and LAJet like this.
  4. Losmeister

Losmeister Well-Known Member

so the D can continue to be an aboslute sieve? terrible post.

5. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

I assumed the defense improved too.

KingRoach likes this.
  6. AtlantaJet

AtlantaJet Well-Known Member

The current team with a year's more experience with some upgrades at LB and a run stuffing DT in the rotation (providing Zach turns into a solid NFL QB) is a perennial playoff team.

ColoradoContrails and KingRoach like this.
  7. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

As of this morning Las Vegas has the Jets at 6 wins for the over and under, over -110, under -120. Pretty tight betting window. I think the Jets can squeeze 6 or 7 wins

8. Jets81

Jets81 Well-Known Member

They’d have a hard time getting in if they were the only team in the division.

9. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

I think that is a fair expectation at this point in the offseason.

REVISion and LAJet like this.
  10. NYJFOREVER

NYJFOREVER Well-Known Member

Offensively, I don't really know what else Joe Douglas could have done to set Zach up for success, which will ultimately be the determining factor for how well this roster performs. He fixed the black hole at OG with Laken Tomlinson. He fixed the blackhole at TE by adding THREE really solid pass catching options and blockers in Uzomah, Conklin, and Ruckert. He got Zach another talented weapon that can play in the slot or out wide in Wilson. The icing on the cake is a homerun hitting RB in Breece Hall. Where else could Joe Douglas have added to give Zach more? Maybe an insurance policy at OT? An insurance policy at OT isn't worth the 4th overall pick (And yes, my opinion on this drastically changed).

Defensively, there are two massive holes at LB and S, in my opinion. Obviously the CS is much higher on Quincy Williams than we thought they were. The Jets added Whitehead, but they don't really have that free roaming, ballhawk FS.

With all that being said, are they playoff quality, I think they are solely based on the talent they added to their offense, but I don't think they'll be a serious contender for a WC spot. They are still a young team at many key positions, and with youth, comes growing pains. Their season CANNOT be over by Halloween. Find a way to win a September game. Cleveland with no Watson (once he's inevitably suspended) is a strong candidate. Find a way to win some damn division games, going 0-12 in the AFC East the last two years is unacceptable. Get 2-3 wins before the buy and I think the Jets are in good shape to at least be on the "In the Hunt" graphic in December (being in the hunt doesn't equal being a serious playoff contender)

11. KingRoach

KingRoach Well-Known Member

IMO, time doesn’t change construction.

Conversely “this” implies as is.

I really like how the question is left open for interpretation

Is this team, as currently constructed, a playoff quality team in 2022? Possibly, but Probably not

Is this team, as currently constructed, a playoff quality team in 2023? Most Definitely

PS Dont sleep on Pinnock at FS.

WilsonJetsFan, Nyjets4eva and Noam like this.