Is Robert Saleh the right person for the job?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by NYJ1970, Oct 24, 2021.

1. tomdeb

tomdeb Well-Known Member

I think so far he is a BAD coach. I really don't think he has any handle/control of his players. I read this week that Zach Wilson was quoted about it being "a blast" to face Belicheck again, or something like that. If QB Bart Starr EVER said that publicly before a game about another team, Lombardi would bench his ass. I think Saleh looks like a "cheerleader" coach who installs absolutely NO discipline on his players. They look like the most undisciplined team on the planet. Oh, and it is never a good idea to hire your best friend as your OC. Lafleur is so far over his head and Saleh is to blame! Hey Zach, did you have "a blast" out there today?

2. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

I honestly can't think of anyone or anything that stood out as good.

NYJetsO12 and tomdeb like this.
  3. Falco21

Falco21 Well-Known Member

No, this was a bad loss against an average team. Our defense looked like Swiss cheese. We had zero pressure. And we had a shit ton of injuries including Zach Wilson.

Nothing good about this game. Absolutely nothing.

NoodleArm, PJ4Ever, LAJet and 2 others like this.
  4. tomdeb

tomdeb Well-Known Member

Totally agree, but they will hang onto Saleh until end of 2022--that is when Gase's contract comes off the books. The jets will hire a new coach, but still have to pay Saleh for 2 more years. Same thing with Bowles and MacCagnan (got paid by jets for two more years after being fired).

5. cmcm750203

cmcm750203 Well-Known Member

Do we REALLY have more talent? As bad as Sam is, he’s in year 4 so QB is a downgrade off the bat. Our RBs are better, but I’d be better than Gore. WRs are better but we grossly overrated how much. It also doesn’t help that either Saleh or LaFleur are burying our 2nd year WR for reasons. Not even gonna touch TE because we basically pretend that position doesn’t exist. Our OL should be better but we’re basically running out 60% of the same garbage we did last year and lost our best tackle for 2 months. The downgrade at QB can’t be understated. And LaFleur isn’t doing Zach any favors. As for D, losing Lawson was a huge blow. Getting back Mosely definitely improved our LBs and our no name secondary was doing its job before the last 2, but we lost Joyner for the season, Maye has been hurt and then the DWI shit hit. Curry got hurt. We were thin to begin with. We may technically have more talent on D, but between the injuries and having a raw rookie at the most important offensive position definitely isn’t a recipe for success.

Bellys Lies and HomeoftheJets like this.
  6. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

You Homered for Gase as I recall..that living in Florida when he was at Miami proved to you firsthand how invaluable he really was

Then you saw light and admitted he was trash

People like you just follow a pattern...sorry but four games from now you will singing a different tune

7. REVISion

We absolutely have more talent this year. Our CB's are a lot better, we added talent on the DL and the talent on offense is quite a bit better than last year. Rookie Wilson is a slight downgrade from third year Darnold but we have better players at OL, RB and WR.

Acad23 likes this.
  8. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

Till the end of 2022??

I don't think I can handle a 27 game shit parade

I am depressed enough every Sunday

I have dual allegiance now to another favorite Team to keep my sanity

The Raiders are 5-2 and my sons girlfriends father is a big Las Vegas Fan...so got something bright on the horizon

NoodleArm and tomdeb like this.
  9. Trainer

Trainer Well-Known Member

For the first couple of weeks, the defense looked like it was going to be solid. The d line was getting penetration, the young corners were playing better than expected, Mosley and Quinnen looked like a good pairing. We had a foundation to build on... we thought. Now it looks like the defense has quit before they even step out on the field. The league has figured out our defense, and our offense can't figure out anything.

We were hopeful going into the season because last year's shit-show was so bad, we thought "it has to get better, it can't possibly be worse". Welp, the shit-show has gotten worse and there's no cure in sight. What was good is bad and what was bad is worse.

Maybe the injury to Zach forces the JD, Saleh, and the coaching staff to re-evaluate everything. I am not hopeful.

