Is Robert Saleh the right person for the job?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by NYJ1970, Oct 24, 2021.

1. dawinner127

dawinner127 Well-Known Member

Oof. I had no idea they replaced him with that Cavanaugh. Yikes

abyzmul likes this.
  2. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

Hold on... Corey Davis isn't a rookie. Quentin Williams isn't a rookie, VanRotten isn't a rookie, Jamison Crowder and Keenan Cole are not rookies. Becton isn't a rookie. The only rookie on the OL is AVT. There are no rookies on the DLine. Not many in the LB corps. Only the Secondary are rookies and they're playing fairly well up until yesterday. Rookie RB's? yes. Elijah Moore? yes but he's not a factor. Mims? not a rookie. The CS has been employed by other NFL teams so they're really not rookies either.

Lets find another excuse for the trainwreck okay?

NCJetsfan and Ralebird like this.
  3. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

My other problem with Saleh is that yes, my first instinct was correct, he is a boy scout.

I like that he is an educator and mentor but dude, stop romanticizing your situation and concentrate on winning football games. Analogies and lessons about adversity are great but if you don't mix in a little killer instinct, Bill Belichick will embarrass you out of a job before you get a chance to teach your foundational life lessons or whatever BS is going on in those classrooms.

For someone that preaches a lot of basic fundamentals, that poor excuse for tackling and disengaging blocks we saw yesterday didn't look like a professional football team to me. They looked like background animation.

NCJetsfan, ouchy, Acad23 and 4 others like this.
  4. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

Our current OC has won 17% of his games. Cavanaugh as OC in ten years with three teams won 49% and a ring or two.

5. Linebacker712

Linebacker712 Well-Known Member

How is it nonsense?

6. cval

cval Well-Known Member

How come after every loss it is blow everything up? This is why the Jets suck there is no long term vision. QB has a bad game, he sucks bench him draft the other guy . A player drafted does not work out fire the GM. The team plays poorly fire the coach.

The sad part is the coach and the QB are in their first year. This insanity has to stop. This team is coming off a 2 win season there is a big talent issue on this team.

To the game. If you actually watched this game and came away with Zach sucks or it is the o-line faults I am not sure what to tell you. This game was 100% on the defense. I will hand it to Josh McDaniels he out coached our guys and we had no answers. You can't let a team score on every drive. The sad part it was runs up the gut and screens. That is how you make a rookie QB look great. Why the hell where we starting Sherwood. What has he dome to show that he could handle that. Combine the talent gap with being outcoached yo get the score we got.

No, You don't fire the coaching staff over it but you do not give them a pass either.

Offense- The offense was not great but Zach was playing pretty well and made some great throws. In actuality they had no chance. This offense is not good enough to play from behind, to place any blame on Zach is ridiculous the kid was out their fighting trying to make plays. I can't blame Lefleur either the Pats have a great D we have a mediocre offense. We needed the D to keep this close .

This game was an embarrassment but the over reaction is amazing. We need more and better players to have a chance. Our linebacker core and O-line is where we need to start . Playing Safeties at MLB is not a great idea. Saleh got lucky that it worked once in SF but lightning does strike twice.

It could be worse. We could be the Dolphins.

On to next week.

MoWilkBeast and Falco21 like this.
  7. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

This answer is easy, I have no fucking clue, just like everyone else. If the team looks this shitty after the 2023 season we’ll know the answer.

NYJetsO12 and cval like this.
  8. Falco21

Falco21 Well-Known Member

Further to your comment, I think people are also underestimating the power Knapp was holding prior to his death. I truthfully don't think the Jets made it a point to sign a veteran QB simply because they had Knapp. Now after he passed, that's a different story.

I also think people are underestimating the power Knapp had over Lafleur as well. Losing him was a kick in the balls on so many levels and really has spun this entire offense for a loop. It's going to take some time to recover and I don't think Lafleur may be able to.

9. Falco21

It is funny because the same people who do this are the same ones who complain when things fall off the rails.

There are two reasons why this franchise has sucked for so long:

1. Poor drafts.
    2. Zero continuity.

You can not expect a team to succeed in the NFL if you draft poorly and you have a revolving door with the staff.

If a rookie head coach with a rookie QB doesn't succeed in 6 games, you logically think the answer is to fire him? He got embarrassed, big deal. He's a rookie head coach facing a hall of fame head coach who has been coaching for 30+ years.

The offense struggles? No shit. A rookie is behind center with receivers he is playing with for the first time and a rookie offensive coordinator.

