Is Joe Morgan a racist?

Discussion in 'Baseball Forum' started by nyscene911, Jun 6, 2006.

?

Is Joe Morgan Racist

1. Yes

42.6%
  2. The Opposite of "Yes" (That's "No" People)

57.4%
  1. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

Maybe he just knows who can ball.

2. LolTolhurst

LolTolhurst Banned

true...I never have jungle fever...the thought sickens me

3. l3ol3o

l3ol3o New Member

Bingo. The best players will play in the league no matter if they are black, white, orange, or green. Its better for the league to have better players. What a concept that is.

4. kinghenry89

kinghenry89 New Member

That's one of the stupidest things I've ever read.

Basically what Morgan is saying is that diversity is good. Diversity exposes you to different cultures and people. Baseball used to be filled with black players. As a former black baseball player, Joe Morgan is dissapointed that the number of blacks in baseball is rapidly declining.

Believe it or not, blacks and hispanics are not the same thing. The rising number of Dominicans in baseball has absolutely nothing to with the declining number of blacks.

If Morgan had said "I wish less white players got drafted" it would be one thing. What he said is totally different.

#24 kinghenry89, Jun 6, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2005
  5. BIG COUNTRY

BIG COUNTRY Well-Known Member

If someone said there needs to be more white people in the NBA a shitstorm would be brought on them. Morgan can say this and get away with it, I dont feel its racist yet I voted yes because if it happened the other way around its racist. So my vote is basically a big FU to the media.

6. odessa14

odessa14 Banned

So instead of having the best players for the game, we'll have affirmitive action in sports also, woo hoo. It's so true when they say diversity is the destruction of excellence.

also how does diverisity expose us to different cultures in a game? I think the only thing that teams and the fans want, is to win.

7. typeOnegative13NY

typeOnegative13NY Well-Known Member

:rofl: I know they are not the same thing. I just think Morgans comment was stupid. Maybe there are just less black players going towards baseball these days. My point is that no one is stopping them from towards baseball,so Morgans comment was not placed well as he didn't need to bring that into it. Race is certainly not an issue in baseball,it just so happens that these days the best players,or most of them are coming from the latin direction.

*Edit* Maybe I should just STFU because to tell you the truth,I didn't even hear the guy say this. I read it in this thread for the first time.

#27 typeOnegative13NY, Jun 6, 2006
    Last edited: Jun 6, 2006
  8. 1028

1028 Active Member

No WAY!?? :eek:hmy:

9. LolTolhurst

LolTolhurst Banned

true, definitely a double-standard these days

10. jetophile

jetophile Bruce Coslet's Daughter

Whether or not you meant your avatar to be incendiary or a joke, man, is that poor. Maybe I'm missing something, and if I am, I'm glad. It's alright for me to talk about it.

11. Cakes

Cakes Mr. Knowledge 2010

His point is that more black people will attend games, buy MLB merchandise, support the game of baseball, etc. if more black players are drafted and eventually make the Major Leagues.
    And that is why he feels more blacks in baseball will be good for the game of baseball. His comment was hardly a racist comment.

12. Mantana Soss

Mantana Soss Active Member

Kicking a dude in the balls is no problem, but a plunger to a girl's face is significantly worse, eh? It was meant to be short lived anyway.

13. typeOnegative13NY

typeOnegative13NY Well-Known Member

No,thats not racist at all,but if a player is good,then they will be drafted. I don't think him commenting on race was nessasary. To me it sounds like he was saying,hey theres a bunch of black players but no one is picking thm because they are black. Maybe he would have been better off saying something like base ball needs to be re-introduced to the black youth of America.

14. WhiteShoeWillis

WhiteShoeWillis Well-Known Member

Why does it matter how many black/white/hispanic players are in MLB?

I think we need more oriental people on this site. Does this not sound just as rediculous?

15. Cakes

Cakes Mr. Knowledge 2010

He's not saying people (read: the whites making these player selections) are passing over blacks because they are black.

He is saying that more black people will follow baseball when more black players start playing. I don't think he said or implied that he wants affirmative action put in place. He was just saying that he hopes more black players are drafted, which would indicate that more black kids are playing the sport once again. Then maybe the percentage of blacks in the big leagues will increase, which would mean more money and fans for baseball because after all people tend to follow and like stuff they can relate to. Look at all the whites these days that are turned off on basketball. #1 reason I hear is due to the lack of whites and the hip-hop/thug culture permeating through the league.

16. Cakes

Cakes Mr. Knowledge 2010

If people were watching us post and paying money to see our typed words, then it would be good to have some Asians here. It would bring in the Asian fans, which would result in more support for this site.

17. LolTolhurst

LolTolhurst Banned

yeah, this site could use a couple number-crunchers

j/k

18. WhiteShoeWillis

WhiteShoeWillis Well-Known Member

Why would anyone give a sh!t whether the players of the sport they're watching are black/white/hispanic? I think people watch sports for a number of reasons, but because their are a bunch of (insert race here) players on TV is probably not high on many peoples lists. I'm sure I could be completely wrong but I'd be very surprised to find out otherwise.

19. Cakes

Cakes Mr. Knowledge 2010

Many people do care. Some black people started following golf after Tiger Woods appeared.

Look, many things come down to money. The more blacks in baseball, the more likely there will be more black stars in baseball. It helps in marketing the sport to black people. This brings in money.

This is a money issue. Morgan's comment was money-related.

20. Royal Tee

Royal Tee Girls juss wanna have fun

Partially true.
    The fact is , There were many black golfers who were/are not allowed to play at the "prestegious " Courses.

They may be more watching but he mostly made an impact to the younger generation.

btw, I have no problem w/ Joe Morgan's statement. Although I believe the best players should be drafted for their game not their race, he is entitled to his opinion and he believes that the game would be better.