REVISion likes this.
  10. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

I don't think it matters if Saleh is or isn't. Saleh is the HC right now and as such, the team's fortunes rise and fall with him. JD isn't gonna bounce Saleh before his contract is up. Saleh can go 2-15 the next 2 years and he still won't be fired. Why? Who would you replace Saleh with? The Jets don't hire former HC's so the next guy will be yet another HC student going to Jet University for his degree in HC. Its the Jets. Its how they roll.

cmcm750203 likes this.
  11. REVISion

I think what's most frustrating is how predictable this was in some ways.

We were pounding the table for JD to do more to address the OL in free agency. After a couple games this year we kept saying it was only a matter of time before Wilson got hurt, which would hurt his development.

The front office and coaching staff kept feeding us the "it's fine, we're improving" bullshit, which was clearly bullshit. They bought into their own bullshit.

NYJetsO12, tomdeb and Cman68 like this.
  12. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I no longer think it is ridiculous to ask this question. If he took a focused look at the team over the bye to figure out what was wrong and came up with only minor tweaking and no massive changes to the offensive approach and who plays, then he's in over his head and incompetent. He might eventually learn but at this point, I'm on the verge of saying fuck him and fuck the Jets. I'm sick of this pathetic BS.

13. Trainer

Trainer Well-Known Member

Yes, they bought into their own bullshit, but my greater fear is that they bought into the media hype and were snookered by 31 other GM's into taking a QB they should not have taken. That they talked themselves into the consolation prize when they lost out on Lawrence. If that's the case, and his teammates are not sold on him, we're screwed because the offense, defense, and special teams will say "fuck it" (which I hope is not what we're seeing).
    Lord, I hope I'm wrong, but these guys are not as smart as they think they are.

14. tomdeb

tomdeb Well-Known Member

I could not believe the lack of LB play by the jets the last 2 games. Good grief! I know Mosely was out today, but it looked like the jets were playing without any LBs. Douglas and Saleh GREATLY overestimated the two mid-round rookie safeties that they started at LB this year. They really need to address LB (and about everything else) in the off season.

15. Linebacker712

Linebacker712 Well-Known Member

There's not a single player on the 52 man roster who has shown that they can play in the NFL at any level. Not one single player. That's on the coach. It's on Saleh because the collapse is completely team wide. The 2021 Jets are on track to be possibly the worst team in NFL history. The fact that they have only even led once in a game is beyond comprehensible. The fact that they haven't scored a single point in the 1st quarter says that Saleh isn't preparing the team or even scouting properly. Also they're getting beat by weak teams. It would be one thing to get destroyed by the Chiefs, Bucs, Bills, Cardinals, etc, but they are not even putting up fights against bottom 5 teams!

It seems like Saleh is either not ready or is just not head coach material. I'm hoping, however unlikely, that this CS is one and done.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  16. FrontOfficeFanatic

FrontOfficeFanatic Well-Known Member

I thought Saleh was the right guy when we hired him--considering a lot of the elite candidates weren't going to come once we lost out on the #1 pick. There were multiple sources that confirmed that. Besides having a sure thing at QB--there's literally nothing about coming here that's attractive. Bad ownership, horrible media, impatient fans, poor facilities and high taxes.

Saleh was a solid choice all things considered--is respected around the league and did have a good resume as a defensive coordinator--charismatic.

The big names like Matt Campbell, Bill Cowher, Lincoln Reilly, Jim Harbaugh weren't going to come here unless we had something to offer like that #1 overall pick with TL.

Those guys still aren't going to want to come here--not then, not now and not ever....unless this team is sold to a true visionary as an owner that is able to create a vision.

Saleh will get two years for sure and I am rooting hard for him to turn things around.

Borat likes this.
  17. Savatage

Savatage Well-Known Member

Hennessey's snaps were perfect! Rethink!

Bro, I'm with you.

18. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

You put impatient fans on that list?

How dare you! :mad:

19. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I'm as upset as anything, but this post is utter nonsense.

bicketybam and KY Jets Fan like this.
  20. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

I was the one saying this too, but OL did improve - a lot. The injury was not a miss by OL - it was a bad block by Griffin after a roll out. OL actually held their guys in check.