Is this team, as currently constructed, a playoff quality team?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by HackettSuxTNG, May 2, 2022.

?

Is this team, as currently constructed, a playoff quality team?

1. Yes

38 vote(s)
    40.0%
  2. No

57 vote(s)
    60.0%
  1. Noam

Noam Well-Known Member

No reason to lie. Look we all get it. You hate Zach with everything in your being and you will post whatever gibberish you can think of to cherry pick your points. But once again you have gone beyond the bounds of reality in your efforts to troll the board. Jacksonville was not missing as many starters as the Jets. They were not missing anywhere near 15 starters. We had to sign people off the street and play them to field a team. Will Parks was signed off the street during the week and took 86 percent of the snaps at safety The game should have been cancelled and should not have been competitive. The only starters we had on offense were Zach, Carter, Kroft and McGovern who got injured. We had 3 defensive starters. Our DL snaps were led by Shepherd, Rankins then Ronald Blair, Kyle Phillips, Shaq Lawson. Some guy named Freedom Akinmikadun took 29 percent of the defensive snaps for us while Tim Ward took 19 percent. We had no OL, no skill players other than Carter and Zach. I would argue that Zach played much better against Jax by using his brains and legs than he did against Tampa.

#181 Noam, May 7, 2022
    Last edited: May 7, 2022
  2. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

I really don't appreciate you saying "I hate Zach" every time I correct a ridiculous over estimation of his season. That's not trolling, which you are calling me simply for correcting you.

Did Zach have a decent game? Sure. Did he "single handedly win the game" we should have lost by 40 points, while leading a high school level team. Give me a break dude. That is childish. We had no o-line, except for McGovern, AVT, Fant, and Moses, and our two backs rushed for 181 yards at a 6.1 ypc - our best of the year. And again, the difference in the game was a 102 yard kick return by Berrios.

I didn't say you lied. I said it was green goggles - something we have all been guilty of sometimes. Your post was the definition of it. Your follow up is doubling down and being butt hurt for somebody correcting you with reality. If you cant handle being corrected put me on ignore because I'm really not interested in hearing your personal insults. Or try posting accurately and not some wild fantasy you made up.

#182 ouchy, May 7, 2022
    Ralebird and James Hasty like this.
  3. Noam

Noam Well-Known Member

Again you lie and make things up. AVT did not play. McGovern was the only OL starter that played against Jax. The rest were backups. We had our 2nd string LT, Van Rotten, Feeney had to play McDermott had to come in for Moses when he got injured. And yes you are a troll. Your posts are made up of fantasy driven by hate. You cherry pick everything you post.

#183 Noam, May 7, 2022
    cval and BradysTornACL like this.
  4. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

Who is this 5'10" highschooler?

5. KingRoach

KingRoach Well-Known Member

Ouchy doesn’t lie, he just has a problem with facts, logic and reality. No QB will ever win a game singlehanded unless he figures out a way to throw the ball to himself as well as play D.

cval, Nyjets4eva and Noam like this.
  6. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

If I make a mistake I can admit it. Like, if I said something as ridiculous as "Zach single handedly beat the Jags", or, "we should have lost to them by 40 points", I'd come to my senses and admit it was silly. Not double down to try and defend it. We were at home, playing the worst team in the league, who just ran their HC out of town, and favored to win.

I'm looking at the IR for the game and AVT isn't on it. He may have missed it, I'm not digging into game logs. If he actually did miss it, I am mistaken. You claim that McGovern was the only starter that played that day, and than admit Mose started. If I do dig through the game logs will I find Fant played? If he did - does that mean your a LIAR? (Or a hate filled liar?)

Your whole injury rant is to distract from the fact that we had our best rushing game of the year against Jax. Our two backs had 30 carries for 181 yards. That's 79 more yards than Zach threw - for those keeping track of the miracle savior of the Jacksonville game. Saying we had no o-line is silly. No, silly is to nice of a word after 3 posts. Saying that is stupid. Our O-line won the battle up front all day. If they could have only had that much success all year is closer to the truth.

#186 ouchy, May 7, 2022
    Last edited: May 9, 2022
  7. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

One more thing.

