Is Shonn Greene ready to explode ?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by dcm1602, Jun 3, 2011.

1. Cakes

Cakes Mr. Knowledge 2010

I can see something like 1100 rushing yards and 8 touchdowns for Greene. I will not be surprised one bit, though, if Powell gets major playing time down the stretch. Relative to other positions, RB is one of the easiest to learn. It's not like he's a QB and has to sit and learn and what not.

I suspect Tomlinson will be entrenched in the 3rd down role and McKnight is a loopy son of a bitch. Greene has a bit of a fumbling problem and is not the most durable player. I really think Powell may see significant action down the stretch like Ahmad Bradshaw in 2007 and James Starks in 2010.

2. Coach K

Coach K New Member

ive echoed this to a few other people

Powell is a steal and it will show sooner than later.

3. jetsons

jetsons Well-Known Member

I think you made a mistake, I would have certainly taken Hillis over Greene, Schotty runs a rb by committee system (& he runs it terribly). Why didn't you just stick with your guy (Stephen Jackson), he's a workhorse & will most likely outgain them both.

4. jetsons

Hopefully sooner because he's done zero in the preseason.

5. TommyGreen

TommyGreen Trolls

Greene also has a bit of an injury problem. I'd be extremely happy if he were to surpass 1,000 yards this season, which is only around 60 yards a game on average.

6. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

Ftr, the Jets gained the fourth most rushing yards in the league last year's regular season. For yards per attempt they were tied for eighth with 4.4.

"terribly"

7. Andy_M

Andy_M Well-Known Member

Football math.......I like it......:up:

8. Andy_M

Andy_M Well-Known Member

I think it takes at least a full season and an off season before a RB is built up enough and conditioned right for the NFL game. There aren't many AP's out there.

9. jetsons

For a team that's dedicated to run the ball with its "ground & pound" rushing attack being ranked 8th in yards per attempt isn't so great. And YES schotty runs it TERRIBLY, if he ran it properly we'd probably be 1st.

10. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

Not really. This was a team with a second year Qb. And a tremendous D. Opponents knew the Jets were going to tend more than most to run on first and second downs. That affects the YPC. You're not talking a huge spread on YPC, either in the top 8. 4.4 for YPC is not bad at all. Certainly not terrible, particularly in light of the situation with Sanchez.

11. Organized Chaos

Organized Chaos Well-Known Member

Disclaimer: I love Shonn Greene (nohomo). I like how he runs and how he plays the game.

Fantasy wise: Bad Trade. I'd take Hillis over Greene this season. Greene tends to get hurt. He lost his job to LDT last season partially because Tomlinson was running well, but I've also got the feeling the coaching staff isn't all that high on Greene despite the public pronouncements. They drafted Joe Mcknight in 2010, and then Powell in 2011. The Jets O-Line isn't as good as it was in 2010 with the loss of pro-bowler Damien Woody. The Jets also didn't resign pro-bowl fullback Tony Richardson. Yes, the terminator can blow people up. Is he really as good as T-Rich though? We will see.

In addition the Jets are claiming they will pass more this season. It's somewhat believable as the Jets may be stronger at WR, and if Sanchez improves in year 3 as much as he did in year 2 he could easily make the move to a 3500 yard 28 td/ 10 int type QB. If the Jets do pass more often, LDT will probably be on the field as he is a much better pass catcher than Greene.

Of course I'm rooting for Greene, but I wouldn't draft him ahead of Hillis in my fantasy league.

#71 Organized Chaos, Sep 7, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 7, 2011
  12. MightyQuinn

MightyQuinn New Member

You could also argue though that Hillis plays just as violently and that makes him susceptible to injury. Last year, I could've sworn I saw him as "Questionable" every week with some sort of ailment. I also think they're going to involve Montario Hardesty a lot more this year not only to protect Hillis, but also because they invested a second round pick and actually traded two others to go up and grab him.

Greene is in the much better offense and I still like his offensive line (the Browns lost Steinbach for the year). The only thing holding him back is a full workload but I could take that as long as he's getting the carries down by the goalline. If it's anyone other than him then I have no idea why they hype him up every off season if he's just going to be a cog in a committee full of backs.

13. jetsons

ok, I get it, you like schotty, I don't.

14. ukilledkenny

ukilledkenny You bastards!

I think he just prefers the criticism be valid.

15. Organized Chaos

Organized Chaos Well-Known Member

Yup, I also saw him get 1600 yards rushing/receiving and 13 tds. I've never seen that from Greene. I also saw him start most of his games.

They should, but Hardesty didn't look good in preseason. He didn't even have a season last year. Can he pass block? Is Hardesty as much of a threat to Hillis as Tomlinson is to Greene? Tomlinson is a past-his prime hall of fame back, Hardesty is basically a rookie since he missed last season.

Obviously they both carry risk, but I'd be more scared of Greene.

The Jets basically rotate LDT in because Greene can't catch the football. It's something he's been working on and getting better at. I think Greene is a better goal line back than Tomlinson, I think Tomlinson is overhyped in that role at this point in his career but the coaching staff does seem to go Tomlinson at the goalline.

Rex was hyping Vernon Gholston. The Jets coaches always hype up their players. They're going to go with whatever RB combinations win them games.

16. Coach K

Coach K New Member

I would attribute that to poor OL play. It was a product of the lockout. Also powell has never run behind our full starting OL.

17. Coach K

Coach K New Member

Lol I forgot I even made that post. Least someone appreciated it

18. soxxx

soxxx Trolls

I think that fumble PISSED Rex off. Rex REALLY wanted to win that game and we were in position to beat the Ravens and seal the deal by going up 9-0 or 13-0. Instead he fumbles, then they end up scoring a TD from that fumble and going up 7-6.

The Ravens had no right really winning that game, Braylon hitting the kicker and giving them a first down was another huge mistake in that game. I think though we proved we are the better team than the Ravens by outlasting them the last two seasons. Revenge will be coming soon for them, and once when Ray Lewis and Ed Reed retire the Ravens will be nothing because Flacco cant carry jackshit.

19. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

And now you're a mod!!!!!

Now you can ban him for a whole season!!

Do it! Do it now!

20. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

He should get at least that. He had almost 800 yards last year and he wasn't the featured back, LT was.