Is this team, as currently constructed, a playoff quality team?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by HackettSuxTNG, May 2, 2022.

?

Is this team, as currently constructed, a playoff quality team?

1. Yes

38 vote(s)
    40.0%
  2. No

57 vote(s)
    60.0%
  1. STARoSCREAM

STARoSCREAM Well-Known Member

I think the worst part of Quinns take is the 0-4 start prediction. We probably lose tothe Bengals, even though we beat them last year. The Steelers are always tough, but their QB is just as big of a question mark (if not bigger) than ours. The Browns, may not have Watson, and we would have to sell out to stop their run game for sure. And the Ravens are beatable, the problem with them is (obviously) Lamar and Andrews. Our LBs are a weakness that those 2 can exploit.

Can we go 0-4? sure. We an also start 3-1. Although, realistically, 2-2 is very likely IMO

ColoradoContrails and ouchy like this.
  2. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

I would be really pleasantly surprised if the Jets go 2-2 to start

The Jets never win in Pittsburgh and honestly Big Ben was trash last season, hanging on by a thread. They could be better without him. Going into Cleveland on their home opener, Watson or no Watson, and coming out with a win will be difficult, I dont see it happening.

So then to get to 2-2 you'd have to win both home games vs. good teams like Baltimore & Cincy. I believe it when I see it

That should be the goal though. Split those 4. It is time to start winning

Cman68 likes this.
  3. STARoSCREAM

yeesh, didn't realize it was IN Pitt. But I don't believe Trubisky is an NFL Qb.

Also, I did not mean that any of those games would be easy. But if you want to be a playoff quality team, you need to beat that level of team.

KingRoach and ouchy like this.
  4. MoWilkBeast

MoWilkBeast Well-Known Member

Well since you asked these are the things I think that need to happen for the potential playoff roster to be an actual playoff roster.

1) ZW has to take a step and show that he is a genuine starter. Protect the ball like he did towards the end of his rookie season, make plays like he did at the start, not miss on anything like the number of gimme throws as well.
    2. At least 2 out of the 3 first round rookies have to play like they belong and genuinely contribute. They don't have to be immediate stars just add value and not be liabilities. WR and CB are difficult adjusts for rookies & JJII fell and has some question about his college production beyond last year. I haven't put this same requirement on Hall, RBs find the pro transition easier generally and he was the best in class. I think he'll make an impact. Not counting on anything much out of the others beyond occasional snaps and STs.
    3. The FAs have to be as advertised - good solid pros at least.
    4. The younger players have to develop. No sophomore slump plus the likes of Becton getting back to where we thought he'd be after his rookie season.
    5. No injuries to key players at key points - eg not facing the Bills with half the OL out.
    6. The coaching staff have to show growth too.

I'm far from pessimistic but that's a lot to go right in one year. I'm not expecting it all to happen. If most of it does I'll be pretty happy because the team will be heading in the right direction.

5. bleedgreen

bleedgreen Well-Known Member

I don't think its a lot. Any of the good NFL teams went through the same points. Very few QB are stars in their first year. Not allen, Not Brees. i could go on. Highly rated rookies on other teams turned out fine. Why not the jets? Why won't the free agents repeat or improve their performances? The highly rated/drafed second year players should develop. They do on other teams. Why not the jets? Injuries, well fate has to smile once in a while. Coaching, yes, its a mystery to me. my big unknown. None of them have any track record and last year did not impress. But they do have pedigrees so lets see.

KingRoach likes this.
  6. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

Also Pitts QB could very easily be Kenny Pickett. Maybe even his first start.

7. STARoSCREAM

Still, not worried about a rookie QB in a weak class

(I am aware that he CAN come out on fire, we did that for Baker, but the odds are against him)

8. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

I meant it as a positive, catching a rookie early in his career.

STARoSCREAM likes this.
  9. Bills over Jets

Bills over Jets Jets over Bills

Please explain how a team with a “middle of the pack qb” is going to win more games than teams with elite qbs like josh Allen, deshaun Watson, joe burrow, Russell Wilson, Lamar Jackson, Justin Herbert, Patrick Mahomes, or even teams like the titans, raiders, Steelers, dolphins and patriots.

10. Nyjets4eva

Nyjets4eva Well-Known Member

Very simple if ZW takes the next steps and leap from last year then Yes if not then No

11. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

When you think about all these Threads and Coversations have one thing is common: they all take place in the imagination ..like " we should be able to beat so and so " or " how we can we not beat a vulnerable Raven or weak Pittsburgh team...?? nothing to do with play on the field , results or even stats, or Wilson showing his stuff

To me it's all wishful thinking tbh

It's just laughable that the mighty Jets were ranked second or third to last out of 32 teams in 2021 and now all of a sudden can be seriously taken ..really?

Results do all the talking and I haven't even observed a Preseason game

Cman68 likes this.
  12. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

Hope springs eternal in the offseason. Look at it this way... We're undefeated so far in April and May and I can see that non-losing streak lasting all summer long!!

#212 Cman68, May 20, 2022
    Last edited: May 20, 2022
    cval, ouchy and Noam like this.
  13. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

Since summer ends in late September, does this mean we'll win a few in the season's first month for the first time since 2018?

14. Cman68

Looking at that schedule? Not a chance in Hell. :)

15. CotcheryFan

Better to keep expectations low and the team surprises us than expect a lot only to be let down.

Noam and Cman68 like this.
  16. Cman68

Season over by Columbus Day? :)

17. CotcheryFan

Totally reasonable given how the last 2 seasons have gone. I'm hoping for a bit more.

18. Noam

Noam Well-Known Member

Woah meaningful games or game in October? Sign me up for that.

Cman68 likes this.
  19. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

I expect to start the season at least 2-2. Not sure what everyone else is seeing with our schedule that is so scary?

Ravens at home. Love starting at home and we should be ready for them. They have as many new starters as we do and they will have crowd noise. Dumped their best WR during the draft.

Browns at Cleveland, during a time when they will be in QB chaos, and an unhappy Baker (or worse) behind the line. Outside of Watson, their roster has gotten much worse.

Bengals at home. We beat them here last year, and now we have much better corners, and hopefully a much better pass rush.

Steelers in Pitt. Tribisky, Pickett, Rudolph, who's their QB? Do any of them scare you? This ain't your daddy's Steelers.

IMO that division is going to be the weakest in the AFC.

If were the team we think we are, we could, and probably should, start out at least 2-2 this year.

#219 ouchy, May 21, 2022
    Last edited: May 21, 2022
    KingRoach and bicketybam like this.
  20. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

The Ravens and Bengals are losses (lightning doesn't strike twice). Given Pittsburgh is on the road, it's a tossup. Cleveland is a loss if Watson plays, a win if Brissett plays, and probably a loss if Baker plays and isn't a total headcase. My prediction is a 1-3 start, though I think 2-2 is more likely than 0-4.

Brook! and BrowningNagle like this.