I've been a Jets fan since 1972, and been on this board for 16 years. Seen the highs and lows, suffered and rejoiced with this team for 50 years. I'm pretty sick of posters like you who try to define my level of fandom whenever it disagrees with their opinion. If the Jets start winning I'll be the happiest poster here, and it will mean a lot more to me than it does to you. Either way, I wont try to tell you what your attachment to the Jets is.

abyzmul and HomeoftheJets like this.
  8. Noam

Noam Well-Known Member

What I disagree with is you post garbage without logic. 95% of time you have no clue what you are talking about. You know almost nothing about football. You do no research and when you find one thing you blow it out of proportion and say the world is ending. You don't read much at all about the Jets. You routinely post incorrect information. You lack basic understanding of logic or context. You draw definitive conclusions that should never be made. I don't want to call you an idiot so instead I will just infer it. Occasional, idiotic garbage is fine but you seem to be in some manic phase where your Zach Wilson hate obsession has caused you to have to regurgitate more unpleasant idiocy.

BradysTornACL likes this.
  9. fansince90

fansince90 Well-Known Member

They need to win at least 7 games for me to remain a fan. This is my make or break year.

Yankjetfan likes this.
  10. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

According to you:
    1. Zach single handedly beat Jacksonville.
    2. We should have lost to them by 40 points.
    3. Zach was leading a high school team against a college team.
    4. McGovern was the only starter on the o-line to play.
    5. Our best receiver that day was McDermott

According to reality:
    1. Our RB out gained Zach by almost 2 to 1. Carter average more per carry than Zach did per completion! In fact, Berrios got as many yards and TDs on 1 kick return as Zach got passing the entire game.
    2. We were favored to win at kickoff. Not 40 point underdogs.
    3. Even reality thinks this is to deluded to respond to.
    4. Moses played 84% of the snaps and Fant played 100%.
    5. McDermott caught 1 pass for 1 yard. Well behind Cole and Berrios.

But stick with your knowledge, research, and quality posts dude. Who am I to argue with the only true Jets fan.

#190 ouchy, May 7, 2022
  11. JETFUEL1580

JETFUEL1580 Well-Known Member

Got here pretty late but a very fair question. I think on paper they could be a fun darkhorse. Nobody predicted what Cincy did last year after all, but all biased aside probably not. A lot is gonna dependent on Zach Wilson's progression and obviously health. Health goes without saying I know, but I'm interested to see how much Zach has improved. Can't be much worse then he was last year. We have a lot of key position young guys which if history has proved doesn't mean we can't win a bunch of games, but I want to stay level headed and see great progression. We're in a competitive division and are setup to be a true player for the first time in years with the potential of our roster. Potential being the key word. I've stated before 7-8 wins this season is the bar I'm setting if everything clicks together IMO.

12. fansince90

fansince90 Well-Known Member

After reading most of the comments I think it’s clear that we have collected enough talent to be competitive. The question is do we have the coaches to put the talent in position to be successful? I was listening to Warren Sapp explain how well his team was coach and how the defense had talent down the middle. Nose, linebacker, and safety. He talked about their study habits, talent and high expectations. If the players take the responsibility upon themselves to study and learn their opponents it will May mask flaws that may exist amongst our coaches.

13. Noam

Noam Well-Known Member

Since you incapable of reading posts I will state it again. We started one starting OL and 7 seven total opening day starters with 15 injured in a game where the entire team was decimated with Covid. Any team missing 75 percent of their starters should not be able to compete with a NFL team. Take 75 percent of the starters form the Jets and yes they should lose by 40 to anyone. In regards o the OL.
    1. LT - Becton was injured. Our back-up LT Fant was also injured but played through it.
    2. AVT had Covid
    3. McGovern our only starter played until he got injured.
    4. LDT was injured and GVR played.
    5. Our back-up RT Moses played until he got injured.

The fact that your ignorant, lazy, lack knowledge, don't read and keep yourself informed, don't watch film study and have no idea how ignorant your posts does not bother me. Sadly, that is pretty normal on the internet. What I find offense with is your self righteous crusade calling people crazy or stupid when they actually do research, follow the game read articles and right logical well thought out posts. While you just rant on ignorant of your mistakes, misinformation and lack of knowledge. It is one thing to be stupid. Welcome to America. It is another thing to be stupid and a self righteous asshole calling out people that do actual work and write thoughtful posts based on research. I have long resisted the idea of calling you a troll as I thought your opinions were genuine but lacking knowledge, effort and understanding of basic logic. In other words I thought you were a well meaning fool. But, lately I have noticed your posts have become nasty and self righteous. Attacking people that do actual work before they post. So ironic. You are now where you belong on ignore. But, there are lots of others you can troll and tell them how they are wrong and then you can list a bunch of incorrect facts explaining why they were wrong. Then express outrage when they disagree with you and yet another person will put you on ignore.

14. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

Oh - you meant "opening day" starters on the OL. Silly me. I thought you meant our actual starters from the previous 14 games. My mistake. I'll work on my post reading capability.

Well of course that game should have been cancelled. How could the league force us to play with so many non opening day starters on the OL, or our roster. Once again the league screwed us over, and I understand why you felt violated. To add insult to injury they actually had us favored to win, in some discriminatory plot to make us look bad. Fortunately Zach prevented the 40 point beat down we were heading for at home against the mighty Jags, and threw it all in their faces. Hah! #MyQB

You do realize, however, that GVR was an opening day starter and LDT was brought in as an upgrade mid season, and Fant started at RT opening day. Of course you do. Nobody works harder than you around here. Your research, film study, and well informed, logical, totally unbiased, opinions have been invaluable to the Jets success and my flowering knowledge of football, And the fact that you handle disagreement with your opinions so well makes you an example for the board.

#194 ouchy, May 8, 2022
    Last edited: May 8, 2022
  15. hoobash

hoobash Well-Known Member

Until they prove it I am no but I really want to be a yes

16. HackettSuxTNG

HackettSuxTNG Well-Known Member

This....

https://www.audacy.com/wfan/sports/...B9C4igl4N62S1VxQpI5ZeIcD_EA-Jfi45sCrm55sWupfI

Brady Quinn sees tough season for Jets, Zach Wilson: 'Unbelievably difficult schedule'

"I've got the Jets going under this number at five wins," Quinn said. "Their season is going to be over before they get to the bye. That's just the reality of it. Their bye comes at November 13, and they've got to play the entire AFC North to start the season. They might go 0-4, and then you've got that winnable game vs. the Dolphins. ... They're going to feel pretty desperate, pretty beat up after an 0-4 start. Then the Packers, a trip out to the Denver Broncos with Russell Wilson. The Patriots, the Bills -- I mean there's a realistic scenario where they're 1-8 here, maybe 0-9."

17. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

It's not a crazy take; Vegas has the Jets at 5.5 wins. It's more likely than the median prediction on here.

18. bleedgreen

bleedgreen Well-Known Member

The answer is yup, depending. If ZW makes a leap, ifno catastrophic injuries, if the coaches can apply whatever they learned, than yes. Now i have reada bunch of silly back and forth posts, but it is sillyseason right, so ok.
    Many people seem to want "proof" that thejets new players will be able to lift the team. I mean all the new guys, not just drafted players. A legitimate but very conservative view. Buffet's main dictum isbe brave when others are fearful. You know he is implying if the entity is solidly built, than the future will prove itself. I believe the jets are solidly built and if my ifs come true, than 10 or more wins. The proof will either be on the field or not.

And i have been a jets fan longer than anybody. I can only be tied by other old people

MoWilkBeast likes this.
  19. MoWilkBeast

MoWilkBeast Well-Known Member

I think the OP title is probably missing one word: potential. Does the roster have the potential to be play off quality? Yes, I think it does. However quite a few things have to click for this to happen, and for all of them to come together is probably unlikely so a season of mediocrity and being generally competitive is probably more likely.

K'OB likes this.
  20. bleedgreen

bleedgreen Well-Known Member

I just don't get the pessimism. What has to click other than ZW, injuries and coaches? Sure, if just one of these factors doesn't happen then we are screwed. But I don't think its asking for a lot.
    ZW-Douglas and staff had months to look at every QB option. They knew they absolutely had their choice minus Lawrence. They have much more experience evaluating players than anyone on this board. Could they have made a mistake?..of course. But for a variety of reasons which I and others have posted before, we must throw out last season as any indicator of future ZW performance.
    Injuries-All teams get them but last year's jets injuries were devastating (maybe silver lining in Fant and potentially others). We should not expect this to happen again this year. Of course it could.
    Coaches-first year learning curve via coaching, applied to a huge number of inexperienced players also learning. both coaching and playing should get better with experience. Why do people think the players cant play to their potential? Why do people think becton won't be good? Beats me. He only played one year and showed great promise. People just like to Make Stuff Up about him and conditioning for the upcoming season. Avt also showed great promise. Tomlinson all-pro. Fant and Mcgovern were fine. Offense has very nice potential with new receivers, runners, line play and ZW, if he makes leap. defense has added many players. Should be considerably improved,
    So all in all we need to adopt a "I expect a very good season so show me" attitude. If the ifs prove out, they will show us.