Is the Jets Defense Overrated?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by HackettSuxTNG, Dec 19, 2022.

1. Jeff M

Jeff M Well-Known Member

D is average at best without Williams.

IMHO, far too much Zach criticism relating to yesterday's loss. The real killers were:

1. Another punt return TD - inexcusable. Like once wasnt bad enough.
    2. D has another game without getting a TO.
    3. Utter failure of D at crunch time. 51 yard TD to a never used TE - inexcuseable. Could have afforded to give up the first down at midfield - cant leave deep unprotected. Who made that D call ????
    4. No running game.
    5. Total misuse of TOs by Saleh on the last drive. Cant leave TOs on the table & have to settle for a 58 yard attempt because no time on the clock. Zach's 20 yard completion was huge to even get us that attempt.
    6. Williams injury - really killing this D.

Zach made quite a few big plays and quite a few gaffs, but bottom line - he had us in position to win. And that was with no running game and the D not getting him any extra possessions.

Make no mistake it was the D and Saleh who blew this game at crunch time.

Saleh is a young coach and he will make mistakes along the way, so dont take this critique as my feeling he hasnt done a very good overall job, but yesterday the end of game management wasnt there.

2. Losmeister

Losmeister Well-Known Member

thats NOT what this thread is about, BLAMING THE LOSS.

otherwise the thread would be titled- Lions loss- whose to blame, D or O?

its about categorizing where this D stands league wide. no more.

cos, yeah, you ARE correct. that with a DECENT offense some of these L's would be W's. No doubt.

HackettSuxTNG likes this.
  3. HackettSuxTNG

HackettSuxTNG Well-Known Member

Much appreciated.

Losmeister likes this.
  4. Unhappyjetsfan

Unhappyjetsfan Well-Known Member

It is both good and overrated. It appeared elite when we had a running game that was eating up the clock and keeping them off the field. When that running game was taken away, the defense was not enough to win games by itself. Elite defenses win games by itself (85 Bears, 02 Bucs, 00 and 06 Ravens); we're not there. We can't consider ourselves the best defense in the league when half the teams (14) have given up less touchdowns than we have.

5. DetroitRed

DetroitRed Well-Known Member

Answer is simple. Just a good unit without QW. Possibly the best with him

6. JETFUEL1580

JETFUEL1580 Well-Known Member

I agree with Benigno, and I'm not normally a Joe guy.

papapump and Cman68 like this.
  7. JETFUEL1580

JETFUEL1580 Well-Known Member

The defense is a tad bit overrated. We are not great by any standards. We don't get enough pressure on the QB's. Teams running on us is also very suspect or at least has been as the season progressed. Everything is up to the secondary which isn't fair, they have done a good job overall. I looked at that 49er defense last Thursday and was like wow that would be nice. Look at how they pressure that QB, and make him uncomfortable time after time after time. Jared Goff at times had all day to throw, and luckily he's Jared Goff and didn't do much with that time. I get big Q was out yesterday and he is the center piece of our defense not Sauce, or Mosley for that matter. Where are the big game changing turnovers great defenses deliver in big spots? Interception, sack strip something that ignites our offense when they are stagnant which is another problem. Stat guys please again give me your overall numbers on our defense and how they are keeping teams below a certain number? I get we don't get blown out which is great, but we lack playmaking ability on the defensive side of the ball. Plain and simple.

8. george sakell

george sakell Well-Known Member

Without Q they gave up 10 points to a top 5 offense, they are definately not overatted, and granted their Qb goes 3 and out every possession besides the games Mike White started and they probally see the field more than any other defense they may be the #1 defense.

9. AtlantaJet

AtlantaJet Well-Known Member

It's a very good defense, but it needs to create more turnovers.

papapump likes this.
  10. Jets69

Jets69 Well-Known Member

They're very good, but lack in a lot of areas, DE are extremely overrated, the way the fanbase over exaggerated Carl Lawson, thought we had Reggie White, take aways are a major issue, but they're young and full of piss and vinegar

But in reality, what else is the selling point for the Jets? The offense is terrible

papapump and JETFUEL1580 like this.
  11. BudJet

BudJet Well-Known Member

If your talking the 4th & 1 TD, it wasn't CJ'S man, it was Quincy as showed by Bart Scott on the post game show. Bart said at first glance it looks like CJ's man, but further looking at the play it was Quincy 's man.

papapump likes this.
  12. IIMeanDeanII

IIMeanDeanII Well-Known Member

We do not have an Elite defense. An Elite defense shuts the door In moments like we seen against the Lions.

However.. They have been the strength of this team all year. They are very good. They are Top 5 In the NFL. IMO

That doesn't make them the 85 bears though. They are good enough to win a Super Bowl. They are not good enough to carry us there alone. Not yet.

JETFUEL1580, abyzmul and papapump like this.
  13. Jedi mind tricks

Jedi mind tricks Well-Known Member

It's a strong unit but I do think it's been overrated. Helped we played so many back up QBs early on as well.
    We need a true all pro edge rusher and we have to get younger at LB.

With all that said the Jets have been a joke for years now and this defense singlehandedly earned us some respect around the league

JETFUEL1580, abyzmul and papapump like this.
  14. JackBower

JackBower Well-Known Member

The numbers are pretty impressive. I think the proper term is they might be hitting above their weight class.

Our CB trio, with a rookie and 2nd year QB, are arguably best in the NFL. We also have a top 2 DT in Quinnen and a probably a top 5 defensive line and we don't even have a dominant edge rusher.

I think they need to make an upgrade at linebacker and possibly draft a safety to develop.

15. Section 336

Section 336 Well-Known Member

If they are in the top 5 in the NFL, then they are elite.
    Being Elite in any given year doesn’t necessarily equate to or mean an All Time great defense.

16. NJJets

NJJets Well-Known Member

Is it a dominating world class defense to be honored with teams like the 85 Bears? No. Is it a Super Bowl winning team caliber Defense? Absolutely.

IIMeanDeanII likes this.
  17. Get me the Damn Ball

Get me the Damn Ball Well-Known Member

It's very good but not elite. Our Dline is elite, Secondary is very good, and LBs are medicore. We need to elevate our LB group in order to become elite

JETFUEL1580 likes this.
  18. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Medicore. That is champ69's favorite genre of music.

19. Linebacker712

Linebacker712 Well-Known Member

It's a very good defense, bordering on elite. As others have said, we need a few more upgrades at edge rusher and linebacker. My main concern is the playcalling. We're still giving up a lot of big plays, particularly on 3rd and 4th down, and I don't like that Ulbrich never likes to call blitzes. Honestly, the 03 Bucs or 85 Bears defense would have trouble with a lot of these play calls.

abyzmul likes this.
  20. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

I don't like that he never blitzes but I am fully onboard with carrying 10 and dressing 8 DL, can see as the game goes on rhat the other team's OL is running out of gas while the Jets DL is still full wind and aggressive.. They were talking about it during the Detroit game, that rotation was really wearing down the Bears Lions OL even though they weren't nearly as effective without Big Cuddly on the field.

They have have good enough corners to go man press on a 6 man blitz if they want to, I don't like the lack of flexibility. They don't need to do it all the time but damn.

#40 abyzmul, Dec 19, 2022
    Last edited: Dec 20, 2022