The defense struggles? Yeah, our signal caller and middle linebacker was out and we had to rely on a rookie to take his place.

Firing our head coach after 6 games would prove that this franchise is doomed for years to come. It is incredible, in my opinion, that we are legitimately discussing firing our head coach after 6 games. Absolutely incredible

cval likes this.
  10. Ralebird

Would all those who actually think the head coach should be fired after six games please stand up?

Would anyone who really believes a quarterback only gets six games to prove himself please raise your hand?

I'll check back later today but I expect...crickets.

What's the point of these strawman arguments?

HomeoftheJets likes this.
  11. cval

cval Well-Known Member

Are you not reading the threads? Because you must be extremely lazy as there are literally threads titled Fire Saleh, Draft another QB, Fire JD. I am not sure WTF you are talking about?

bicketybam likes this.
  12. JetUp55

JetUp55 Member

13. Falco21

LOL!

14. FrontOfficeFanatic

FrontOfficeFanatic Well-Known Member

The only way I would fire Saleh before the 2 year mark is if we could land a true reformer like a Dungy, Cowher, Matt Campbell etc. Otheriwse you're just taking the same risk on an unproven commodity as you have right now.

Those upper level minds don't come to the Jets so we wont have to worry about making that decsion.

The only way we were going to land an elite level staff was getting TL

15. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

ALL GAS, NO BRAKE often has bad endings if you dont know how to steer......

NYJetsO12 and NCJetsfan like this.
  16. Ralebird

Read beyond the titles; this is not Twitter, there's a whole lot of content underneath. Is there really anyone calling for Saleh to be fired today? I know a couple of weeks ago one of the silver lining guys had a bad day and called for everyone in the state of New Jersey to get fired but he cooled down by late Monday or early Tuesday. Douglas is a different story - he's no rookie a third of the way into his third season and his production has been poor by any measure. "Draft Another Quarterback" doesn't mean Wilson's time is up since there's no draft until next April, it just means the Jets might need to look at other options - is that out of the question? How does all this get conflated into some big group of people looking to totally clean house and start over that you constantly bring up?

On the other hand, if I have missed some serious posts from a bunch of guys who are claiming all these people should be fired today, it should be easy for you to point them out. Let's see how many of them answer the call to stand up by tonight or tomorrow.

17. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

Saleh is like a life coach who stumbled into a head coaching gig. I have seen very little from him so far.

All the platitudes are just nauseating when the product on the field is so bad. It feels like Saleh wants the players to like him more than he wants the team to win.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  18. REVISion

Do you think it's a coincidence that the "fire everyone" crowd has almost always been correct over the last decade? We've been a very bad team for a very long time, we know what bad football and coaching look like. I watch good teams every Sunday alongside the Jets, we are nowhere close to them.

Holding onto bad coaches is no less debilitating to a franchise than constantly firing them. It's very clear that Saleh and LaFleur are not fit for the job so far. That could change, sure, but I don't know what good reason we have to think it will.

Good coaches turn around bad teams very quickly. This team not only hasn't improved, it's somehow worse than with Gase.

19. cval

cval Well-Known Member

Was Rex a bad a coach? Was Bolles a bad coach? Both of them are not bad coaches but being a head coach is different. You do have to give these guys a chance to succeed or fail. Unfortunately, this season is a throw away season we have all hoped for better play. On Defense going in we all thought it was the corners we had to worry about boy where we all wrong. This team has talent problem.

Saleh and Ulbrich got embarrassed by Josh Daniels and a Rookie QB yesterday. That is very hard to take. Saleh has been around a few good coaches lets hope he has learned something and will grow from this.

LeFleur was hard to judge yesterday but he sucked on the first drive and Zach bailed him out on the second but when you are getting blown out it is tough to call good plays. I do not know if Saleh is the guy but it will take at least two seasons to find out .

I am a Zach believer and think he was the steal of the draft.

20. REVISion

This team has far less of a talent problem than it did last year yet we're just as bad if not worse. That's on coaching. Gase was a horrible coach but he did more with less than Saleh and co. have. What does that tell you about their aptitude?

I'm not out on Zach yet either. He's shown at least some glimpses of good play. Saleh and LaFleur have shown me basically nothing good so far.

We need to seriously consider if it's good for our players to spend additional time under a coaching staff that is clearly in over their heads. The Browns knew immediately that Kitchens sucked so they dumped him ASAP and have improved significantly as a result.

I swear so many people fall into the "continuity" trap. Teams have continuity because their coaches are good, not the other way around.